+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Sysprep? new machines in Technical; Hey there, just got 48 new laptops and more machines and laptops on there way, they all come p reinstalled ...
    Thank Post

Sysprep? new machines

Hey there, just got 48 new laptops and more machines and laptops on there way, they all come p reinstalled with software and syspreped. to make it so you chose languages etc etc, is there any way to make it some i don't have to manual go through all the settings?

like create a file with config settings and copy to all machines?

thanks
    nick

Thank Post
    Only thing i could possibly think of is having to boot each machine individually and copying a sysprep.inf that you've created with your settings in to the sysprep folder on each machine before it starts to run the windows setup.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    do you have a PXE boot ability (eg WDS)? If so, then you could script starting the machine from the network and copying in a new sysprep.inf

Alternatively, you could burn a BartPE/Ultimate Boot CD, boot from that and then copy in the sysprep.inf

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 1,263 Posts
    What you're talking about is an answer file. It sounds as though some of the Mini Setup process is automated and the rest isn't. In these circumstances, because you'd be forced to visit each machine manually to copy the updated answer file, I don't think you'll gain any time.

The time it would take to boot Bart PE, and copy the updated answer file - it just isn't worth it in my view.

Thank Post
    Didn't you use to be able to use a floppy disk with the answer file for this? USB floppy or USB drive emulating a floppy could maybe be used.

Thank Post
    Didn't you use to be able to use a floppy disk with the answer file for this? USB floppy or USB drive emulating a floppy could maybe be used.
    You could in theory, but you'd most likely need floppy emulation as most new machines don't have floppy drives. The only other problem I see, is they'd be two answer files. One locally within C:\Sysprep and the other on the floppy. I don't know what the implications are of this?

Thank Post
    The time to boot and copy a new answer file is probably more than just answering the questions I'm afraid.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    In these circumstances, because you'd be forced to visit each machine manually to copy the updated answer file, I don't think you'll gain any time.

The time it would take to boot Bart PE, and copy the updated answer file - it just isn't worth it in my view.
    It may not save time but it would certainly make the process more accurate -having to go through manual mini-setup on 48 machines would not be easy and is prone to mistakes.

If he can set up a script from either a boot CD or PXE Boot to update sysprep.inf then it's probably just a case of switch on, press F12 and then start the next one. At some later point he goes back, reboots all of them and off they go.

Thank Post
    It may not save time but it would certainly make the process more accurate -having to go through manual mini-setup on 48 machines would not be easy and is prone to mistakes.
    I agree, it would frustrate me if I had to specify all Mini Setup options manually 48 times. To be honest though, I would of created a new image (with all required applications installed), then ran Sysprep again to reseal it.
    The reason I say this, is because OEMs seem to load all kinds of rubbish these days or out-of-date components. Manually uninstalling Norton AV Trial 48 times would be a nightmare!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I agree, it would frustrate me if I had to specify all Mini Setup options manually 48 times. To be honest though, I would of created a new image (with all required applications installed), then ran Sysprep again to reseal it.
    The reason I say this, is because OEMs seem to load all kinds of rubbish these days or out-of-date components. Manually uninstalling Norton AV Trial 48 times would be a nightmare!
    Oh yeah completely agree the first we thing do with any new hardware is deploy either an unattended install or image to them gets rid of all the crap and sets them up with a standard build.

I thought the OP was getting these PCs pre supplied with an image (schools image?) ready to go, hence the sysprep.

Thank Post
    I thought the OP was getting these PCs pre supplied with an image (schools image?) ready to go, hence the sysprep.
    If that's true, whoever's Sysprepped them has done a poor job. It sounds like language settings have been left as default (probably US English) and tri_94 is having to change them all to UK.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread