+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Windows Thread, Problem getting RIS working in Technical; Originally Posted by u8dmtm But if I have two scopes then won't there be problems of machines not knowing which ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Problem getting RIS working

Quote Originally Posted by u8dmtm
    But if I have two scopes then won't there be problems of machines not knowing which one to get an IP from?
    Machines booting from PXE/RIS have the right client ID for the RIS scope. Everything else doesn't.

Thank Post

Couple of points..

1 - Is your RIS server multi-homed? If so, RIS must be authorised on all adapters

2 - Is DHCP Server installed (but inactive) on the RIS server? (check services list or add/remove programs, Windows components). If so, RIS will never work. If DHCP server service is on the RIS server, then it MUST be the active DHCP server also. If this is the case, you can try stopping and disabling the DHCP server service (a reboot might also help convince RIS that DHCP is no longer there). If that doesn't do it, remove the DHCP server component.

3 - I've installed RIS on dozens of sites and I've never had to mess about with the DHCP options. I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad idea, but it should not be necessary to get RIS working.

4 - Don't give up. It's worth the effort in the long run. When you do get it working check our AutoRIS (try a goggle search or look on the MSFN unattended site). It's another learnin curve but makes your RIS builds a lot slicker.

Thank Post

I had similar problems with RIS after upgrading servers from 2000 to 2003 about a year ago. I found the following worked for me:-

1) The RIS server must not be multihomed. I think there's a MS knowledgebase article about it somewhere.
    2) The RIS server must also be a DHCP server. It's not enough that there's a DHCP server somewhere else - it has to be the same machine.
    3) Make the RIS server your only DHCP server. Disable DHCP on your existing DHCP server.

I tried giving my RIS/DHCP server a small range out of my subnet, then excluding this range from my main DHCP server. The problem with this approach is that the RIS/DHCP server fills it range with other clients after while, and can't give out addresses for your RIS clients when you need it to. I gave up with this and made it my only DHCP server.

I've never had to do anything with the DHCP scope options. The only ones I have set are 003, 006, 015. I've never touched 60,66,67.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 931 Posts

My DHCP is seperate and works fine with RIS, all I did was authortise my RIS machine as a DHCP server from the Snap In and away it went.
    One key thing is 2 network cards = no RIS, bin one or disable it completely or else you won't get RIS to work at all.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by john
    One key thing is 2 network cards = no RIS, bin one or disable it completely or else you won't get RIS to work at all.
    Not true. Although Microsoft do not recommend using multi-homed RIS servers, they can work as long as RIS/DHCP is authorised on all networks and all networks have an active DHCP scope. I'm using a 2003 server at the moment with the loopback adapter installed and I'm installing RIS clients on my main network and on the loopback adapter no problem.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 931 Posts

I tried fudging mine and still it failed, its due for a change / revamp in LH server, so we will see. I can manage to manually install my Admin clients ~ 50 machines, only ever 1 or 2 need re-imaging a year, VS academic of ~350

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by OverWorked
    2) The RIS server must also be a DHCP server. It's not enough that there's a DHCP server somewhere else - it has to be the same machine.
    3) Make the RIS server your only DHCP server. Disable DHCP on your existing DHCP server.
    Just to update this for info if anyone else's having the same problems:

RIS can work if DHCP is on a different server. To get it working this way, the machine running RIS must not be running DHCP, but must still be authorised as a DHCP server (counter-intuitive, I know).

After installing RIS, make sure DHCP is uninstalled, then go to your 'proper' DHCP server and make sure your RIS server is authorised as a DHCP server (even though it isn't one).

This is what tripped me up for many months.

Thank Post

You do know this thread is over a year old? lol

Nath

Thank Post

That's how long it's taken me to work this out!

Thank Post

It is certainly the case that if that DHCP must be active if installed on a RIS server, which is what I was trying to get at here...

Thank Post

That's how long it's taken me to work this out!
    lol fair enough

Thank Post

@ajbritton - I'd read your post, but didn't understand it at the time. I should have asked for clarification!

I was just trying to make clear the bit about DHCP being authorised, but not being installed, in case anyone else was struggling. It all adds to the font of knowledge that this place is.

I'm very pleased now I've got RIS working, I can use it to do lots of other things, like create a clean machine for MSI creation, fix corrupt OSs etc...

Thank Post

@ajbritton - I'd read your post, but didn't understand it at the time. I should have asked for clarification!

I was just trying to make clear the bit about DHCP being authorised, but not being installed, in case anyone else was struggling. It all adds to the font of knowledge that this place is.

I'm very pleased now I've got RIS working, I can use it to do lots of other things, like create a clean machine for MSI creation, fix corrupt OSs etc...
    Sorry my post was not as clear as it should have been but glad that you've got it sussed now. I remember having to figure this out for myself and it was a nightmare. I ended up using a packet sniffer to work out what was going on. That said, I learnt quite a bit from that experience and I expect you did too!

Since you mention MSI creation, you might also consider using something like VMWare/Virtual PC, which can put your packaging PC back to a clean state in 0 (zero!) seconds using snapshots. I do this all the time (now using VMWare Server but I started out with Virtual PC). As long as you have a decent PC (I use P4 3.0GHz, 2Gb RAM), it's fine.

Thank Post

Since you mention MSI creation, you might also consider using something like VMWare/Virtual PC, which can put your packaging PC back to a clean state in 0 (zero!) seconds using snapshots.
    Now, why didn't I think of that? As it happens, I've got my RIS server on a virtual machine (set up in an emergency after SP2 stuffed RIS on my real servers and wouldn't allow a way back - but that's another story).

Right now I'm building a virtual machine with a vanilla XP installation for creating MSI packages. It's installing with RIS, running on my other virtual machine!

I've been using virtual machines for a while now, but didn't think of using one for this. No more lugging a spare desktop from another room and waiting for it to reinstall - hurray! \\/

Thank Post

I'm about to rollback to SP1 on my the DC because of WDS not working right - especially now I have got a machine or 7 to deploy XP to

Just cant get them to boot into RIS / WDS no matter what I try on the various machines, so unless anyone has any other ideas that messing around with DHCP [which I already tried], I'm gonna have to roll back and hope that works.

Nath.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast