+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, sysprep help in Technical; have created a sysprep image, when i deploy it it shows the blue screen then the monitor goes out of ...

Thank Post

sysprep help

have created a sysprep image, when i deploy it it shows the blue screen then the monitor goes out of range, it carries on deploying. Once installed it gets to the black xp screen and deos the same.

the original machine was set to 800x600 and it has the same parameters in the sysprep.inf document.

any ideas?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Could it be you're using the image on multiple hardware? Different graphics chips/drivers? I leave the screen resolution and colour all to "Windows default" so it should sort itself out.

Can you get into Safe Mode or VGA mode pressing F8 at startup? Does Device Manager show all hardware as working correctly with drivers installed? You could also try deleting the graphics card(s) from Device Manager so Windows is forced to re-detect once you reboot the computer.

3. Thanks to Michael from:

strawberry (29th July 2008)

Thank Post
    I am deploying to different hardware but i'd have thought 800x600 would work on any hardware even without the specific drivers installed.

cant get into windows to see!. for some reason rdp isn't working either.

Thank Post
    cant get into windows to see!. for some reason rdp isn't working either.
    I suspect it is the problem, as I presume re-imaging to identical hardware is working ok? It isn't just graphics, but chipset drivers and also the HAL all play a part in imaging, which is why I create a seperate image for each model of hardware. Works first time, everytime.

You should still be able to get into Safe Mode (theoretically). Have you tried?

Thank Post
    If the HAL is incorrect, I often just get a blank black screen. If it bluescreens during the initial progress bar this is generally critical mass storage drivers not loaded.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I suspect it is the problem, as I presume re-imaging to identical hardware is working ok? It isn't just graphics, but chipset drivers and also the HAL all play a part in imaging, which is why I create a seperate image for each model of hardware. Works first time, everytime.

You should still be able to get into Safe Mode (theoretically). Have you tried?
    i know the image works ok as it was added to AD. Having worked on this a bit more i still cant get it to displaying during the loading (not too much of a prob the end user only has to name the machine). I think the remote desktop problem was the first run crashing combined with a really stuipdly slow log off. i've added the drivers to the image which means at least once its deployed it works.

Thank Post
    In the circumstances, you're probably better off taking a copy of the image, getting it to work perfectly on the other hardware, then deploy the image. Keeping seperate images will work out better longterm

Thank Post
    I'm 99% sure that the monitor attached cant support whatever screen mode it is using. If its a old old old monitor [like i used to have at the previous place] you may need to tell it in the sysprep to use 16bit colour instead of 24/32bit... even 256 colours!

Best bet is get a monitor you know works with the image and hook it up.

Again, graphics drivers are another thing it could be, so follow Michael's suggestions of trying VGA mode or heading into Safe Mode.

Regards

10. Thanks to tarquel from:

strawberry (30th July 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tarquel View Post
    I'm 99% sure that the monitor attached cant support whatever screen mode it is using. If its a old old old monitor [like i used to have at the previous place] you may need to tell it in the sysprep to use 16bit colour instead of 24/32bit... even 256 colours!

Best bet is get a monitor you know works with the image and hook it up.

Again, graphics drivers are another thing it could be, so follow Michael's suggestions of trying VGA mode or heading into Safe Mode.

Regards
    original monitor was old 15" jobby so tried it with new hp 19" jobby and it was the same, was the first thought i had too. the problem seems to be with the resolution during the sysprep setup, which suprises me as i would have thought it would have been small enough to fit on most monitors(unless it's too small? )

Thank Post
    Seems very odd indeed aye...

Still not sure if u've answered whether you can get into Safe Mode or getting it to work using VGA Mode? [sorry if i missed it]

Not used to the heat here at the moment [heavy weather - cant stand it lol] so brain not firing on all cylinders lol

Nath

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tarquel View Post
    Seems very odd indeed aye...

Still not sure if u've answered whether you can get into Safe Mode or getting it to work using VGA Mode? [sorry if i missed it]

Not used to the heat here at the moment [heavy weather - cant stand it lol] so brain not firing on all cylinders lol

Nath
    its the sysprep installing bit i cant see, so i'm not sure i could get into safe mode to even see that!. I think safe mode was being talked about when i couldn't see windows at all.

my brains not working either today, just been running round panicing about an install next week taht i thought i'd booked for tomorrow when i'm in an exam!.

Thank Post
    It will be to do with drivers and most likely the HAL. What you could try is imaging some hardware the image was designed for, get past the Sysprep stage, then take the hard drive out and put it a computer with different hardware.

If you get the same symptoms (like black screen, which I suspect you will), it shows the problem isn't with Sysprep itself, but with drivers and the HAL. I have read of methods in the past for deleting/resetting the HAL, but it really is so much easier to create separate images!

Thank Post
    ...and even easier to create a RIS image...

* opens the proverbial can of worms *

Thank Post
    Are you running the mini setup and upnp scan as part of sysprep or just installing the drivers and imaging to a new machine type?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread