+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, Can i NOT save changes to a profile? in Technical; Have you logged on as a pupil with the ntuser file named as .dat. Then logged off. Then renamed the ...
    Thank Post
    Have you logged on as a pupil with the ntuser file named as .dat. Then logged off. Then renamed the file ntuser.man?

Thank Post
    Yep. I think this was one of the final things i done before i realised that it was fine with an open profile.

However, if the GPO mentioned above does the trick, i'm happy with it being open and the gpo not saving any changes.

Can't believe i've miss the option 'don't save settings'

I still haven't had a chance to check just yet.

Thank Post
    'Do not save settings at exit' is only for desktop features, so i doubt that will work as it still saves new shortcuts if they're created and i guess it will probably save application data etc too.

I think i'll look into "Prevent roaming profile changes..." as mentioned, as i looks like it might do a job.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,775 Posts
    I've lost my way with this thread.

have you discounted using a single madatory profile? If so, why?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stu1892 View Post
    cheers domino, i'll check that out.

@ amcevoy - there's a licence file off our portal intranet which needs the profile to be open for some reason. Mandatory doesn't suit at all. Drives me mad!
    That makes no sense. A mandatory profile is no different to a roaming profile when on the client - ie if you created a roaming profile with a .dat file, logged in, then created one with a .man file the 2 would be identical. It only has a difference when saving back to the server.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,775 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    That makes no sense. A mandatory profile is no different to a roaming profile when on the client - ie if you created a roaming profile with a .dat file, logged in, then created one with a .man file the 2 would be identical. It only has a difference when saving back to the server.

This perhaps equires the use of the mandatory profile as a roaming profile to acquire the licence file and then switch it to mandatory. As is suggested in the Small Mandatory profiles thread.

Thank Post
    I have no idea. We use mandatory profiles and i made them by leaving them as .dat, doing what i had to do, including getting this licence working, then made it mandatory. Then every user that uses it should get all the settings including this licence, but they don't.

It may even be a local setting. When i was doing a load of testing, the first mandatory user (eg. user.001) to log on to the pc got the licence, then if user.002 logged on with the same mandatory profile, they didn't, user.003 and so on also didn't, but i think user.001 did again.

The only way around this has been user.001 .002 etc with a non-mandatory profile. But unfortunately this means recent programs are the same etc and kids may mess about with program settings. We haven't let this loose on the kids yet though

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What software is it? It seems like their should be a way around the whole licensing problem instead of re-inventing mandatory profiles.

Thank Post
    It's Xstandard, which is a development tool apparantly.

I emailed them and they fobbed me off to the developer who also can't help me .

This was Xstandards reply
    A software developer needs to setup up the license file and configure Pro features because this needs to be done in code.
    What it does is gives a you an extra tool bar in a text window on a website, just like the one we're typing in here. If it can't get the licence it shows the 'lite' version which doesn't have this extra toolbar.

Apparently this is a big thing for my boss.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12