+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, redirected desktop problems in Technical; Hi All, Now I know that this has been discussed ad infinitem on the site but I can't find a ...
    Thank Post

Post redirected desktop problems

Hi All,

Now I know that this has been discussed ad infinitem on the site but I can't find a clue as to what is happening in any of the existing posts.
    I am tinkering with mandatory profiles and group policy for rolling out over the summer (we use WinSuite at the mo). I have set up user for testing GPO and mandatory profile. After some swearing at M'Soft for making a simple task difficult I have managed to get most of it working.
    This pm I did a final test and changed something on the supposedly fixed desk top and low and behold it let me do it. Fine I thought this won't be there the next time I logon but it is.
    Both versions of the Desktop are read only, the profile is mandatory and I cannot find the new item anywhere on the PC or in the profiles and desktop folders.
    Help

Peter

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    So what you're saying is you're making changes with a mandatory profile, which should be ignored when logging off, but the changes you made are still there?

How are you controlling the Start Menu and Desktop? In Active Directory this is controlled using Folder Redirection. I don't know what Winsuite uses.

Thank Post
    What did you change?

Edit: I take it winsuite is not installed on this test machine?

Thank Post
    sorry! Yes - this is a newly built machine with the user being controlled by a GPO with folder redirection.
    When I search for the folder created I can't even find it, but there it is, like a bad penny, whenever the user logs.

Peter

Thank Post
    Try running gpresult to see what policies are being applied.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...gpresults.mspx

Thank Post
    Are you redirecting the desktop?

You can check the location of redirected folders in regedit (HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ex plorer\UserShellFolders\Desktop)

Have you set the policy that forces the deletion of local copies of roaming profiles? Is it working? Does the local profile that gets created when your test user logs on actually disappear when they log off? If not, try installing UPHCLEAN which can help.

Thank Post

Take a look at flex framework and true control templates

If you are thinking of redirecting folders take a look at the page below featuring free downloads from Login Consultants - Downloads | Tools

There are two parts to this. True control templates expand the elements of a users profile which can be redirected. Flex framework is essentially a flexible vbs script arrangement to allow a combination of mandatory profiles with preserved user settings. For us the most important feature is that it marks the local profile as roaming which enables us to carry on using Class server and other programs which need this.

I've used this for the past 9 months, gradually moving all our staff over to a shared mandatory profile. Among other advantages is the fact that we can delete portions of the profile easily and safely so that if corruption occurs it can be corrected without too much trouble.

The only downside is that the user needs to wait for the script to finish before launching programs which need individuation (such as Outlook). I run a batch file which runs the script first, then pops up a "Settings Loaded" message so that the user knows everything is ready.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread