+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, Have I destroyed something? in Technical; Hello, another 30°c environment here, too. Best place in winter, worst in the summer. We've only asked for air con ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Have I destroyed something?

Hello, another 30°c environment here, too. Best place in winter, worst in the summer. We've only asked for air con since, ooohh.... end of 2002?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Lol! Sounds familiar, this school though is very good I asked about it last year got a quote round about august/september and having looked at the budget they've agreed so I'm happy

Wes

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

We were told we could have some (read: 'one') £80 coolers from Maplin's. The ones that need an ice tray re-filling every day. The ones that take up a lot of previous floor space. The ones that won't make a huge difference at all to a server room at 30degc. All 3 ICT classrooms have them, gotta keep the teachers happy in the summer haven't they But the actual equipment that runs the school? No chance. When our NM gets back it may be advantageous to prepare a letter detailing why we need it and what could happen if the temperature stays as it is.

Also if it gets too hot you can legally refuse to work in the room! It is a health and safety issue 37.7 degrees?
    IIRC there is a minimum temp, but not a maximum temp.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Be careful if you elevate the environment/heat issue to health and safety on an official level - the school may well make another work area available for you to work in, but not necessarrily where you'd like it to be (i.e. corner of a classroom).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:37 am Post subject: Re: Have I destroyed something?
    Be careful if you elevate the environment/heat issue to health and safety on an official level - the school may well make another work area available for you to work in, but not necessarrily where you'd like it to be (i.e. corner of a classroom).
    .....wearing a 'dunce' hat

What is the maximum/minimum temperature in the workplace?

The Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992 lay down particular requirements for most aspects of the working environment

Regulation 7 of these Regulations deals specifically with the temperature in indoor workplaces and states that:

1. During working hours, the temperature in all workplaces inside buildings shall be reasonable.
    However, the application of the regulation depends on the nature of the workplace i.e. a bakery, a cold store, an office, a warehouse.

The associated ACOP goes on to explain:
    ‘The temperature in workrooms should provide reasonable comfort without the need for special clothing. Where such a temperature is impractical because of hot or cold processes, all reasonable steps should be taken to achieve a temperature which is as close as possible to comfortable. 'Workroom' means a room where people normally work for more than short periods.

The temperature in workrooms should normally be at least 16 degrees Celsius unless much of the work involves severe physical effort in which case the temperature should be at least 13 degrees Celsius. These temperatures may not, however, ensure reasonable comfort, depending on other factors such as air movement and relative humidity.’

Where the temperature in a workroom would otherwise be uncomfortably high, for example because of hot processes or the design of the building, all reasonable steps should be taken to achieve a reasonably comfortable temperature, for example by:

* insulating hot plants or pipes;
    * providing air-cooling plant;
    * shading windows;
    * siting workstations away from places subject to radiant heat.

Where a reasonably comfortable temperature cannot be achieved throughout a workroom, local cooling should be provided. In extremely hot weather fans and increased ventilation may be used instead of local cooling.

Where, despite the provision of local cooling, workers are exposed to temperatures which do not give reasonable comfort, suitable protective clothing and rest facilities should be provided. Where practical there should be systems of work (for example, task rotation) to ensure that the length of time for which individual workers are exposed to uncomfortable temperatures is limited.

References

* L24, Workplace health, safety and welfare, (ISBN 0717604136 - available from HSE Books)
    * The HSE guidance publication, Thermal Comfort in the Workplace, seeks to define thermal comfort, and states:
    'An acceptable zone of thermal comfort for most people in the UK lies roughly between 13°C (56°F) and 30°C (86°F), with acceptable temperatures for more strenuous work activities concentrated towards the bottom end of the range, and more sedentary activities towards the higher end.'
    * HSG194, Thermal Comfort in the Workplace, (ISBN 0717624684 - available from HSE Books)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Just enable the temprature failsafes on your servers...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I like Geoff's idea! At least they'll know when its too hot lol No service sorry they have overheated!

Wes

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts

We are just having to look at a bigger Air Con for the server room, its aspen pump has failed again, and its only just over a year old this pump, we had it in bits and the door open for 5 minutes whist we fixed the pump to stop it leaking today and i am not kidding but talk about heat, whoah! So its under capacity now the aircon, so we need a bigger one for the server room and instead of waste, we need the little one for our office as that does get very hot, it was about 22C today with the door wedged open! and we dont have main servers in our office. I just need the air con service firm to come round and send the right engineer to tell the Bursar we must have a bigger one as the present one is overloaded.....

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by wesleyw
    I like Geoff's idea! At least they'll know when its too hot lol No service sorry they have overheated!

Wes
    Could go a step further and reset the server evertime you get too hot :twisted:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

The Temprature failsafes will shut the server(s) down.

Thank Post

The spirit of BOFH is alive and well on eduGeek

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    The Temprature failsafes will shut the server(s) down.
    Reset server when YOU get hot :twisted:

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by indiegirl
    It *appears* to be sorted now. Alright, our students can access the GAL again, but if it's between that and no Outlook for staff, they can find another way around it when I'm not here ;-)
    If your system is set up the same as ours, mandatory profile for kids with Outlook matching username to mailalias, to give automatic access then... A user needs to be able to see their address in a GAL for this matching to occur. What I have done is create GALs for each yeargroup (2003, 2004 etc.) and staff, with permissions only for them. That way when a user logs on, they only see their peers in the GAL (send - To whatist in Outlook). To allow choosing of other users I have a second set of address lists in the All Address Lists area, which have more open permissions - these then are available in the drop down address list in Outlook.

Tim

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information