+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, ISA and...? in Technical; I'll start a new topic on this as all your thoughts are welcomed. We have ISA 2004. I have been ...

Thank Post

ISA and...?

I'll start a new topic on this as all your thoughts are welcomed.

We have ISA 2004. I have been told by my NM that "under no circumstances are we getting rid of it".

So, in lieu of my need to block by keyword and not just by URL, suggestions are welcomed for products that will work with ISA, but cost as little as possible.

Censornet is the recommendation that's stood out so far (currently pulling that down and hope to play in the next week or so)...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: ISA and...?

IPCop + Advanced Proxy Addon + URL Filter Addon

Includes keyword filter, AD authentication and enchanced log viewer amongst other things. Highly recommended.

Thank Post

Burst Technology do a nice add on that should totally cater for your needs. You can completely customise it to your needs, but tbh, the default configuration is good enough.

http://www.burstek.com/

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Squid and Dansguardian. You can do seamless (ie, no prompts) NTLM authentication too. If you do, you can do per group filtering (staff/students/IT techs).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

We have ISA 2004. I have been told by my NM that "under no circumstances are we getting rid of it".
    so don't get rid of it, just bypass it

Thank Post

Thats how my other box is setup I keep swopping inbetween them both while I get it working as I want it. Here is a screen shot of the admin panel which shows the options available and the components it's made up of. It's good to start off with but like me you may find yourself doing your own solution later on when the logon box becomes a pain and or you need to put it on some unsupported hardware.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts

I am going to do a Censornet deploy in a small primary school at Easter, so I may be nudging you Chris if I mess it up! I have tried playing with it recently and it works well, and seems idiot proof, but as a Linux newbie, I am stuffed if it goes badly wrong

Thank Post

Its a good one to start with as its all setup for you so you can have a look at how things are setup. Id be happy to answer any questions the Censornet forums tend to be a little slow.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts

Thanks for that Chris, Basically, they A cannot afford Websense / Surf Control (or A N Other big name) and B, they will end up on a County LEA service for the internet in the next 2 years, so its pointless spending £1000's on fancy solutions when the county will practically force them onto there system from there own setup they have now. So we are spending the money that would have been spent on Surf Control on more PCs for the classrooms and better software such as Photoshop elements etc....

Thank Post

You dont need a big name these will do do the job admirably. They may not be quiete as polished and easy to use (or are they) but you cant argue with £0 for the sake of a little learning. Especially when the savings can be annual in a lot of cases

Thank Post

You won't get rid of it You would just be updating it Besides - from what you tell us about him - he won't put the effort in to change it back, but you could make him justify doing so to the management

Thank Post

I'm conscious that a lot of money will have gone to waste if I bypass the ISA server... so, I'm going to try and set up Censornet in the next month (he's away from Friday, hurrah!) to prove that my solution works and is free, whereas he got on the phone to his suppliers yesterday, demanding the 'best solution' (and then went cap in hand to the head and told him it'd cost £4k!)

As an aside, I got in touch with Burstek, and they quoted me $4500 US (2600 GBP) for 250 workstations... :-o

Still, one awaits the day when it's mine (all mine!) and I can do as I please :-D

Thank Post

Guaranteed they will moan about the logon prompt new version out later this year though although probably late this year. I also have some very rough instructions for getting Squid and DG working with AD groups under debian with transparent autentication.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH
    Guaranteed they will moan about the logon prompt
    They being the NM here?

He's just said to me: "I'm not having them login twice, most of them can't manage it the first time around. Mind you, in the same breath he imparted this piece of wisdom on me:

"IT support is about doing as little as possible as the systems should run themselves"
    (that explains his constant Googling over the past month planning for his holiday / searching for Liverpool related items / telling me how to make a lightsabre / buying Oakley sunglasses... etc etc)

Those instructions would be useful, I'll PM you my email addy

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by indiegirl
    He's just said to me: "I'm not having them login twice, most of them can't manage it the first time around.
    If my users can do it, so can yours. Admittedly they have been indoctrinated from Y7 and it's a case of "Learn or do not use". You just have to ensure that _any_ attempt to access the web triggers the "log on" page rather than breaking.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information