+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, DNS Entry Query in Technical; I'm in the process of adding a new server as a domain controller, to supplement the existing DC and with ...
    Thank Post

DNS Entry Query

I'm in the process of adding a new server as a domain controller, to supplement the existing DC and with a view to demoting and deactivating an ancient desktop PC which is pretending to be a server!

I've done the DC PROMO on the new server and all looks ok - files created in the SYSVOL folder are replicating amongst all machines.

Is this all I need to do?

On the main DC I've opened DNSMGMT and the new server is there. But there's one bit I'm not sure about.

In SERVERNAME - Forward Lookup Zones - _msdcs.DOMAINNAME - dc - _sites - Default-First-Site - _tcp

there are entries for all three servers as Service Location (SRV), but there are also Host (A) entries for the two existing servers, but not the new one.

Should I add it manually, wait for it to be added automatically or have these entries been added manually by someone in the past?

DNS isn't my strong point and I've inherited a network that really needs rebuilding from scratch but I don't have the time or staff or support. I'd love to have the time to read up on this but I'm running around the school doing several jobs at once so don't get the time to read up without being disturbed.

Thanks in advance.

Thank Post
    This is normal you should only have SRV records for _ldap and _kerberos for your DCs here Host A records appear under your Domain level.

If you intend to remove the old DC from your network do not forget to transfer the master roles it holds and global catalogue? To your new server.

3. Thanks to petectid from:

Gibbo (23rd July 2008)

Thank Post
    I'll probably leave it running for now until I know all is well and then demote it in a couple of months.

Sadly your second sentence has gone way over my head, so I'll try and research this before the time comes.

Thank Post
    There are five master roles when you create your first forest, assigned to the DC. Two of these are forest wide meaning that for a forest only one DC holds those roles.

Schema master
    Domain naming master

The other three roles are held within each Domain within the forest these are

Relative ID master (RID)
    Primary domain controller (PDC)
    Infrastructure master

In schools we will often find all roles held by a single DC but if you have two or three DCs its a good idea to share these roles between them

The Global catalogue is less complicated in that it holds a full set of attributes for the domain in which it resides and a subset of attributes for all objects in the Active Directory Forest.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread