+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, DNS Query in Technical; Hi all! I've got 4 domain controllers (lets call them Srv1 Srv2 Srv3 and Mail) - all with DNS istalled ...

Thank Post

DNS Query

Hi all!

I've got 4 domain controllers (lets call them Srv1 Srv2 Srv3 and Mail) - all with DNS istalled (Active Directory Integrated). DNS settings within TCP/IP settings on Srv1 & Srv2 point to each other; DNS settings within TCP/IP settings on Srv3 & Mail point to Srv1 and Srv2. I thought that if a DC was running DNS, the TCP/IP settings for each within network settings should have ALL DC's IP addresses listed? (Just read that back and not sure if it makes sense??!!).

Also, my forward lookup zones contain multiple entries for single IP addresses. i.e. one IP address is assigned to 4 different Pcs - I'm assuming DNS Scavenging is not working properley? So I've checked Ageing and Scavenging at server level - Srv1 and Srv2 are checked but Srv3 and Mail are not. Next I checked the properties of my domain name (within the forward lookup zone) and have found that scavenging is checked on all 4 - Srv1 Srv2 Srv3 and Mail.

Confused!! I'm not sure if my DNS is screwy or I'm out of touch!! Any ideas?

metalmonkey
    I've got 4 domain controllers (lets call them Srv1 Srv2 Srv3 and Mail) - all with DNS istalled (Active Directory Integrated). DNS settings within TCP/IP settings on Srv1 & Srv2 point to each other; DNS settings within TCP/IP settings on Srv3 & Mail point to Srv1 and Srv2. I thought that if a DC was running DNS, the TCP/IP settings for each within network settings should have ALL DC's IP addresses listed? (Just read that back and not sure if it makes sense??!!).
    Every DNS server should have it's Network Card's DNS server pointing to itself. Not another server, or multiple IP's.

The DNS forwarder's will handle anything not inside your zone.

Thank Post
    There is a variety of options. You risk creating DNS islands if you only have the DC talking to itself for DNS resolution.

We have each DC that hosts AD as it's own primary DNS, and the other DNS server as alternatives.

See here: Best practices for DNS client settings in Windows 2000 Server and in Windows Server 2003

Thank Post
    if you also have a DC pointing at another server for secondary it helps speed up the boot time as it can locate the domain services before it's own dns has started.

Thank Post
    If you have multiple domain controllers the DNS network connection configuration on each DC should list the other DC IPs first with the local IP being the last on the list.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread