+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Run As problem in Technical; Hello, I have a random problem with run as, when I go to teachers pc, whom of course are logged ...
    Thank Post

Run As problem

Hello, I have a random problem with run as, when I go to teachers pc, whom of course are logged in with their accounts, sometimes I need to launch an exe or open a Control Panel Extension, well it is there where I use the Run As and then enter the Admin account, but some machines will not allow me to do that, I select the run as, enter credentials and then got the error message about the account not being reconginzed or does not exist,,, tried with domain admins and also local admin account with the same result so only if I log in using the admin account then I can run anything no problem. I did a quick search on the net and they say something about secondary logon service must be running, (the service is running in every machine).

any ideas??

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts
    Have you tried domainname\username and then enter the password?

Thank Post
    yes, done that, when you enter credentials, it only gives you those two fields, username and password so your only choice is doing it domain\username and password.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts
    I was just checking, as you can just type username and then password, but domainname\username and then password is the recommended method.

The Run as command isn't really applicable to admins which is why everything works (as you'd expect). You're an administrator after all Why can't the users run specific .exe's? Are you using Windows XP or Vista?

Thank Post
    using XP

of course users (members of Staff) are not allowed to run EXEs and also we got restrictions to control panel components, that is why when you walk in half way the lesson and you need to install something it is not a good idea to log the teacher off along with closing all the applications they are on.

it is just weird why only happens on some machines if they are all configured the same and under the same domain.

Thank Post
    Yeah encountered this too - i find it best sometimes to open Command Prompt and use the
    Code:
    runas /user:domain\username app.exe
    method (usually another command prompt depending what Im running

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information