+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Exchange and Outlook Newb in Technical; We currently have all sorts of different systems in place at our school, for our email, calendar, memo's, website etc ...

Thank Post

Exchange and Outlook Newb

We currently have all sorts of different systems in place at our school, for our email, calendar, memo's, website etc etc etc...

I would ideally like to tie some of these systems together, to reduce complexity and to improve the school calendar as there are lots of complaints regarding its colour scheme, layout and also that the school email system is pretty average. We would probably start with email mailboxes for staff to begin with, but we already have lots of email accounts already in place for staff.

What I need to know is:
    1) How easy is it to transfer email addresses from an existing email setup to exchange (we currently use SquirrelMail on Unix which is provided by the LA).

2) How easy is it to tie this in with outlook 2003 (which is on every client in school) and active directory, so that when users log onto machines, email notifications show up almost straight away!

3) How complex is the calendar feature in exchange/outlook and can you setup a school calendar, as well as personal planners/calendars for staff?

4) We would also like to setup some sort of pre-organised address books (so that staff can send out emails to the leadership group, hods, heads of year very easily, as well as personal address books?

5) SquirrelMail provides web-access for staff at home, when they are not in school. Is it possible and easy to provide exchange access at home via a web interface (I have heard of Outlook Web Access)?

Thanks,
    Mark

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,700 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by markwilliamson2001 View Post
    We currently have all sorts of different systems in place at our school, for our email, calendar, memo's, website etc etc etc...

I would ideally like to tie some of these systems together, to reduce complexity and to improve the school calendar as there are lots of complaints regarding its colour scheme, layout and also that the school email system is pretty average. We would probably start with email mailboxes for staff to begin with, but we already have lots of email accounts already in place for staff.

What I need to know is:
    1) How easy is it to transfer email addresses from an existing email setup to exchange (we currently use SquirrelMail on Unix which is provided by the LA).

2) How easy is it to tie this in with outlook 2003 (which is on every client in school) and active directory, so that when users log onto machines, email notifications show up almost straight away!

3) How complex is the calendar feature in exchange/outlook and can you setup a school calendar, as well as personal planners/calendars for staff?

4) We would also like to setup some sort of pre-organised address books (so that staff can send out emails to the leadership group, hods, heads of year very easily, as well as personal address books?

5) SquirrelMail provides web-access for staff at home, when they are not in school. Is it possible and easy to provide exchange access at home via a web interface (I have heard of Outlook Web Access)?

Thanks,
    Mark
    1. easy when you create the address'es you just setup the alias, you can get all people done in a few clicks.

2. You can use someing called richprofile & a batch file to configure the users outlook as they login.

3. Its pretty straight forward once you have the hang of it

4. With exchange every user who has a e-mail address is in the address book. You can create a group in AD and use that group as a distribution group, then you add the people you want. For example we have a group called all staff and all staff members are in that group and you e-mail that group it will reach all staff members.

5. Yep that can be done, easy to setup

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It might be also worth also looking at a free alternative

Zimbra offers Open Source email server software and shared calendar for Linux and the Mac

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-Greatermanchester View Post
    Nice idea, but we already pay for and are licensed for Outlook/Office 2003, and probably pay for Exchange server as part of the school's agreement! I am trying to use all the software we pay for as part of the school's agreement, as my boss (network manager) always feels agrieved about the sum of money needed to pay out for the school's agreement from MS every year!

I think the improvements of the calendar in outlook could really benefit us. I am also trying to reduce the amount of paper flying around our school, as our printer costs are HUGE, and using outlook could save large amounts of paper, toner and reliance on printers for paperwork within school. We will also have some new servers soon, so our current curriculum servers could easily run the email system without breaking a sweat.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think you get Outlook 2003 with Exchange 2003 anyway, they put a stop to that in version 2007.

Anyway if you think its right go for it. But remember each user with a mailbox will need an Exchange CAL then you have to pay for the server software. If you are going to use Outlook Web Access then I would get a front end exchange server.

This might be a handy link

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/...ge-Server.html

Also take a look around http://www.msexchange.org/ is packed full of useful info
    Last edited by FN-GM; 15th June 2008 at 10:39 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread