+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Copying Local GPO in Technical; My first technical post here so go easy on me A bit of background info first just to set the ...

Thank Post

Copying Local GPO

My first technical post here so go easy on me

A bit of background info first just to set the scene.

I'm working on a peer to peer network with a file server and need to lock things down a bit more than they are at the moment. There are around 30ish machines each with 5 local users. Each user has the same desktop with folders for each subject group (you can see the problem already ). We have countless problems with folders being moved, background images being changed and just the machines generally getting messed up.

I've now got the local GPO set to basically how I want it but need to now copy it from the one machine to the rest on the network. I have the GroupPolicy folder in C:\Windows\System32 and have copied that to a safe place, however the problem I have now is the Administrator user on the machine also has been locked down by these settings Is it possible to exclude certain users from the GPO settings?

TIA

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,666 Times in 2,263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In Windows XP there is no way to exempt certain users from the local computer GPO. You can assign them like that in Vista through.

You might want to check out Windows SteadyState which is a free bit of Microsoft software that may provide a better solution to lock down the non-domain machines. It should be able to keep them setup the way that you want them.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread