+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, small Windows online problem after installing Ubuntu in Technical; I read the threads I thought would be relative to my situation, so if my question has been answered already, ...

Thank Post

small Windows online problem after installing Ubuntu

I read the threads I thought would be relative to my situation, so if my question has been answered already, my apologies.

Well, I downloaded and installed Ubuntu OS on my machine, just to try it out. It seems like a cool and easy operating to navigate through, and so far I like what I see and am able to do it with it.

Problem is, while Ubuntu is able to go online, Windows is incapable of it now. Going into the CMD prompt and doing IPCONFIG brings up "Unable to Query Host Name". My friend and I had this problem and I was able to fix it by uninstalling the Ethernet NIC adapter and letting Windows reinstall upon reboot. This time however, that solution seems to be a futile attempt, and right now I'm on Ubuntu trying to sort this out.

What happened to Windows online capability when I installed Ubuntu, and how can I get Windows to work online again?

Sorry if similiar problem has already been addressed and thanks!!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    try and reset tcp/ip
    How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP

The ubuntu install shouldn't touch windows other than resizing the partition. Also try setting a static ip.

Thank Post
    Yea I've already tried the Winsock Repair tool and tried resetting it manually, but just as with trying to uninstall and reinstall the Ethernet adapter, no luck yet. I'm just confused what could've cause the corruption(I'll call it that for now) between the time that I didn't reboot to complete Ubuntu's installation till after I rebooted.

I'm thinking I might have to uninstall Ubuntu

Thank Post
    How is ubuntu installed?

Is it the new feature where you can install it 'inside' windows? in a virtual machine? or on a separate partition/drive?

Your easiest path to sucess is probably installing it properly on it's own partition or drive and dual booting.

Thank Post
    Ubuntu 8.04 is on a partion and I get to choose from Windows or Ubuntu when the pc boots up

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by scalywag66 View Post
    Going into the CMD prompt and doing IPCONFIG brings up "Unable to Query Host Name".
    I assume this is from your home computer. How is your Internet connection provided - through an ADSL router, or (more likely as you're in the US) a cable router? Possibly your router is spotting what it thinks are two separate computers seemingly using the same MAC address (the "hardware" address of your network card) and is thinking that someone is trying to spoof your PC to use your connection. Might want to check your router's settings, maybe see if there's a "flush cache" option or something.

Also, I know when we had a cable Internet connection here we had to wait for the cable company's system to update before it would let a newly plugged-in device connect to the network. If you connect your PC directly to your connection with a cable modem rather that a router then it could be that your cable company isn't letting the device on the network yet. I know our cable connection used to update itself twice a day.

The above might or might not have anything to do with your question, they are simply guesses.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Solution remembered and am back online on Windows!!! What a newb I am. I can't believe I forgot about the other step to fixing the issue.

All you have to do for if the machine can't grab an i.p. is...

1. search for the file 'tcpip.sys'
    - results will show 5 or so files named 'tcpip'
    - 2 of the results(both will be named 'tcpip.sys') will be from a recent modified date while the other 3(named 'tcpip.sys.original') will be from a much earlier date

2. delete the two recent 'tcpip.sys' files

3. rename the 'tcpip.sys.original' files to 'tcpip.sys'

4. uninstall the NIC Ethernet adapter
    - Start > right click My Computer > properties > click Hardware tab > Device Manager > Network Adapters > right click NIC Ethernet Adapter and uninstall

5. reboot
    - when Windows restarts, it'll detect NIC Adapter as 'New Hardware found' and will install

6. go online!!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread