+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Windows Thread, Thats gratitude for you! Comments after Exchange 2007 upgrade in Technical; Hi all, has anyone actually migrated from the MyDesktop system to Zimbra? Its something i would like to do but ...

Thank Post

Mydesktop > Zimbra

Hi all,

has anyone actually migrated from the MyDesktop system to Zimbra? Its something i would like to do but wondered if anyone else has attempted this.

Thank Post
    We set up an IT clinic after school every Wed. Advertised it in every bulletin, meeting personal talk we could. After the first 3 weeks of sitting on our arses for the hour (& having some great games of BZFlag) we decided it would be by request. & we were inundated..... Ohh no I mean the other one.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    ...outundated?

Thank Post
    I have to agree with Ben on this one.

We used to send out emails detailing whats going on, post copies on the Intranet (front page) and place paper copies everywhere yet they still dont read them. Most just say they're not interested so dont bother reading it (even though they are the first ones to ask why something changed)
    We tried different layouts, a single simple message and even tacking it onto staff newsletters!

I've had staff sit in my office at a time convenient to them to walk through something and as soon as I start to walk them through it they mutter "this looks too technical so I wont listen, it'll be alright you can do it for me if I get stuck!" I dont mind sitting down for hours on end explaining something, I dont mind if I do it over lunch, start or end of the day or anytime inbetween, but if your not gonna listen to me when I try to explain (and believe me, It's not even technical stuff as the Yr8 I explained the same thing to got it?!?!?) then I dont see why I should then waste my time getting them to come to sessions or even one-to-ones!

I know it doesnt sound right as we are here to help (and its something I try very hard to please everybody) but it does get very frustrating at times.

/rant over

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BaccyNet View Post
    We used to send out emails detailing whats going on, post copies on the Intranet (front page) and place paper copies everywhere yet they still dont read them.
    There's a massive sentiment of "It's IT stuff, it won't affect me", or alternatively "It's IT stuff, it's boring". The third is "It's IT stuff, it'll all be in techno-speak", which is still a problem but I think it's easier to overcome.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    It's just basic project management -
    working out the customers requirements (not exchange 2007 in this case), testing on small groups of users, handing over the project with some training and documentation.

CyberNerd. Are you trying to wind me up with that comment?

Well, it worked.

Are you really suggesting I should have put in a trial server prior to the summer break to see if the most IT incompetant staff would like the new colour scheme and layout of Outlook Web Access 2007? -
    HELL NO!! If I followed that line of thought we would probably still be running NT4 & Windows 95 here. Some staff hate any kind of change - we moved from one well know MIS system to another and I had the same types of people phone me... with this classic line as soon as it went live..

" DO YOU REALISE THAT IT NOW TAKES ME FIVE MORE MOUSE CLICKS TO TAKE A REGISTER!! FIVE MORE..!!! THATS ALOT OVER THE SPACE OF A WEEK.." - I'm not joking either.. as though they were expecting me to do something about it!? No, I didn't realise that and nor do I care.. get on with it and stop whining.

I have been in this field of work a long time, probably alot longer than you Cybernerd so don't try and belittle my efforts as a lack of "basic project management"

I too am with Plexer on this, I have tried all reasonable approaches to train these staff in my own time but some/most just don't want to know. There are those who even resent being "forced" to use it. This upgrade was done for the benefit of everyone plus the 1700 kids who will be getting mailboxes on it - the post was just to show the gratitude of my efforts from certain members of staff almost as a joke; thankfully as the weeks gone on I am getting positive comments about the move from those who are actually above the ICT ability of your average Y7 student.

/rant over.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    I wasn't trying to wind you up, honest. I certainly don't have a problem with upgrading - but I do get annoyed with upgrades for upgrades sake. I'm sure staff do too. in my limited (but ITIL qualified) experience I found that staff are much happier if they are consulted prior to an upgrade and trained in how to use it. The last mail server upgrade I did was to zimbra, starting around april I did several weeks test with certain staff members before an install for September - just to get a feeling for what the pitfalls would be so that final migration would be smooth. I'm not saying I spent all my time on the upgrade, just don't rush it- You'll find yourself a lot less frustrated.

Thank Post
    Trust me, I'm not frustrated by their comments in the slightest - this post was intended to be lighthearted.

Oh dear, I really do think you are trying to wind me up. You are very condescending with what you say!

It wasn't an upgrade for upgrades sake, as mentioned at the start the old server was 5 years old and getting flakey.

I didn't rush it either. The whole upgrade was very carefully planned.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,664 Times in 2,261 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In some schools the teachers are very resistant and almost militant about having to learn something new IT wise. They effectively refuse to learn unless 'encouraged' by management. It drives me up the wall that people who go on about learning all day refuse to learn new things themselves.

In this situation the best way is simply to get management approval and chuck them in the deep end. Give them the option of training before hand but don't delay the project because they can't be bothered turning up. They will either sink or swim just like in the 'real world', if they keep being coddled they will never learn and will just get worse. So long as you have management support any complaints will just make the teachers involved incriminate themselves as being aversed to learning themselves.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123