+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Laptops and lovely projectors in Technical; Hello All, First of all this problem has given me such a head ache over the last few days. I ...
    Thank Post

Laptops and lovely projectors

Hello All,

First of all this problem has given me such a head ache over the last few days.

I am buying in laptops to replace all the static teachers computers and i want to make the image perfect. But i am stuck at one part. When i put the Dell laptop onto the docking station it does not always detect the projector so it just stays as it is. Also if i close the lid and it goes to stand it will only project onto the screen. I want to have it so very little work is needed. Just walk into a class room dock your computer and there all done. Now the Intel 965 software is not at all helpful. I cannot setup hotkeys for schemes otherwise i would just make a send key script. I have tried multi res no luck qres no luck.

Does anyone have any tips?

The laptops and port replicators i am trying is the Dell D630 and D530.

Thanks to who ever can help this stressed out guy.

Ross

Thank Post
    We just tell staff to make sure they press FN + which every key for that particular laptop brand, its something they are just gonna have to deal with and remember.

Thank Post
    As much as i want it to be as easy as that i know what our staff are like. 5 hours of training and they still forget!

Ross

Thank Post
    We just tell staff to make sure they press FN + which every key for that particular laptop brand, its something they are just gonna have to deal with and remember.
    We do the same here. Fn + F? to change the screen displays is just part of having a laptop and projector, so they'd better get used to it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 748 Posts
    Why are you doing away with the static workstations?

this is best practise for IWB interaction as you have found out already you will have problems with the teaching staff.

Could you not just give the teachers the laptops and leave the workstations where they are or are they too old?

Thank Post
    I have found with laptops that it is just too complicated (dunno why) for staff. The simplset way for staff to use IWB is to have a static computer. Then all they do is log in and work!

Thank Post
    Hi

I tried scrapping fixed workstations and going with laptops at one school and spent years playing the price for it.

I think a lot of the dells have the option to do a right click on the desktop and set the display that way. It appears to work better than the fn +f? because some of them have too many options for the teachers to cope with. I also dont think there is a fix for the problem because if the projector is not plugged in a boot it behaves in a different way than it does if it is plugged in.

I think teaching them now or do labels that you can skick to the top of the laptops is best.

Just a thought

Richard

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ricki View Post
    Hi

I tried scrapping fixed workstations and going with laptops at one school and spent years playing the price for it.

I think a lot of the dells have the option to do a right click on the desktop and set the display that way. It appears to work better than the fn +f? because some of them have too many options for the teachers to cope with. I also dont think there is a fix for the problem because if the projector is not plugged in a boot it behaves in a different way than it does if it is plugged in.

I think teaching them now or do labels that you can skick to the top of the laptops is best.

Just a thought

Richard

Im thinking thats the way i will have to go But would love to have it more easier.

Ross

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    Why are you doing away with the static workstations?

this is best practise for IWB interaction as you have found out already you will have problems with the teaching staff.

Could you not just give the teachers the laptops and leave the workstations where they are or are they too old?
    It worked out to be a cheaper options. We needed to replace a lot of the teachers laptop as it was and with our school being knocked down and people having to use temp class rooms just seemed the best option.

Thanks,

Ross

Thank Post
    We've just bought a computer for every classroom as part of our eletronic registration from september. We got a cracking deal on a SFF HP unit.

We've tried (and considered) the laptop route but the success of trialling these computers hopefully will mean we can start retiring our laptops. Incidentaly the price we paid for the unit with monitor was a darn sight less than a cheap laptop

Thank Post
    Knock up a few lines of instructions, maybe with pictures, print out, laminate and stick on the wall in a prominent position next to the laptop.

Sometimes the low tech solution is the best!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread