+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
Windows Thread, BBC iPlayer in Technical; I'm creating a new image for some PCs for installation over the hols. I was thinking of including BBC iPlayer ...
  1. #1

    tech_guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Posts
    8,135
    Thank Post
    1,908
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    395

    BBC iPlayer

    I'm creating a new image for some PCs for installation over the hols.

    I was thinking of including BBC iPlayer in the image.

    What do you think about doing this? Is it a good idea or not?

    Do you think the LEA would get shirty with us potentially using up more bandwith?

  2. #2

    SpuffMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,235
    Thank Post
    55
    Thanked 278 Times in 186 Posts
    Rep Power
    134
    Do you need it? Now its Flash based - we find the online version does fine for most things.

  3. #3

    tech_guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Posts
    8,135
    Thank Post
    1,908
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    395
    Quote Originally Posted by SpuffMonkey View Post
    Do you need it? Now its Flash based - we find the online version does fine for most things.
    We were thinking of downloading content and then using the iPlayer to view it so when there was no Internet connection it didn't matter?

  4. #4

    elsiegee40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    10,786
    Thank Post
    1,789
    Thanked 2,180 Times in 1,615 Posts
    Rep Power
    771
    I've stayed away from simply because I have so many problems making sure that I have exactly the right combination of versions of flash/shockwave/java/realplayer/flying pigs to ensure we can use the BBC website. I'm not keen to add yet another variable!

    I've actually had this stable for a whole term... I'll only go there when BBC starts crashing IE again!

  5. #5

    powdarrmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Alcester, Warwickshire
    Posts
    4,859
    Thank Post
    412
    Thanked 777 Times in 650 Posts
    Rep Power
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    We were thinking of downloading content and then using the iPlayer to view it so when there was no Internet connection it didn't matter?
    You'll probably find that you can't transfer the downloaded files between machines (I haven't looked into it closely) because the BBC protect them with DRM. They'll expire after a week anyway, so you don't gain anything by not using the flash version.

    Nice to see they have made it flash 7 compatible now, yay for my box at home

  6. #6
    zag
    zag is offline
    zag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,765
    Thank Post
    898
    Thanked 416 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    87
    No point, just use the flash based online version. All it needs is the latest version of flash.

  7. #7

    tech_guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Posts
    8,135
    Thank Post
    1,908
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    395
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    You'll probably find that you can't transfer the downloaded files between machines (I haven't looked into it closely) because the BBC protect them with DRM. They'll expire after a week anyway, so you don't gain anything by not using the flash version.

    Nice to see they have made it flash 7 compatible now, yay for my box at home
    Erm, we've had no probs putting the downloaded files in the Shared Area on our Admin network for staff to use. As you say they expire after being watched but the staff know this.

  8. #8

    powdarrmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Alcester, Warwickshire
    Posts
    4,859
    Thank Post
    412
    Thanked 777 Times in 650 Posts
    Rep Power
    182
    Hmm, fair enough. I was under the impression they were locked to the machine that fetched them.

  9. #9

    tech_guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Posts
    8,135
    Thank Post
    1,908
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    395
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    Hmm, fair enough. I was under the impression they were locked to the machine that fetched them.
    That's what I though but we download the files and are able to play them on other PCs and in Windows Media Player too.

  10. #10
    flyinghaggis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,003
    Thank Post
    100
    Thanked 74 Times in 58 Posts
    Rep Power
    115
    Why would staff have any reason to install/use I-player in school for teaching? We've actually blocked the site on the grounds that we don't want staff/pupils soaking up bandwidth catching up on last nights episode of eastenders/etc

    Is there any legitimate reason why they'd want to use it?

  11. #11

    tech_guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Posts
    8,135
    Thank Post
    1,908
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    395
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinghaggis View Post
    Why would staff have any reason to install/use I-player in school for teaching? We've actually blocked the site on the grounds that we don't want staff/pupils soaking up bandwidth catching up on last nights episode of eastenders/etc

    Is there any legitimate reason why they'd want to use it?
    We have a strict policy that it's for educational use only - we use it to watch documentaries.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,154
    Thank Post
    114
    Thanked 527 Times in 450 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinghaggis View Post
    Why would staff have any reason to install/use I-player in school for teaching? We've actually blocked the site on the grounds that we don't want staff/pupils soaking up bandwidth catching up on last nights episode of eastenders/etc

    Is there any legitimate reason why they'd want to use it?
    I'd guess for the same reason that for the past 30 years or so schools have been videotaping schools programmes to watch at a convenient time! This is just the 21st century version of a video player :-)

  13. #13
    flyinghaggis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,003
    Thank Post
    100
    Thanked 74 Times in 58 Posts
    Rep Power
    115
    The problem is that iPlayer contains so much unsuitable/time wasting content that IMO it's too much of a gamble to open up the whole site just because it might contain a couple of educational documentaries.
    Over 99% of the stuff on it won't be of any educational value so I don't see why it should be accessible unless there is somekind of filter or option to download only educational content? Especially seeing as a couple of labs worth of pupils streaming rubbish could potentially soak up all our bandwidth and stop people doing legitimate work!

    Are we being too harsh

  14. #14

    ZeroHour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    5,655
    Thank Post
    897
    Thanked 1,316 Times in 799 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    444
    I wouldnt use the downloader. It shares what you download automatically so it will continue to soak bandwidth. It runs the sharing everytime you try to download at least and its uploading when its in the tray.
    The full app could end up destroying your net if lots started to do it.
    Flash is at least one way.

  15. #15
    GaryCantley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Cantley, Norfolk
    Posts
    33
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    I wouldnt use the downloader. It shares what you download automatically so it will continue to soak bandwidth. It runs the sharing everytime you try to download at least and its uploading when its in the tray.
    The full app could end up destroying your net if lots started to do it.
    Flash is at least one way.
    I have seen it on standalone PC's where it had "taken over" the system.

    A swift delete and reboot and the computer is usable again.

    I thought I had read somewhere that it was intended that others could upload from your PC, in the same way that LimeWire works. I am happy to be proved wrong though

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. BBC Flash Streaming (News, iPlayer etc)
    By linuxgirlie in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 17th June 2010, 03:30 PM
  2. BBC iPlayer parental guidance
    By steve_b in forum Windows Vista
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 7th May 2008, 11:03 AM
  3. BBC iPlayer
    By kerrymoralee9280 in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 19th March 2008, 12:55 PM
  4. BBC Iplayer firewall settings
    By raufdean in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 26th February 2008, 05:07 PM
  5. BBC iPlayer now for everybody!
    By Ric_ in forum General Chat
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 17th December 2007, 08:17 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •