+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Windows Thread, Roaming Profiles in Technical; 'Tis the best way. Nice and minimal and gets rid of creating more problems on the desktop machines....

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Roaming Profiles

'Tis the best way. Nice and minimal and gets rid of creating more problems on the desktop machines.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

How do you fix wallpaper then?

...and how do you set the My Documents folder not to roam or be cached??

[I redirect start menu's only]

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

In your AD group policy...

My Documents to User Area:

User Configuaration - Windows Settings - Folder Redirection - My Documents. Right-click My Documents and select Basic. In target Folder Location select Redirect to the following location then enter in the box Root Path the location to the users area e.g. \\servername\users\%username% . On the Settings tab untick Move the contents of My Documents to the new location.
    (important. Ensure the users areas have the same name as their username or you will have to rename them by hand in the users profile and this method will not work. The %username5 variable will automatically pick up the users logon name and map it to the variable).

For Wallpaper:

User Configuaration - Administartive Templates - Desktop - Active Desktop
    - Active Desktop Wallpaper. There are alot of fiddly little options here, but I would suggest you set Bitmapped Wallpaper only then cosult this article http://myitforum.techtarget.com/arti...ew.asp?id=2008 for some more advice.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Offline caching is set in the shares properties. You can also override it globally or per share in the GPOs though (good for teachers laptops).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thanks very much guys - much appreciated!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box
    Thats basically how it should be. Fixed wallpaper (different colours per year group and for staff so you can see who is logged on as someone they shouldn't be).
    The My Documents folder is mapped to their user area and set up so as not to roam or be locally cached.
    The start menu is mapped with the default user profile aready edited to remove everything you don't want them to see.
    Anthing else is making hard work for yourself and increasing the network load.
    Thats pretty much how I have it As I've said before (I think) I have a hidden sub-folder called 'profile' in each users directory which holds all the profile data - I guess others have them seperate in a different location but I find its handy when it comes to permissions i.e. they are already set for the profile, tho I try tweaking it a bit etc...

[small question here is can that folder be set to deny access if a user tries to browse it, but not in a way that will distrupt the system from accessing it?]

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    Offline caching is set in the shares properties. You can also override it globally or per share in the GPOs though (good for teachers laptops).
    Thats what I need to do for our few laptops here - allow them to roam with the docs without loosing anything. I think all I've done is change the option of "deleting locally cached roaming profiles" off for the laptop's OU.

Can you elaborate on the setting for us? Its slipped my mind a bit where it is? Globally that is - per share would be on fileserver wouldn't it. Bit tot much hassle methinks lol

[....oo a teacher just gave me a pressie lol - tobacco - for working til 6-ish last night lol ...did tell her I was late in the morn..... ]

Cheers
    Nath

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

hats pretty much how I have it Smile As I've said before (I think) I have a hidden sub-folder called 'profile' in each users directory which holds all the profile data - I guess others have them seperate in a different location but I find its handy when it comes to permissions i.e. they are already set for the profile, tho I try tweaking it a bit Smile etc...
    But why? They DON'T NEED a profile! There is absoloutly nothng that should be stored for them!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

hehe!

Thank Post

For physical roaming with laptops, any re-directed folders are automagically synchrosnised (assuming it's an XP client).

You simply put your laptops in a different OU that has a GPO telling it to cache local profiles.

Easy as pie! - not a roaming profile in site!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,111 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box
    hats pretty much how I have it Smile As I've said before (I think) I have a hidden sub-folder called 'profile' in each users directory which holds all the profile data - I guess others have them seperate in a different location but I find its handy when it comes to permissions i.e. they are already set for the profile, tho I try tweaking it a bit Smile etc...
    But why? They DON'T NEED a profile! There is absoloutly nothng that should be stored for them!
    We have a standard mandatory profile for the students, and roaming for staff ... folder redirection is b0rken atm ... but will be sorted over the summer to go to their home area.

The problem we have with staff having offline folders is that they want to have everything in there ... and if they have music, video etc then it can be several GB that is trying to be synchronised over wireless ... not a good idea.

So we go for a "work" folder, just inside the hard drive, and they are responsible for becking up key work onto their home area.

Anyone who doesn't and loses work? They only have the problem once ... they learn from the mistake!

Thank Post

Hey guys,

From what i've read before, some ppl have a slightly misguided idea at what roaming profiles really are (or maybe I do, I just dont know ;-p )

From what I have gathere'd there r 2 main types of profile...Roaming and Mandantory.

A mandantory profile is where u setup a profile just the way u want it, copy it to a folder on ya server and chance the user.dat to user.man. Then point all users profiles to this folder for the profile. Changing to .man locks the profile so that users cannot make changes to it.

A roaming profile can be many things (but any of these things still makes it roaming)... You can have a true roaming profile where the whole profile roams, e.g. my docs, desktop, etc....or you can have a hybrid roaming profile like some of u were on about a bit further up where the my docs, desktop and start menu r redirected <---this is STILL a roaming profile of sorts as the app data folder and users settings i.e. the user.dat file r still transerfed from and to the server on each logon/logoff. This is also the way I have mine setup. This basically allows any user to move toolbars, make templates in word, etc, and generally change settings and preferences in software on the system (settings that r NOT locked by GP's that is :-p ) and these settings will roam with them.

I have a good tried and tested reason for doing this. I dont just think about me right now...I think about the future too and the future techies that r gonna have to deal with these kids.
    I was working a high school a few years back (before I knew what a profile was)...and me n my boss setup a w2k network. We did not implemented profiles at this point. This worked ok (apart from being a little slow as u would expect) until one of the kids descovered that if he changed something, then next user to logon would also get that change. So one by one the kids would move menu bars off the side of the screen so we couldnt get them back. This got anoying, so we decided to play them at there own game. They were making others miserable by moving this stuff around so they could no tdo there work etc...so we did the same back to them. We implemented profiles in the manor stated above. This allows them to make a change and it to roam with them. Once the troublesome kids logged on and moved all the toolbars off the screen and then logged off, we had them ! :-) For the next 2 months these kids were forever being told off by teachers and not being able to complete their work properly because the options were not available to them (as they were off screen). They eventually came groveling to us to help them. At which point we made them write us a apology for giving us a hard time before and making our lives difficult. We then simply deleted their profiles and away they went again.
    Although having a mandantory profile would have stopped this altogether, is would not have taught them the valuable lesson they learnt from this.
    Let me just say that they didn't bother trying to mess with the system again after that as we introduced a fee for having there profiles reset.
    I am hoping that by doing this I have samved at least some of the future IT techies from at least a little bit of trouble.

Thank Post

This is exactly what I was getting at with having roaming profiles

...so that if a user messes up his/her settings, its only their profile that they will effect.

(Laptop's included )

Cheers
    Nath

Thank Post

If you don't redirect the app data or making it roaming, it will only effect that user when they log onto that machine (since it will take the settings from the local profile).

If you delete the locally stored profiles at logoff, the problem shouldn't happen.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I have that set Ric_ [to delete locally stored profiles] - but it doesn't happen - the profiles are all there. How exactly do you do it??

Cheers

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by mark
    I have that set Ric_ [to delete locally stored profiles] - but it doesn't happen - the profiles are all there. How exactly do you do it??

Cheers
    They don't always delete straight away - sometimes files get locked!

The best way is to have a startup script containing delprof so that you blitz the profiles when the workstation starts up. Use this in conjunction with the GPO and you should find that most of the local profiles are irradicated.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast