+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, DNS Problems... DCHP correct, DNS wrong in Technical; We are having a major headache with DNS here... as you can se below the DNS ip is not matching ...

Thank Post

DNS Problems... DCHP correct, DNS wrong

We are having a major headache with DNS here...

as you can se below the DNS ip is not matching the DCHP ip, the DHCP ip is correct... When i try to ping eg. LC1-02 from a wokstation i get the wront ip.....

We have DNS setup on DC1 and DC2..

We had a company set up DNS a hile back an im pretty sure that they setup the reverse lookup zone incorrectly (maybe forward also!!)
    heres how they setup the reverse is setup:

Im pretty sure that its totally wrong our default gateway is 10.50.4.1..
    when you try and manually add an pointer you can see the IP is messed up!

as you can se ive paused the one that they created and redone it myself to how i think it should be.. but im not 100% sure !!

Is there anything that is jumping out to anyone? or something i can please check?

When i try and refresh DNS or RELOAD nothing changes, sae for ipconfig /fushdns on a workstation.. the only way i can fix the problem is right clicking on the ip in DNS and deleting it, then a flush on the workstation...

please help !!

Cheers in advance
    Last edited by burgemaster; 17th June 2008 at 11:33 AM.

Thank Post
    What happens when you do a 'reload from master' on your DNS zone?
    If "Reload from Master" is the same as Reload, then initially it did nothing, after deleting LC1-02 and then reloading, LC1-02 did not reappear, after 10-15min and another RELOAD it reappeared and had the correct IP.

What happens when you try an NSLOOKUP query against a machine's name - do you get two IP addresses back?

Are your two DNS servers agreeing with each other?
    Yes they look the same

Also, are there any DNS error messages in eventviewer?
    yeah quite a few, but only on DC2 !! Mainly related to Pinters and Wireless access points...

The DNS server encountered error 32 attempting to load zone 4.50.10.in-addr.arpa from Active Directory. The DNS server will attempt to load this zone again on the next timeout cycle. This can be caused by high Active Directory load and may be a transient condition.

The DNS server has encountered numerous run-time events. To determine the initial cause of these run-time events, examine the DNS server event log entries that precede this event. To prevent the DNS server from filling the event log too quickly, subsequent events with Event IDs higher than 3000 will be suppressed until events are no longer being generated at a high rate.

The DNS server could not load the records for the DNS name PE SAMSUNG 510 found in the Active Directory integrated zone wolverley.local. A possible cause is that this DNS name contains character(s) not permitted by the name-checking setting on this DNS server.

thanks for replying, any ideas mate?
    Last edited by burgemaster; 17th June 2008 at 12:38 PM.

Thank Post
    Looks like your machines haven't registered the fully qualified domain. Try entereing lc1-03.wolverly.local into NSLOOKUP and see if it works.
    Exactly the same result...

Looks like your reverse zone is borked. If you don't need it, delete it. You can recreate it later in your own time.
    I paused the old reverse lookup and re-create it, I think now the reverse is working as it now has Pointers/entries building up in it.

But still doesnt help the fwd....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by burgemaster View Post
    This smells of DNS not having proper NS records set or perhaps the DNS records for your FWD zone aren't correct here.

As for doing a NSLOOKUP on <your-pc-name> (not FQDN) - you need to have DNS search suffixes configured inside of Group Policy to make that little gem work, however it's not 100% important right now as even if you put in the FQDN - you still get nothing.

Let me throw you the entries we have here for one of our working zones.

FWD Zone:
    (Same as Parent) Start of Authority (SOA) [###] dns.local, hostmaster.local
    (Same as Parent) Name Server (NS) dns.local
    dns Host (A) ##.##.##.##

### - Any number, usually relates to the number of updates the zone has had.
    ##.##.##.## - IP

Replace 'dns.local' with the FQDN of your DNS server.
    Ensure that your DNS server has an A record in it's own zone.

Once done, Clear the DNS cache and then go to a local PC and type NSLOOKUP <your-DNS-server-FQDN> <your-DNS-server-IP>

This should then give you a positive lookup - I hope.

HTH,

Az

Thank Post
    Thanks guys, will have another look today !!
    Will post back

PS. "NSLOOKUP says default server is 'unknown'. That's not good." <-- i think thats a vista thing
    Last edited by burgemaster; 18th June 2008 at 11:40 AM.

Thank Post
    i think i may have found the problem, when i did a "netsh dhcp show server" to list all the DCHP servers (we only have one) i was getting 4 authorised dchp servers !!!

one was completely wrong, incorrect name to ip address, other 2 were on other servers which have not got dchp or ever have on them..
    anyways i have cleaned it up and now I only have DC2 as the auth DCHP server.

Fingers crossed this will sort it out
    Thanks for the help

Thank Post
    Is there a PTR record in the reverse lookup zone for 10.50.4.21 is it a DC?

Did you have any 9x machines in the past?

Thank Post
    Start with the simple stuff, in DHCP check your scope options and make sure you have entries for DNS Servers and DNS Domain Name. While your there check the DNS servers listed are correct and actually are DNS servers (even consider pointing it to 1 DNS for now).
    Once thats done, see whats changed and if its worked then move on to the DNS if not.
    As others have said check you have your name server(s) listed for your forward lookup (right click on the domain name in flz - properties) and ditch the reverse zones and try again.

9. Thanks to CHR1S from:

dwimorberg (21st June 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread