+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, NOD32 oddity in Technical; I'm having an issue with NOD 3.0 client where it won't register with the administrator console but will receive updates. ...
    Thank Post

NOD32 oddity

I'm having an issue with NOD 3.0 client where it won't register with the administrator console but will receive updates. If i install 2.7 and enter the name of the admin server and the mirror it registers and downloads updates but 3.0 will only download updates.

The only difference i can see is a check box (Remote admin server requires authentication) that isn't in 2.7 but i've tried setting that and it hasn't made a difference.

Anyone else had this issue?

Cheers.

Thank Post
    Actually it's not that odd there's a new version of the console that wasn't available last time i checked. Sigh

Thank Post
    Ok just in case anyone else reads this i'll list things to be aware of.

If you're running NOD32 2.5/2.7 clients with the version 1 Admin console you can't manage version 3 + clients so you have to upgrade to version 2 of the admin console. This can be done as an in place upgrade and works 98% of the time according to their support.

Any NOD 2.7 packages that you created in the Version 1 admin console will not be compatible with the Version 2 console. To get around this you will need to login to the version 1 console before the upgrade and export your .XML config files then once you have upgraded to the Version 2 console you can import them to configure new packages.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 4th June 2008 at 12:27 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    Ok just in case anyone else reads this i'll list things to be aware of.

If you're running NOD32 2.5/2.7 clients with the version 1 Admin console you can't manage version 3 + clients so you have to upgrade to version 2 of the admin console. This can be done as an in place upgrade and works 98% of the time according to their support.

Any NOD 2.7 packages that you created in the Version 1 admin console will not be compatible with the Version 2 console. To get around this you will need to login to the version 1 console before the upgrade and export your .XML config files then once you have upgraded to the Version 2 console you can import them to configure new packages.

Hope that helps.
    Off topic slightly but I'm desperately trying to find out some info on NOD at the moment and their website is playing up (can't get a sensible answer out of the supplier either ).

We're looking into replacing Sophos with NOD and maybe it's me being a bit slow today but I'm a little bit confused about which products to use. We need to cover our servers, workstations, stand alone laptops (not on the network) and our exchange server and we need to use the Remote Administration tools.

Since I cannot download any of the documentation at the moment I have to resort to asking these questions elsewhere (the website just hangs without dishing up the pdf files).

As far as I can see from the website there is an edition that is version 3.0.657 but does not have the required Remote Administration (possibly this is for standalone machines). There is then the Remote Administrator Console & Server (v2.0.107) and NOD32 with LAN Update Server (v2.70.39). There is also a v2.70.39 without the LAN Update Server.

I'm lead to believe that for our machines to update from a central point we need the LAN Update Server version and the Remote Administration Server/Console. This works fine for our networked machines but which version do we install on the standalone staff laptops?

There is apparently a licence file that we would need to use for the LAN Update Server but how will the licence file work on standalone machines?

Are the versions radically different between the networked one (2.70.39) and the other one (3.0.657) and can it be used with LAN Update Server (answered above I think).

Can I update the Exchange version via the LAN Update Server?

Sorry about this

HBJB

Thank Post

Smile mini overview and a bit of a query

Dunno if you've got your answers Heebeejeebee, but we've got "ESET NOD32 Antivirus (Business Edition)".

We rollout the client [see below about that] and on a server you want to use as a update mirror, you install the ESET Remote Administrator Server [a sort of database I assume it is] and the ESET Remote Administrator Console [for managing the server component - you can also install this on a client machine i.e. your own machine... on our system its dead slow for some reason but i digress...].

Using the console, point it to the localhost [if the console is on the 'update' server] and set it up how you want it i.e. on the updates Tab of the Server Options, set it to:

Choose automatically/20 minutes/esetusername and the password.

and configure the mirror settings to how you want.

Note that the license file is used with the server, not with the client machines.

For the client machines, you will need to configure them to point to your local NOD update server. We have found that the best way is to create a config file called cfg.xml which you can make using the ESET Configuration Editor [its on the Tools menu in the Administrator Console] and place that along side the msi and install it using:

START /WAIT msiexec /i \\server\path\eavbe_nt32_enu.msi /qb-! REBOOT=ReallySuppress

in a startup script or deploy using GP [put the msi and the config file alongside the msi in the folder structure of the GPO you create].

Settings-wise, you'll just have to have a play and get used to it, but at least the above will give you a overall view on how it all works.

The documentation and various nuggets of info about didnt even give me that... had to work it out mainly how it worked. Least this should give any other people new to it a partial clue

The difficulty I'm having with the product at the moment is installing the new version and removing everything else throughout the domain.

So far ESET suggestions hasnt been great i.e. after telling them how many clients [basically 1000/1500+] we have, their suggestion was "As far as uininstalling eset, you simply need to choose uninstall from the start> all programs> eset". Sorry guys... not very useful

I've found that version 3 will fail to install if it detects even a nugget of any antivirus product out there but seems to create a sort of ghost entry in the registry so Group Policy doesnt try to install it again...typical!

And uninstalling their older versions automated [we have varied versions of the software ranging from 2.0 upwards] is less that easy too.

The only thing they have is a uninstaller tool for v2.7... which isn't silent / automatic [well i havent found how to get it to do it silently yet], and there is meant to be a way to uninstall the old clients through the Remote Administrator tool, but it just fails with varied error messages

So... Its a great product, but IMO their support and deployment methods need a bit of improvement. I'm not knocking them here [as its easy for me to say they need to improve this and that] as the product itself is great and is a good antivirus tool.

IF anyone knows of any decent ways to clean up the mess of varied antivirus products [symantec antivirus is about too - tho i have found something called nonav for that, but theres likely to be other old A/V products out there, including the old versions of NOD which refuse to be uninstalled], please give me a shout as any suggestions are really welcome at the moment.

Many thanks to anyone that can help me, and hope this helps you [and others] Heebeejeebee
    Nath.

6. Thanks to tarquel from:

Heebeejeebee (7th July 2008)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread