In principle.. I think.. maybe.. you can install RSAT on a Vista box, point it at a 2K3 AD, start configuring GPO preferences and (assuming you've installed the CSE KB on any XP boxes) it works.
Anyone tried this or know different?
I think he means he wants it one his vista box to control a 2k3 AD.....
these tools also fully supported managing Windows Server 2003 servers:
* Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) Tools
* Active Directory Lightweight Directory Services (AD LDS) Tools
* Active Directory Certification Authority Tools
* DHCP Server Tools
* DNS Server Tools
* Terminal Services Tools
* Universal Description, Discovery, and Integration (UDDI) Services Tools
* Group Policy Management Tools
* Network Load Balancing Tools
Yes I agree it does appear that way. RSAT would have to be installed on Vista SP1 or controlled from Windows Server 2008 (eventually), but I'm not 100% sure whether this also allows control of 2000/XP/2003.I think he means he wants it one his vista box to control a 2k3 AD.....
It might be the case you continue to use the 2003 SP2 Admin Tools Pack for 2000/XP/2003 and RSAT for Vista or later.
I have installed RSAT on Vista x64 SP1 but I cant see ADUC in any MMCs? Is this part of RSAT or do I have to install the admin pak as well?
I would like to manage Server 2003 machine from my Vista box.
Yes - I'm asking whether adding one Vista box to an existing 2K3 & XP domain will enable the use of preferences.
Key point here is that there's a client side extension for XP to process the preferences, so it's just a case of whether that Vista box can configure them in GPOs in your 2K3 AD.
so long you manage them with the Vista SP1 RSAT:
Group Policy Preferences Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
You can also use RSAT to manage 2003 servers with the tools that apply:Q.Do I need to upgrade my domain to Windows Server 2008 to have this functionality?
A.No. Group Policy preference items work in a Windows Server 2003 environment by being managed via either Windows Server 2008 or the GPMC update for Windows Vista with Service Pack 1.
Group Policy Team Blog : Announcing Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows Vista SP1
The tools in the following list are fully supported managing Windows Server 2003 servers:
• Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) Tools
• Active Directory Lightweight Directory Services (AD LDS) Tools
• Active Directory Certificate Services (AD CS) Tools
• DHCP Server Tools
• DNS Server Tools
• Group Policy Management Tools
• Network Load Balancing Tools
• Terminal Services Tools
• Universal Description, Discovery, and Integration (UDDI) Services Tools
Last edited by SYNACK; 5th August 2008 at 03:31 PM.
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)