+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, Have I destroyed something? in Technical; Yesterday, I restricted access to the GAL by way of fighting with different permission settings. This morning, when attempting to ...

Thank Post

Have I destroyed something?

Yesterday, I restricted access to the GAL by way of fighting with different permission settings. This morning, when attempting to save any calendar items, I get:

"The connection to the Microsoft Exchange server is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action"

Now, the machine is definitely connected, as I'm sending and receiving email. I've just been back in and reset the permissions that I changed yesterday. No difference.

This is what happens when your line manager demands that you do something 'immediately' whilst you have three hundred other things on the go, and haven't been involved in the setup of the Exchange server. I'm not taking responsibility for this one, I was just doing my job (and succeeded, I mean - I did manage to restrict the opening of the GAL as asked!)

Any ideas?

Re: Have I destroyed something?

Found these after a quick google.

Go to your Control Panel in Windows --> Mail --> View --> Change or View Existing Mail accounts --> Change the mail account that shows up --> More Settings -->

On the "General Tab" make sure you choose "Manaully control my connection state" and then select the radio dial button that says "connect with the network"

Restart Outlook
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/897716

Thank Post

Eeek!!! That quoted one wasn't right - I selected to connect with network, restarted Outlook and it just wouldn't start: "the operation failed" (aren't M$'s error messages good?)

As for the M$ RPC - I haven't made any changes to ISA, and I can't see any RPC errors on the machines.

It appears that those machines running in cached mode where the user doesn't have admin rights can't get into Outlook, but those who have admin rights just can't save stuff onto their calendar.

I'm going off sick tomorrow...

Must be a permissions problem, seeing that is all that has be changed over the past 24 hours.

Sorry can't be much more help. If I had any Exchange experience I'd pop over and have a look.

Thank Post

That's what I thought - I've changed all permissions back and am forcing an update at 10am this morning.

I just wondered whether any of our other Exchange users on here might be able to help....

Thank Post

I find that permissions can take a while to apply, how are you forcing the update?

Thank Post

My exchange server died yesterday morning at around 9:30. Masses of disk errors and taking 4hours to boot up. Currently now trying to repair the disk which has 70 bad sectors on it.

I love these times.

Check the event log on the machine if you find an RPC error follow this guide.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;830914

Thank Post

Sorry, the forced update change was the update of the Offline Global Address List.

Usually all other changes take 15mins.

It *appears* to be sorted now. Alright, our students can access the GAL again, but if it's between that and no Outlook for staff, they can find another way around it when I'm not here ;-)

Looking at the other problems we had (printing not working), I thought that RPC errors might be the cause - although nothing in the event log on the machine.

I also wonder if it could be something to do with the fact that it's 27degrees in here at the moment and getting warmer?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

I also wonder if it could be something to do with the fact that it's 27degrees in here at the moment and getting warmer?
    Probably not the cause of these particular errors but this is a major problem that will need to be fixed.
    27c in the winter is too hot! come summer you machines will crash and the disks may suffer permanent damage

also wonder if it could be something to do with the fact that it's 27degrees in here at the moment and getting warmer?
    If I remember, that office was the first place in the UK to reach the magic 37.7 degrees Celsius by May 8O

Thank Post

Remember folks: I'm a mere IT technician (sorry, administrator). I have no clout in this place.

We're now at 29degrees. I know it'll get hotter (yesterday we hit 30), and I've spoken to my line manager and requested efficient air conditioning - even been as far as to get proper quotations, but it's been refused.

Ah well, it's not my problem, being a "lowly" technician, is it?? At least I can say "told you so" ;-)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

Air Con is an essential part of any server room.
    Your school clearly has no intention of protecting its investment, the equipment must be kept within the manufacturers tolerances or it won't work and will not be covered by warranty.
    they really need to get this written into the budget, otherwise they are just wasting money and risking the entire infrastructure collapsing at random.

There is also a health and safety issue here.

your bursar is a ****wit for not paying attention to this, Its not a huge amount of cash. Write to the head/governors.

Thank Post

Don't forget the effect of heat on the lifespan of components, I would be especially worried about the hard disks. Oh, and ups batteries. Hmm, tapes too. There are reasons why they put max and min temps for components.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I've recently had authorisation for Air Con in our room and we're looking at less than 5K for the units and installation probably another 1K for the electricans to come out and run some 3 phase wiring to our room. Not really a huge expense when for the same amount of money you could get say half a class of pcs or three/four servers.

They need to address this write something to the bursar and the head stating the cost of replacement parts/servers for the school because as stated previously manufacturer's won't cover the equipment because it's not a fault with them its a fault of the environment!

Wes

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Also if it gets too hot you can legally refuse to work in the room! It is a health and safety issue 37.7 degrees? Yeah my old server room was like that the servers started to fall down when it got to around 39 - 40 and I started to soon after I think I was off sick for a couple of days!

Wes

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information