+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Changing Product Key from OEM to VL - win2k3r2?? in Technical; This is probably a non-starter but I thought I'd ask anyway... I have a server which I had to install ...
    Thank Post

Changing Product Key from OEM to VL - win2k3r2??

This is probably a non-starter but I thought I'd ask anyway...

I have a server which I had to install in a hurry using my Win2k3R2 disks from the partner program which after a little research appears to provide the OEM disks.

Unfortunately it's already too late to do a reinstall otherwise I'm going to be in a world of hurt so I'm looking for options.

First question is whether I can use some of these suggestions to reset the product type and key at the same time:
    How to change the Volume Licensing product key on a Windows XP-based or a Windows Server 2003-based computer

Secondly whether or not I can use the win2k3 disk 1 to do a repair (not via the repair console).

Any suggestions welcome...

Thank Post
    I thought you needed the VL media to use the VL Key?
    Im sure you do - whihc means a re-install of the server if you want to switch from OEM to VL

Also, wouldn't changed the product type breech the EULA?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    I thought you needed the VL media to use the VL Key?
    Im sure you do - whihc means a re-install of the server if you want to switch from OEM to VL
    Well I now have both types of media... When I installed it the OEM disk (I thought stupidly it might be a VL version) was all I had and I had no time to wait for anything else.

Also, wouldn't changed the product type breech the EULA?
    No sense in arguing the toss is there... but ultimately I fail to understand how the products, being pretty much exactly the same, are understood by some license to be completely different... Ah well.

I'm aware that fine print legal this may not be legal but if I have the licenses, the media and everything has been paid, so running a repair will provide the solution without requiring another wasted day.

What I'd appreciate knowing is whether or not this is likely to damage the AD or not..

Thank Post
    Depends - can you re-run the VL media install as an "upgrade" ? since VL is technically an upgrade licence anyway?

Thank Post
    You might be able to perform a 'repair' installation using the VL media.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 974 Posts

magic jelly bean key finder

Magical Jelly Bean Software - Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder version 1.51 ( not the latest one )

Am presuming that uses the same method as the link you posted anyway - short of that its a repair install but not sure what that will do with regards to your config.

If those are the only choices then the one you posted first is most likely better.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the suggestions folks... As it happens I have a couple of other servers (Proliant ML110's) that had the same situation but I was prepared to reinstall those as I hadn't done much...

I've tried the repair scenario on them and so far they seem to be working ok...

As I've setup the important files using DFSM replication on to one of the newly upgraded servers and am about to do a dcpromo to make the secondary an domain controller I figure that, coupled with an ASR backup should leave me with the necessary space to sort out the primary as a repair as well.

Bit of a pain but at least in future I'll have all the necessary media for all types on me so lessons learned.. yet again.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread