+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, XP SP3 and RIS. Not happy in Technical; Why is it that every time I try and create a ripprepped image the image bombs out (once fully installed) ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,165 Times in 990 Posts
    Blog Entries

XP SP3 and RIS. Not happy

Why is it that every time I try and create a ripprepped image the image bombs out (once fully installed) on re-boot with a 'the following file is missing or corrupt: \windows\system32\config\system' error. This is when I've installed from a SP2 base image from the RIS server, installed SP3 (both from the web and from a file) and then imaged the system. Damned annoying. Anyone else having this problem or am I special?

Thank Post
    I just downloaded a Windows XP SP3 VLK CD from Technet and using that for my base. I've not bothered with slipstreaming my older images.

If you have a Technet/MSDN subscription, then try this method. If not, maybe try calling Microsoft and asking very nicely if you can get a full SP3 Windows XP VLK release. If that fails, try Ramesys.

I had too many issues with Riprep, so now I am installing all my programs either via svcpack (so far I've got, Office 2003, Flash 9, Adobe Reader 8.1.2, .net 1/1.1/2/3/3.5, Java 6 update 5, Paint.Net, K-Lite Codec Pack, Some additional CPL tools and my registry tweaks) or to install the rest, mainly department specific non essential stuff, I'm using SCCM.

The SVCPACK method installs any slipstreamed updates and addon programs at the T-13 stage. It's great finally being able to have a PC ready to go as soon as it gets to the logon screen for the first time!
    Last edited by Zoom7000; 3rd June 2008 at 10:18 AM.

Thank Post

Angry

Created an image using SP3 downloaded via windows updates installed all software required for the users. Took an image using ghost solution suite 2.2 then sent it out to 5 machines and they all come up with the same error message as DOS_BOX.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    New nLite build fixes serial number error

The latest nLite build works perfectly. I've now got it happily working with RIS from about an hour ago.

Thank Post
    have you got the deployment of sp3 sorted with ris then? if so how did you do it?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Download nLite (latest build) and slipstream the cd using your original CD files and the service pack 3 executable. Then upload the CD as a new image to the RIS server using the servers import applet. Works a treat. I've a sneaking suspicion that the files clashed on the ripprepped image as they weren't the same as the scavenged ones.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    *UPDATE*
    The SP3 CD image I uploaded to the RIS server works perfectly. Once I've loaded on the drivers for my Dell Optiplex GX620s however things turn bad and the endless reboot cycle begins again once I have created the final working image. I suspect that some of the Dell system drivers are 'bad' and bork the install after they overwrite the SP3 drivers. I shall post more later once I've made 'yet another' image up to test the theory.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    *UPDATE*
    The SP3 CD image I uploaded to the RIS server works perfectly. Once I've loaded on the drivers for my Dell Optiplex GX620s however things turn bad and the endless reboot cycle begins again once I have created the final working image. I suspect that some of the Dell system drivers are 'bad' and bork the install after they overwrite the SP3 drivers. I shall post more later once I've made 'yet another' image up to test the theory.
    If you install XP SP3 on the PC manually and update all the drivers as you would normally (without RIS) does it still reboot?

How are you integrating the Dell drivers into the RIS image?

Thank Post
    We use WDS not RIS, but we installed SP3 via WSUS onto one of the PCs then used the new release of Sysprep on the SP3 CD then captured and deployed with no problems..

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The problem seems to be that the SP3 Image from a slipstreamed disk deploys fine via RIS. Any attempt to ripprep the deployed system then produces an image that goes into the reboot cycle when deployed. I suspect the Intel drivers may be to blame. Still producing test images (4 today so far) to see just where the problem lies.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Could be sysprep. I just installed the base disk image and put on the Broadcom drivers, riprepped it only to have it bomb out. Where do I place sysprep on the image if I download the newer version?

Thank Post
    Aren't sysprep and riprep two different tools?

Sysprep just strips out all GUID and SID IIRC.. riprep does that then copies all teh files on the C: drive to the server..

you may need a newer version of riprep if there is one

Could be M$'s underhand tactics to force yo to use WDS

Just found this - Dont know if it'll help

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...&cr=&sloc=&p=1
    Last edited by Gatt; 6th June 2008 at 01:39 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I was always under the impression that riprep invokes sysprep, after all, simply copying the contents of the c: would leave it in need of some kind of SID and GUID stripping.
    I'm just baffled. I can deploy the SP3 CD Image yet not the flat image with just the NIC drivers added. Baffled!

Thank Post
    Dos_Box, what exactly are you using Riprep/Sysprep for? If you are just installing a flat image and then using Riprep/Sysprep to add the drivers, why don't you add these to the image manually or use nLite. Are you using Riprep/Sysprep for any applications as well?

The method I use to RIS PCs:

Copy Windows XP SP3 Build (Downloaded from Technet) to HDD
    Use nLite to integrate the following:
    Post SP3 Update Pack
    All my Addon Packs (Office 2003, Flash 9, Adobe Reader 8.1.2, .net 1/1.1/2/3/3.5, Java 6 update 5, Paint.Net, K-Lite Codec Pack, Some additional CPL tools and my registry tweaks)
    Other nLite Tweaks

Then, add all the drivers to $OEM$\$1\Drivers\
    Also copy these drivers directly into the I386 folder

Copy over to RIS Server and away you go... No messing with Riprep or Sysprep required.

If anyone wants to know about creating addon packages, I could maybe do some guides, however, there are plenty over at MSFN.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast