+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Software Deployment in Technical; Does anyone know of a program, open source preferable, Although anything that will do the job. Im after a program ...
    Thank Post

Software Deployment

Does anyone know of a program, open source preferable, Although anything that will do the job.

Im after a program that i can use for software distribution and deployment in a small active directory domain. I have used group policies but i find it annoying that i cant publish an application to a machine, i can only do it for a user.

I have trialed SCCM and it worked on this but it was abit of a pain because i already have a place where i store my software and when i added it to sccm it copied it to a deployment point which seemed pointless having multiple copies of the same program.

Although i said domain above i dont want it domain exclusively ability to link into active directory will be nice, but i also have a few non domained machines that i wouldnt mind being able to manage.

Any Suggestions

Adam

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,571 Times in 2,188 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You can deploy the applications to the machines directly in AD, just add all of the machines to a separate OU and add a group policy with the deployment in it. It will install to the machines themselves without involving the users.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,513 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Im after a program that i can use for software distribution and deployment in a small active directory domain. I have used group policies but i find it annoying that i cant publish an application to a machine, i can only do it for a user.
    This is completely normal. You assign to a machine or assign or publish to a user. You can't publish to a machine.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Why do you want to publish them anyway, all this does is put the icons on the screen, it then installs the whole application the first time a user clicks on it. In almost all situations deploying the applications (assigning them) is the best choice.

Thank Post
    I have had a few issues in the past where when publishing an application it installs for the user logged on (which seems a good idea), how ever some packages i have used install the shortcuts just in that users start menu and desktop, (again fair enough, although even altering the ini files or running it as an all user install doesnt work). But then when i have had another user on that machine who is entitled to use the same program when they try and instlall it, it winiges it is already installed.

For instance i have 2 people who user our financial systems, but they dont always use the same pc, they seem to opt for a find one thats free in the office type idea, and so soemtimes they have to install software, sometimes they end up using the same machine after each other and so on. it does seem abit silly, but they are beencounters.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If you assign the programs to the machines rather than the users then it will install all user specific icons etc to the all users start menu and desktop as the programs are installed to the machine before any user is logged on.

As to the beancounters, I would simply deploy the software to all the machines that they are likely to use in the office, that way it is always avalible to them.

Thank Post
    You can assign or publish software to a computer if you use the group policy loopback mode set to merge. It will install software onto machines in OU's that dont 'contain' users.

1. In the Group Policy Microsoft Management Console (MMC), click Computer Configuration.
    2. Locate Administrative Templates, click System, click Group Policy, and then enable the Loopback processing mode option. Set this property to 'merge' and update your policy.

It does work, as I do this on a weekly basis.

Have fun.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aa0202 View Post
    Does anyone know of a program, open source preferable, Although anything that will do the job.
    AutoIt.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    You could try Purgos - Softulz.Net - Purgos WMI based network and system administration software - not much action on the website, but it works.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have had a few issues in the past where when publishing an application it installs for the user logged on (which seems a good idea), how ever some packages i have used install the shortcuts just in that users start menu and desktop, (again fair enough, although even altering the ini files or running it as an all user install doesnt work). But then when i have had another user on that machine who is entitled to use the same program when they try and instlall it, it winiges it is already installed.
    That's by design - publishing software makes it available to a single user when they need it. Because of the way MSIs work, they seem to get confused if a non-admin user installs a package and a second non-admin user can't use the package!

For instance i have 2 people who user our financial systems, but they dont always use the same pc, they seem to opt for a find one thats free in the office type idea, and so soemtimes they have to install software, sometimes they end up using the same machine after each other and so on. it does seem abit silly, but they are beencounters.
    Seems reasonable to me that they just use which ever machine is free?? Or perhaps I'm just misunderstanding??

EN4
    Thank Post

Thumbs up

Hi... I also want to deploy some software (MSI). Been having a few issues. The computers OU in under the domain that a group policy is applied to, but the software does seem to get deployed!! Do I need to great a new GPO directly on the computers OU and configure the software to be deployed from there, as opposed from the main domain GPO?

Any help appreciated.

EN4
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EN4 View Post
    Hi... I also want to deploy some software (MSI). Been having a few issues. The computers OU in under the domain that a group policy is applied to, but the software does seem to get deployed!! Do I need to great a new GPO directly on the computers OU and configure the software to be deployed from there, as opposed from the main domain GPO?

Any help appreciated.
    Getting this message now>>

add operation failed unable to extract

can anybody help?

Thank Post
    WindowsServer2003-KB925336-x86-ENU.zipWindowsServer2003-KB925336-x86-ENU.zipThis is because of a bug with Microsoft. It means you haven't got enough virtual memory to install via GP. Installing this patch on your server (server 2003?) will resolve the issue

EN4
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Singist View Post
    WindowsServer2003-KB925336-x86-ENU.zipWindowsServer2003-KB925336-x86-ENU.zipThis is because of a bug with Microsoft. It means you haven't got enough virtual memory to install via GP. Installing this patch on your server (server 2003?) will resolve the issue
    Looks like that has sorted it... I've installed an MSI file on one PC and will try the rest tomorrow.

Thank you very much Singist.

I love this place ad the fact that everyone helps each other out.

Thank Post
    You're entirely welcome

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread