+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Reintalling windows licence key questions in Technical; Hi I got a laptop and I would like to reinstall windows on it. I do not have the media ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Reintalling windows licence key questions

Hi I got a laptop and I would like to reinstall windows on it. I do not have the media for it so could I install windows xp with another disk and licence key and then change the key to the one affixed to the laptop? I got access to VLK media but I don't think that will work with the OEM key I have on the laptop.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholab View Post
    Hi I got a laptop and I would like to reinstall windows on it. I do not have the media for it so could I install windows xp with another disk and licence key and then change the key to the one affixed to the laptop?
    No need, you just need to find another copy of the Windows XP OEM install media and use the license key on the back of your laptop. The install media isn't linked to a specific license key at all, any copy will do.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    ...but bear in mind some Windows XP OEM's that come with Royalty OEM machines such as Dell, HP/Compaq, etc.. are locked to that OEM so they possibly wont work on another machine.

I had one set of HP laptops that had the XP disk with it. appeared to be a normal disk but was actually a modified one which put some HP stuff in, so be cautious of that.

Hologramed ones I believe can only be original, unmodified OEM discs so use one of them where possible.

Cheers
    Nath

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    My plan

• Use media and key to install windows this was the media MS sent out if you where a told your machine was not genuine.

• Then I change the key on the install to one stuck on the laptop

Can I change key on different version of windows like OEM and VLK basically I got a laptop that needs a reinstall and it has no rescue media or any way to create it and I trying to not over licence.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Hi I got a laptop and I would like to reinstall windows on it. I do not have the media for it so could I install windows xp with another disk and licence key and then change the key to the one affixed to the laptop? I got access to VLK media but I don't think that will work with the OEM key I have on the laptop.
    As already mentioned, if you can get an original OEM disc (and is the same version of Windows i.e XP Home and XP Pro are different) then it should work just fine.

Use media and key to install windows this was the media MS sent out if you where a told your machine was not genuine.
    Then I change the key on the install to one stuck on the laptop
    If your installation is considered not genuine, chances are it's most likely a blacklisted Volume License Key (VLK) which is the most common method of installing Windows illegally as it doesn't require activation. It's Windows Genuine Advantage which identifies Windows as not genuine, like when you visit Windows Update.
    If Microsoft have sent you out a disc with a key, then I would stick with this, you cannot go wrong and Windows should be classified genuine.

Can I change key on different version of windows like OEM and VLK basically I got a laptop that needs a reinstall and it has no rescue media or any way to create it and I trying to not over licence.
    Different versions of Windows use different keys. XP Home OEM and Retail are different and XP Pro OEM, Retail and Volume are different. The same applies with Windows Vista.

Thank Post
    I've found that OEM product keys for Windows never activate, regardless of the media.

I've taken an XP Home Retail CD, changed the PID, reburnt and refused to take the product key.

A lot of OEMs pre-activate their copies, and the product keys supplied with the laptop are not valid for activation. This is especially true for Vista Home editions.

Your best hope is to get hold of the system restore disc for you make/model.

This can be expensive, Toshiba have quoted me 20 in the past.

If you have contacts at retail outlets however, it can be useful. I got hold of system restore CD for a Patriot laptop(PC World re badged Advent), from a guy I know who works there. Otherwise the only way to get hold of it, would have been to pay the PC World TechGuys to do it for me!

7. Thanks to Trapper from:

dhicks (5th August 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
    I've found that OEM product keys for Windows never activate, regardless of the media.
    This is an anti-piracy measure. So many people had sold the key on their OEM stickers ('COA' sticker, the thing on the side or back of your computer) that MS stopped any of them working, and instead issued three XP keys that can be used with an OEM disk. They are here:

Preserving OEM Pre-Activation when Re-installing Windows XP

How this solves Microsoft's problem I don't know, but it should solve yours.

9. 3 Thanks to powdarrmonkey:

dhicks (5th August 2008), kesomir (5th August 2008), Trapper (6th August 2008)

Thank Post
    I don't understand?

Does this mean that if you have a trying to reinstall from a Generic OEM disc you should not use the key on your sticker but instead should use one of these 3 keys that MS publish themselves and it will activate online?

Isnt that likely to promote piracy rather than stop it?

Thank Post
    My brain is pickled today as whats to stop anyone just using them, knowing they wont activate? I think there is more to it than that, or that they are meant to be used in conjunction with sysprep but who knows!?!

*goes to take a virtual lie down*

Thank Post
    Yes, exactly. If you're installing off a disk supplied by your manufacturer, and you have a Royalty OEM sticker on your machine with a key on, you should instead provide the appropriate key from that technet article.

You will know if you have a royalty OEM key because the sticker will have the manufacturer's logo on - Dell, Acer and HP all have these. In most cases, this disk is solid in colour while a true OEM disk is holographic. If you don't have a logo on your sticker, it is true OEM and you should be able to activate using the key on it - if not, call the phone activation and explain this and they will issue you a new key.

I have no idea why, I don't move in such exalted circles.
    Last edited by powdarrmonkey; 5th August 2008 at 03:36 PM.

Thank Post
    Also, read the note following the product key list:

"Instead of implementing any of the solutions outlined below, Volume License customers can use Volume License media to install the same operating system that was licensed from an OEM without acquiring a volume license for a PC being re-imaged..."

While i think this used to be a no-no... though I'm quite sure we all did it anyhow... they are saying if you are a volume customer, you can just use your volume media and key [providing the computer has a legal OEM COA on it].

Clarity may be needed here though as i may be reading that wrong lol

Nath.

Thank Post
    Ok, my post above is now correct

@tarquel: This means that if you're a company who subscribe to volume licensing and you buy a machine with a royalty OEM sticker on, you can use your volume license media and key without aquiring a seperate license (since it already is licensed, through the OEM scheme). However, you must be a VL subscriber, which practically no individuals are. It is just a quick way of buying a load of OEM machines and imaging them quickly with sysprep, without having the type the key in a million times.

Thank Post
    Exactly! MS used to deem that as illegal licensing a few years back however

You had to buy the volume license to go on each PC.

Naturally we didnt. Only crazy people must have as it was purely cashing in, as each machine purchased must have had some capital going toward the XP license on it, and why pay yet again for what you already bought, just to help deployment? Very naughty MS.... glad they've changed all that.

Nath.
    Last edited by tarquel; 5th August 2008 at 03:52 PM. Reason: typo brain

Thank Post
    It was quite ridiculous, yes. I don't know anybody who actually bothered...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread