+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, Exchange Server Crashed!! in Technical; Thanks for this JJ. Not sure if I can stretch to an r900 but should be able to get a ...

Thank Post
    Thanks for this JJ. Not sure if I can stretch to an r900 but should be able to get a 2950. Wasn't sure whether I should be looking at SAS drives or SATA - I'm more used to SCSI3!! What's the best / difference?

I quite like the idea of 6 drives and splitting O/S, database and logs. Although you guys think that I might get away with just a raid1 and a raid5?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 626 Posts
    - Don't use RAID5 on your operating system drive, only the data, I've seen so many problems as you describe, most actually caused by the RAID in the first place!
    Been in the business of building servers etc for a long time now - never heard of 'Don't use RAID5 on your operating system drive'
    The only problem I have had with RAID5 was on an old IBM720 running LAN Server - it was flagging parity errors on a HD so I changed the faulty drive [ on the fly ] and as the new one was re-building another one failed. Thinking I had lost the entire RAID I booted into the RAID5 options and re-initialized the RAID and booted and hey presto.

I would rather use RAID5 with a hot spare than say a Mirror [ personal preference mind you ]

The server had the ususal alarm that goes hand in hand with a disk failure but was up and running. Our analysts downed the server and removed the failed drive, replacing it with a good one.
    This has me puzzled, could you not replace the drive on the fly ? Or don't Dell Raid Cards / Raid chipsets support this ?
    Last edited by mattx; 27th June 2008 at 10:36 PM.

Thank Post
    Morning Mattx. Couldnt swap the drive on the fly. The previous IT team had this build on a server that didn't use hot swap drives (the Raid card is a Perc3C) - I think the server is around 8-10 years old!! Why on earth they installed Exchange 2003 on a box that old is beyond me!! I have worked with Perc 5C's and these do allow hot swapping. I always spec servers with hot swap drives - knowing how frequently you can get drive failures, I dont want to keep shutting servers down!

Can you throw any light on SCSI v SATA v SAS? Not sure what drives to spec with the new server!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 626 Posts
    Can you throw any light on SCSI v SATA v SAS? Not sure what drives to spec with the new server!!
    Give me a torch then.....
    Instead of me ranting on about the differernces I'll let someone else do the talking for me.
    [ BTW I was bought up on SCSI drives but have recently built a server with SATA connections - far easier dealing with the cables !! ]

SAS

Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) is a data transfer technology designed to move data to and from computer storage devices such as hard drives and tape drives. It is a point-to-point serial protocol that replaces the parallel SCSI bus technology and uses the standard SCSI command set. Designed to be used with mission critical systems such as servers, high-end work stations or any other users that require the best performance going to improve their systems performance.

SATA

These high capacity drives are designed to be used with todays newest connection - Serial ATA. Providing more bandwidth and advanced features such as NCQ, Staggered spin up and much more, these drives are ideal for todays systems which can have upto 8 SATA ports and support various RAID styles which are ideal for power users, people who want data security and much more.

SCSI 68 Pin

These hard-drives are at the forefront of performance. Ideal for the extreme gaming system or a system where data transfer is a must, the use of SCSI is mainly limited to the Server market but thanks to its high speeds and reliability its slow progressing across to desktop PC's of the highly enthusiastic gamers.

SCSI 80 Pin

Designed to give the ultimate performance, this range of drives is designed for reliability, speed and high data transfers. These drives have been designed to give the best performance and as such are aimed at the server markets these are ideal for high speed applications such as the server market, mission critical systems or other systems which require the best data performance available.

Thank Post
    Hi All. Well at last we've got our server back up!! Slight problem now is that many users have not got all of their emails. I think they have got offline folders in use - if I check in Documents and Settings under the path "\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\", I have an outlook0.ost file (761KB) and an and outlook.ost file (33,745KB). I cant get access to the outlook.ost file!! If I try and add another Data File, I can only load a .PST - how do I load the original outlook.ost? If I select Data Files, Settings, Advanced and click the Offline Folder File Settings button, I dont get an option to change location - the browse button is "greyed" out!! Outlook Client is 2007

Any help much appreciated!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12