+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Windows Thread, Roaming Profiles in Technical; Originally Posted by ChrisH Did you copy the admin profile over the default? No I didn't....
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Roaming Profiles

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH
    Did you copy the admin profile over the default?
    No I didn't.

Thank Post

To be honest, I usually set it up the admin profile and restart the machine. I then copy the admin profile over the default user profile (no deleting) from a remote machine because it saves logging on again - I'm a little lazy like that.

Once you get that to work (it's not hard) you can supposedly copy a default user profile into your NETLOGON share and it takes it from there instead of the local machine - I've never got this to work though.

Thank Post

Works fine for me Ric.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

So if you don't set a roaming profile [ you leave the profile location in your user detalis blank ] - I assume that you're saying no profile information is copied from anywhere at logon. The information stored in the local default profile on that machine used instead.

Is this correct?

[Yes Nathan mentioned that method of copying over the netlogon share, finding the sid of the default user somehow, that I don't recall now]

Thank Post

No profile info in the users' details means that local profiles will be used.

A local profile is created at logon to save any temporary data but is based upon the info in the default profile.

Thank Post

Domain wide Default User profile

To create a 'default user' profile for the domain, simply copy any profile to '\\(dc-server)\netlogon\Default User' (if you have multple DCs, it should replicate automatically), making sure you change the 'permitted to use' setting to 'everyone'. This is easily done via the 'My Computer Properties, Advanced, User Profiles Settings, Copy To' route.

This is to be avoided, though, if you have a mixture of 2K/XP clients, as XP profiles don't necessarily work well on 2K clients and vice versa.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

So you're saying, ajb/everyone, that it's better to have no central default profile, but better to have as Ric_ suggests - a set default profile on the local machine?

Thank Post

In my setups, I give Staff roaming profiles and students mandatory profiles, so, sooner or later, all profiles are stored on a server. I also delete cached copies of local profiles (except on staff laptops!).

In my system then, the only time the domain wide Default User profile gets used is when a Staff member logs on for the very first time (or after I delete their roaming profile should it become corrupt). For me, therefore, the performance is not so much of an issue.

I suppose if you are regularly recreating profiles at each logon, a local Default User profile would be better.

Thank Post

Nice to see this topic is still discussed. I first implemented roaming profiles in schools 10 years ago (original release of Win 95 on NT4 Server).
    Have since roamed with 98, Win2000 and XP (always avoided ME like the plague!)

First comment: Roaming profiles are incredibly useful in schools - let's face it, the users roam, so their personal settings should too.

Second comment: I strongly agree with the comments about standardising heavily for pupils and controlling most of what they see - I just wouldn't go as far as a madatory profile.

Third comment: I have never understood Microsoft's view as to what should roam. I think they test these things with 2 machines and a gigabet network... Roaming profiles have only ever worked if you take control of the profile first.

So how do you make it all work? Divide the profile up into three types of information:

1. The bits that must rove properly and be downloaded to the local machine. In many cases you can get this down to just user.dat, although there may be the other odd file you want to include such as normal.dot.

2. The bits you want to keep personal, but don't need to be pulled down. These can be redirected to folders on the server personal to each user. This would include my documents, recent, favorites (in answer to an earlier question) and many others.

3. The bits you want to remove from the personal profile and make mandatory for groups (Start menu, programs, desktop etc). These can be pointed to a common server folder with permissions set to prevent changes being made.

For various reasons, I tend to modify section 3 and synchronise key folders to all local machines and point profiles at the local copy - speeds things up and is more reliable, and works on laptops!

To get all the bits to work you need to be familiar with using the various policy tools and creating new policy templates. Personally, I usually cheat and write the settings derectly into the registry - it is more relaible and allows you control over elements that Microsoft 'forgot' to include int he tools.

Note that all this can be achieved with even without AD in the background if you are clever.

If anyone has any specific questions on help getting things working, I'd be happy to advise.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Are you wearing a hard hat Westbrooke?

Very interesting stuff! I'd like to know how [in point 1] you limit the bits to rove. I've tried the don't include these bit's setting - is that what you use? By your recconing then I could exclude all folders [is that how it works - all subfolders ignored if the root folder is?].

Thanks

Thank Post

I know that was a risky post!
    I'm going to have to look up the details - the only constnat thing about redirecting profile folders is that MS have changed the way it is done in every version?
    (although the registry hacks tend not to change - they just add more folders...)
    Win 2000/XP start with the premise that you can include and exclude folders from the roaming system, so it is a bit simple. I'll get back to you with how!

(NB - you can use the redirection/roaming tricks in reverse to - I have often redirected personal settings stuff such as ini files from the local drive to Application data - programs never designed to roam then start roaming happily!)

Thank Post

OK, starting with the techies, the relevant registry keys for the Explorer Shell folders are:
    Key Name: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders
    Name: AppData
    Name: Cookies
    Name: Desktop
    Name: Favorites
    Name: NetHood
    Name: Personal
    Name: PrintHood
    Name: Recent
    Name: SendTo
    Name: Start Menu
    Name: Templates
    Name: Programs
    Name: Startup
    Name: Local Settings
    Name: Local AppData
    Name: Cache
    Name: History
    Name: My Pictures
    Name: Fonts
    Name: My Music
    Name: Administrative Tools
    Name: CD Burning
    Name: My Video

Note the ability to control things like the Programs sub menu separately from the Start menu, and that the Cache might roam, as well as the power you have over all those annoying My Documents/Pictures/Music/Video folders.

Most of what you want can be achieved by setting these keys directly, but not very subtle!

See http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;315415 for the correct way to take folders out of the roaming profile (ie leave them fixed per machine - so you will need to separately redirect them if you want them on a server)

Thank Post

Mandatory Profiles are much quicker and more efficient to use, especially if used with folder redirection in Active Directory. Roaming profiles stored on a server are very susceptible to corruption and take up loads of space.

We have a lot less problems with logons and profiles since we changed to running a mandatory profile, especially as we have 2,500 students regularly logging on.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

You seen the Wiki on this JH? Please add to it if you can/ feel so inclined!

Wiki: Profiles

Thank Post

Good posts Westbrooke. Very helpful- and I agree with you regarding roaming profiles in schools.

Paul

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast