+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, Advice on leaving RM in Technical; I have CC3 at my school which I installed ground up, on the whole I am happy with it as ...
    Thank Post

Re: Advice on leaving RM

I have CC3 at my school which I installed ground up, on the whole I am happy with it as it allows a large amount of computers to be run by a small amount of IT support staff. Its cheaper to train up junior technicians as well. Mind you I do have some serious gripes with their lack of service in a certain area (buggy hotfixes).

Thank Post

From what i've seen when CC3 is working it's very good, but i can see why you'd want to move away from it cause it's not often that it is working, lol. My school moved away from it a few years back, but never trust lea support to help you ... First attempt was done by creating a new domain and running the old and new side by side trusted.

However that didn't go so well when the RM system was eventually removed. Last year i did it on my own and just bought in two new DC's, vanilla 2003 server and XP clients. You might want to get your head stuck into the GP's so you know what you need to do when it comes to the crunch. I'd say get a couple of machines and build your own test server and client and have a play with them. Get used to it all before you jump in the deep end... And be prepared for staff to be miserable for a while cause they liked RM?

That's what caused a lot of problems here when they did it first, they wanted it to look and work like RM without the cost and any time spent in getting it ready??? I think it was done over two weeks which sounded like quite a while but in reality turns out not to be the first time you try it...

But from experience it is very much the best option to remove RM completely and just start over. Do it over the summer if they don't mind the network being down for the whole break and you'll be fine... It takes a bit of effort but very much worth it.

You want to look at package deployment using the GP's and research RIS, or just spend some money on imaging software, but if your confident enough with RIS there's no need to. Again just setup a test server and clients and start playing...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chafftech
    I have CC3 at my school which I installed ground up, on the whole I am happy with it as it allows a large amount of computers to be run by a small amount of IT support staff. Its cheaper to train up junior technicians as well. Mind you I do have some serious gripes with their lack of service in a certain area (buggy hotfixes).
    this is where rm helps and you hit nail on head..

if got a ict support team then rm benafits start to become les and less but for small team one two two people benfaits are greater as we can spend less time focus on network set/creation and more on the day to day jobs....

russ

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

We have been RM CC3 since 2002 and I must say, touch-wood, we've had very few problems, and it doesn't cost us a fortune. There's only the servers and the licenses that we've bought from RM and two initial ICT suites of 30 PCs. We haven't spent anything with them for over a year now (last item was set of licenses). I'm not singing their praises too much (personally don't agree with some of their policies/products/pricing and so on) but the network runs well. A few of the features we like it for:

* Software package building + allocating is usually a breeze if the software's good enough

* Rebuilding machines is as simple as booting from a floppy and responding to a few questions (or even do it remotely if the workstation can boot into Windows and contact the servers)

* Automatic shutdown of machines on an evening

* Remote (re-)imaging of workstations

* Selected staff can reset pupil passwords via the RM console

* Remote access to user homedirs (WebDAV)

* User type GPOs to disable features, for example pupil's can't run EXEs from MyDocs or USB drives and they can't view the address bar in WinExplorer

I can't see any advantages of replacing our domain with vanilla 2003, it wouldn't make sense. What we have, works. It isn't broke so we don't plan to fix it

Thank Post

The tech time argument is definitely the compelling one. Said it before on usenet (to some slight hissing): I reckon it would take me 12 months to replicate all the useful bits from scratch. Obviously that's not the same amount of time it would take to get something more pragmatic up and running.

The thing that bothers me about RM is the overall quality. After all this time I'd have thought it would all be nailed down (code/script/driver management/UIs et al), but I feel like I'm dealing with an ad-hoc collection of beta code.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo
    The tech time argument is definitely the compelling one. Said it before on usenet (to some slight hissing): I reckon it would take me 12 months to replicate all the useful bits from scratch. Obviously that's not the same amount of time it would take to get something more pragmatic up and running.

The thing that bothers me about RM is the overall quality. After all this time I'd have thought it would all be nailed down (code/script/driver management/UIs et al), but I feel like I'm dealing with an ad-hoc collection of beta code.
    I have to agree with the Tech argument too. Running a vanilla system means i have more time to do other jobs. The Vanilla system has been in place for more than 2 years now and has had down time of once (for less than 2 mins because of a bluescreen on one of the servers) It took 1 month to have fully in place and working and does just that works. The most technical job i have to do now is creating users, since i designed the group policys, active directory layout and scipts i know what does what and so i the event of a change or problem i can find out what very quickly, without having to phone RM and wait to see what the problem is. If i have other issues i have the Microsoft Knowledge base which normally has the answer without having to login or have a support agreement.

When i look back to how much time i have wasted on the old Connect 2.4 system we had in place before hand when RM released a patch only for all workstations to need a rebuild because it fucked them up, i'm glad were "normal" now. Will not make the same mistake twice and give RM our money, were not blind.

Taking into account the money savings, tech time saved (and not have to apply performance patchs because logon takes 10 minutes 8O ) going non RM seems very sunny. But obviously if your already have RM Connect 3 in and its working for you and your not planning to expand then going vanilla might be pointless and you will not save money, you'll just have the kids asking there manager at work when they have left school "where is RM Explorer?", "how do i logoff?, i cannot see it in the bottom right hand corner" or when they get to College/Uni "What does 'Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to logon mean?"

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12