+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Recovery software/Offline files in Technical; Right, possibly the worst day anyone has ever had has been sprung upon me today. One of my sites has ...

Thank Post

Recovery software/Offline files

Right, possibly the worst day anyone has ever had has been sprung upon me today. One of my sites has been without Antivirus for the past few weeks while funding was sorted, guess what happened, remember the svch0st virus from back when? A teacher brought that in on a pen drive by accident and it went to every Pc and every laptop, spending the whole day in safe mode removing these and installing sophos and sorting out shortcuts and the such as they just had a server rebuild. The virus is still about but is almost done, yay???? No!

Well as its report writing time I thought it best to move the offline files from the old server local cache to the new server so they would have a backup of the reports. I fiddled with csccmd but realized it was easier to just copy the modified data and reinitialize the cache and point it to the new server, clean and simple.

A few hours later a teacher comes to me asking where his work for the last few weeks is, guess what I forgot, if you put a folders data grouped by modified, then it will only be with files, not folders, yes, I have, in my rushed state, not copied the reports over that have been done, and reinitialized the offline cache!

I am sweating, I need to find a program, tonight that will recover the data, is it possible? Due to the virus people havent been backing up properly, it is a complete mess, there must be some way of recovering the data surely? I tried restoration but that came up with nothing, is there a better program, I dont care if it's costly, as long as it will work.

Sorry for the rant but I really really need some help.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 1,458 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you cant find a way to recover the files I would blame the virus.

But sorry I have no solution for you

Thank Post
    I would, but the head who I work closely with, knows IT, I can possibly get away with using the virus as some form of defence, but I cant blame it fully.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 1,458 Posts
    Blog Entries
    To be fair these things do happen. The stress of the virus just brought it on.

Thank Post
    They do just happen, granted, but not when reports are due in the next week, Im currently looking at recovery software, I so very much hope it can be done

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Not quite sure that I understand what you've done.

"offline files" normally suggests that there's a server (eg with home drives) and then laptops/PCs etc which are sometimes used off the network.

Are you saying that you've deleted the contents of the home drive share from a server but not touched the individual machines? If so, I think CSCcmd can recover the files (if not just explorer on its own)

Have you deleted the files from the server and from the workstations? if so, I'd guess you're down to using file recovery software. if you've not put anything else onto the old server then I think you're in with a good chance - the folders will come back complete with all files in them.

If you've deleted the offline cache and that wasn't synched with the server then, again, you should be in luck - file recovery program should get them back.

Good luck!

Thank Post
    PM'd you pal - think your be alright!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    Not quite sure that I understand what you've done.

"offline files" normally suggests that there's a server (eg with home drives) and then laptops/PCs etc which are sometimes used off the network.

Are you saying that you've deleted the contents of the home drive share from a server but not touched the individual machines? If so, I think CSCcmd can recover the files (if not just explorer on its own)

Have you deleted the files from the server and from the workstations? if so, I'd guess you're down to using file recovery software. if you've not put anything else onto the old server then I think you're in with a good chance - the folders will come back complete with all files in them.

If you've deleted the offline cache and that wasn't synched with the server then, again, you should be in luck - file recovery program should get them back.

Good luck!

Basically what I did was move the old server files to the new server and rebuilt the old one, they are shared out as they were on the old server.

On the local machine I moved all of what I thought were the modified files, then reinitialized the cache on the offline files page (cntrl+ shift and click delete files to reinitialize the cache). I then made the files offline on the new server and then got told I missed files so the cache has been deleted, I would normally feel quite calm with recovery software but the program restoration had no luck, but the program is quite basic. Was trying to cut corners due to business, really shouldn't have.

Thanks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread