+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Adobe and locked down student accounts...help in Technical; Didnt know where to put this, spent 10minutes on the frontpage thinking "where the hell does this go" gave up ...
    Thank Post

Adobe and locked down student accounts...help

Didnt know where to put this, spent 10minutes on the frontpage thinking "where the hell does this go" gave up in the end so plonked it here

Right...

Adobe premiere elements 2.0, does anyone have this running on there network? i need to get it to run under a locked down students account but im getting an error:

Adobe premeire elements has an encountered an error:
    [\dev\underdog\Libraries\ASL\Foundation\Src\Directo ryRegistry.cpp-174]

The program runs fine as an administrator, the odd thing is i have tried enabling loopback processing and setting the students as a local admin of the particular machine and yet it still doesnt run, it will only need to be run on 8 machines so i dont mind doing something that may need to be done on each individually

Any suggestions to save me pulling my hair out?

Cheers

Thank Post
    Have you tried replacing the permissions on the install folder [and possibly Adobe Shared within "Common Files"] to Full Control to whatever Group these students who need to use it are in?

If not, its worth a shot, and remember to replicate it recursively

Nath.

Thank Post
    Cheers, just tried that but no luck

Thank Post
    Some of their products are terrible on domains. Its like Adobe dont understand security and the need for it lol

Have you looked at this:

Adobe Forums - PE4 workflow repository.cpp-190 error

It might help.

I wonder whether its trying to do something with the registry and naturally, a restricted user isnt able to edit the registry i guess.

See if the above link helps... havent read through it as havent the time but thought the last post looked good

Regards
    Nath.

Thank Post
    Hmm had a look through, i tried changing the location of the scratch disks bit like one guy mentioned but that didnt fix it and i dont have any application data redirection enabled so it cant be that either

Why oh why are adobe so crap, the last adobe program i had to install was there PDF creation software, what a bloody faff that was

Any more ideas?

EDIT: one thing ive noticed in all those peoples issues is that they could at aleast open the program to the point of choosing a project, mine barely even starts loading up, the splash screen appears and instantly gives me the error
    Last edited by mrbios; 22nd August 2008 at 11:36 AM.

Thank Post
    Create a new student account, assign it all the usual policies except give it the ability for 'Start -> Run' and give it the command prompt and registry editor.

Run the program - it should fail just as before.
    Download FileMon and RegMon

Using RUNAS - run FileMon as a local admin, clear the log of filemon and stop the logging.

Start Filemon logging - run the App.
    When it fails, stop Filemon.

Apply a filter that has the word 'DENIED' in it.

Do the same with Regmon.

These will hopefully point out what the app is trying to do, where it's trying to do it and why it's failing.

It's a tricky process to get right but it does mean you can find a fix for it (hopefully) and patch it on the PCs that need it now and in the future.

Az

Thank Post
    Thanks azreal that sounds excellent ill give that a go tomorrow

(off home now, got to love laid back summers)

Thank Post
    Having not used regmon, filemon or processmanager before i have output the filtered adobe premiere elements to a CSV (see attached)

Could someone take a look at this for me and tell me what they think could be wrong?

Theres alot of different things i can see that COULD be wrong but which one is causing the problem is beyond me

EDIT: reuploaded with the "SUCCESS" items removed

EDIT2: Ive ran it as a teacher and it gets alot of the same errors even though the program works, the main one i notice that isnt there on the teachers one but is there on the students is the one which states a result of "SHARING VIOLATION" on "C:\Windows\system32\config\system"
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by mrbios; 28th August 2008 at 10:23 AM.

Thank Post
    Dont know if anyones able to help me but ive wittled it down to this:

I can run adobe on a teacher profile + perms that is running off student policys
    I can run adobe on a teacher profile + perms that is running off teacher policys

I can not run adobe on a student profile + perms on student policys
    I can not run adobe on a student profile + perms on teacher policys

I attempted to run adobe on a teacher profile with student perms but it wont load the profile and i cant seem to allow teachers perms to load it so couldnt test that

this is driving me nuts, im so close yet i feel so far

Both profiles are mandatory profiles, the main difference being that the profiles run from different locations (but the same server), i cant think of how the student permissions would effect a program running even when i give the student local admin and running teacher policys!

Thank Post
    are the teacher and student AD groups different in some way?

i.e. are teachers set up as Power Users [or something similar] and the Students arent?

a result of "SHARING VIOLATION" on "C:\Windows\system32\config\system"
    because with regards to accessing that, limited users arent allowed write access within the windows directory structure or something like that... same with Program Files i think.

Just a thought anyhow, though dont know how you get around that unless u find the files that the program modifys on the fly etc, if indeed thats what happens.

Cheers
    Nath.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    which states a result of "SHARING VIOLATION" on "C:\Windows\system32\config\system"
    This in itself is worrying - it should not be trying to write here, very few things should.

Login as someone you CAN'T run it as - fire up filemon/regmon/procmon, let it start monitoring - then fire up adobe, get to the error bit, make a note of the time (to the second if possible) - close down adobe, then stop the monitoring.

Could you then save this (leaving it all intact) somewhere so we can take a look? The information you provided didn't yield anything immediately but it may not be complete. You want to monitor both registry and file access/writes (which if I recall, is default behaviour) - just incase, use filemon and regmon seperately.

So do 1 run as described with filemon, save it.
    Repeat with regmon.

This gives 2 files that means it's easy to pick through seperate file/registry issues - might also help with tracking it down faster

Az

Thank Post
    to be honest i only signed up to give you what i found worked...

my situation was a little different....students could run it but staff couldn't

this was because of the location of My Documents.

i found that the staff account was looking to a My Documents folder that doesn't point in the right area. I told it to "restore default" and copied the staff account to default user....voila! it works!

give it a shot and good luck!

Thank Post
    Right an update on how far i have got with this, its now a deeper problem...

The program will now run, the reason it wouldnt? because when loading it up it was looking for a folder \\fs1\home$\teacher\mbtest now i know what this test account was, it was a previous technicians test account, but why on earth is it looking for this i wondered?

\\fs1\home$\teacher\ is the location of the teachers home drives with \\fs1\home$\200x\ being the usual location of the students folders (changing the last number depending on year they started)

Well it seems to be redirecting the my documents folder to it, even though ive told the policys to redirect to the media store, i think its picking it up out of the student profile from when it was created, the reason it wouldnt work before is that i had deny access for students on the teacher folder (and rightfully so) temporarily removed them (not that students can access the folder anyway) and re-created the mbtest folder with student write access

After doing that i had a problem where by the folder i created would delete itself 5minutes later, so i removed all modify permissions and that seems to have done the trick

So it does appear the problem was along the same lines as what madams has said, but with a cunning twist

NOW...where could it be getting the fake redirect from? in the profile? maybe a dodgy policy? i think i need to recreate the student profile anyway as its so old so i might start with that

Thanks for the help btw guys, running filemon and regmon seperately seemed to be the way to go with finding the issue

Thank Post
    Now gone through an edited the ntuser.man for students.... WHAT A MESS!

things pointing back to the days of past technicians, desktops and servers which no longer exist and havent existed for nigh on 2 years!

Removed all of that crap and FINALLY i no longer need the above mbtest folder, the adobe folder is now automaticly created in the users home folder

Some further testing is needed of the ntuser ive created though i think

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread