+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, and on and on and on and on in Technical; Will XP live forever Windows XP given additional resuscitation | The Register...
    Thank Post

and on and on and on and on

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 721 Posts
    Yes but only in Home flavor on ultra low-cost personal computers.

Thank Post
    but soon departing chairman Bill Gates has said
    is he leaving?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by button_ripple View Post
    is he leaving?
    he's retiring I believe

Thank Post
    As you should be able to buy licences and new drivers will be written for longer you could probably put it on other PC's as well.

Bill is stepping down from the mainstream next month he'll be hanging around no doubt but someone else will be taking over his duties.

If i was him i'd of retired ages ago and spent some time sailing on my super yaught ;-)

Thank Post
    Drivers could well be the issue that kills XP off normal desktops, had a right mare trying to get a Fujitsu Siemens laptop on XP as Vista was so dire.

Driver support from manufacturer was non-existent, luckily some nice chappie on a forum had already run driver detection and packed the lot up in a ZIP file from VIA, RealTek and co

Think Gates will still be around but he's spending 80% of his time on his charity now rather than work

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    I heard the Gates foundation had teamed up with Monsanto - to help distribute IP patented crops in Africa.

Thank Post
    I heard the Gates foundation had teamed up with Monsanto - to help distribute IP patented crops in Africa
    Oh dear, it'll happen sooner or later there's money to be made but it's a mistake IMHO. As the gov have said "if we don't do it someone else will" i don't agree with it but it's true.
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 4th June 2008 at 03:40 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,206 Posts
    I do think XP will live a lot longer simply because of the direction IT is going and that's more mobile. The end result is that mobility unfortunately affects performance, so components need to run cool and more efficient on laptops and other portable devices.

Vista just doesn't run well on lower specced hardware, so until they remove Vista's flab - a one OS for all vision just will not happen across multiple devices. Windows XP does most of what Vista offers but far more efficiently.

Unfortunately Windows 7's MinWin approach appears to be false and I still feel lessons aren't being learnt. A module based approach is without a doubt the best way forward so you're running just the services you need, but also minimise your attack surface. It isn't rocket science, yet Microsoft still don't do it.

Thank Post
    MinWin is unfortunately an internal project to rid windows of it's dependencies so even though they have a 27 meg http server running on the NT kernel it will never see the light of day. I do however expect to see a light weight version of Windows 7, the client team are working very hard to make sure that Win7 is not any more heavy than Vista (which is very possible now they aren’t writing code to keep Intel happy) but as i say i've heard of a lighter version in the pipe.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,206 Posts
    They need to seriously optimise Windows 7, because although it's full of features, if it ran like Windows 2000 does on modern hardware it would appeal a lot more to network managers and end users around the globe.

Thank Post
    Yep i agree. It seems MS have a new focus on lighter code take Silverlight as an example unfortunatly it could take some time to turn Windows around but if any org can do it it's them as they have the R&D budget to pull it off if the will is there.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information