+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Windows Thread, What would you build... in Technical; And as for 1 computer per child, that won't happen for a long time. We have nearly got to that ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    And as for 1 computer per child, that won't happen for a long time.
    We have nearly got to that stage ;-) Only around 15 machines sort of that.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,601 Times in 1,277 Posts
    So you're saying the curriculum supports IT to the point that one computer is needed per child? The machines are used every lesson 9am - 4pm?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    They are used allot of the time. We had allot of money pumped into doing this a few week month. I think IT can be used to much its used allot here, the head is keen on the idea students getting work of a VLE etc...

Its handy though because if we need to take over a room for what ever reason there is a chance there is somewhere else to go

Thank Post
    Absolutely, I think VLE's work really well forming online school communities. I'm sure the volume of machines keeps you busy

Thank Post
    what size classes do you have there?

we are a primary school and have some classes in the region of 30-35. We have a make-shift ICT Suite with just enough room to squeeze 25 machines in and we have a mobile laptop trolley with 15 in. So in ICT lessons once a week for each class we struggle to give a machine to each child let alone throughout the whole day.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The school have been using the same type of machine now for 2 years. (Not the same ones you get me though) and they have been very reliable touch wood. The only problem is the odd bit of vandalism.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HodgeHi View Post
    what size classes do you have there?

we are a primary school and have some classes in the region of 30-35. We have a make-shift ICT Suite with just enough room to squeeze 25 machines in and we have a mobile laptop trolley with 15 in. So in ICT lessons once a week for each class we struggle to give a machine to each child let alone throughout the whole day.
    the class sizes are 20 - 30 ish, we have around 600 students.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts
    I think the Netgear Managed Wifi is a bit limited in scope and range of stuff, its there first step into the managed sector and fine they have partnered with Aruba on it but its still rather limited the kit but it depends how big your wanting to go and need to go I guess

As those at the conference saw, Ruckus via Net Ctrl is a good system and worth looking into hence why I said it in my ideal one as when im incharge and needing a wifi it will be them I call in.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    another Vote here.

As everyone who attended the conference will know this for people who were unable to attend Ruckus via Net ctrl seem very good.

what they were telling us is fabulous, been speaking to some of the guys there and there always up for setting up a demo in your school for you to test out for a timed agreement i understand.

I will be orginising a day for them to come down to birmingham, and then will get as many birmingham IT Techs/NM to come and have a listen. which is somthing i discussed with them.

Very good.

Net-Ctrl - Ruckus Wireless

Ruckus Wireless

James.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    It would be cheaper then to simply adopt 1Gbps now and 10Gbps in 5 years time. It would work out much more cost effective. I don't know of any school or any company running 10Gbps. You have to weigh up future proofing against budget and I doubt very few schools would even have the budget for a theoretical 10Gbps link.

And as for 1 computer per child, that won't happen for a long time. There isn't enough public money and secondly, most schools don't even have the space, even with laptops. Although I am pro IT (what else would you expect :P), I don't think IT is everything and many lessons and skills can be taught using more traditional methods.

How many schools do you know that have budgeted or plan to implement a 10Gbps backbone to their network?
    very view orgs will be wiling to wait 5 years to implement 10gbps in part or in all....

with new switch purchases and equipment now 1gbps capable, it makes sense that if the endpoints are moving exclusively to 1gbps over the next 2-3 years then 10gbps uplinks be used to link back to the core. Only very specific server applications require 10gbps to the server, but for core uplinks i think 10gbps makes a great deal of sense....with some stackable switches now available with dual personality 1gbps sff or 10gbps x2 ports and at reasonable price, the cost issue is primarily one of the optical interfaces and NICs rather than the cost of the switches.

10gbps blades for some core switches are still quite expensive but again it's more like 18 months to 2 years where the price becomes affordable.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Grommit View Post
    What wireless management system Cisco, HP ?
    I currently use an HP managed solution and it works very well. However if I were to get a second go then I would take a serious look at Extricom (Extricom) wi-fi blanket system. It claims fast roaming and higher client bandwidth.

Thank Post
    very view orgs will be wiling to wait 5 years to implement 10gbps in part or in all....

with new switch purchases and equipment now 1gbps capable, it makes sense that if the endpoints are moving exclusively to 1gbps over the next 2-3 years then 10gbps uplinks be used to link back to the core. Only very specific server applications require 10gbps to the server, but for core uplinks i think 10gbps makes a great deal of sense....with some stackable switches now available with dual personality 1gbps sff or 10gbps x2 ports and at reasonable price, the cost issue is primarily one of the optical interfaces and NICs rather than the cost of the switches.

10gbps blades for some core switches are still quite expensive but again it's more like 18 months to 2 years where the price becomes affordable.
    I think very view organisations won't have implemented 10Gbps until the end of 5 years. Practically every server you can buy now comes with single or dual 1Gbps Ethernet, but the cost of 10Gbps is so much at the moment, you'd be better off buying additional servers to load balance through a 1Gbps switch.

Take the HP 3400cl-24G. This is a 20 port gigabit switch costing around £1800.

The 10Gbps fibre modules vary: J8173A (£1800), J8175A (£1300), J8176A (£4800). These prices are what the modules cost each, so you'd need at least 2, plus the fibre itself.

You can pick up the HP 1800-24G - a 24 port gigabit switch for £240. The gigabit fibre modules also vary: J4858C (£160), J4859C (£400), J4860C (£2200).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HodgeHi View Post
    I might be looking into the netgear wifi management system when our new school is built.

the prosafe range.

Anyone seen and used this yet/

If so what's it like?
    Going that route in the next week or so... I'll report back when I resolve other more pressing issues.

Thank Post
    I actually think what I'd build, and this is cheating, a play room for teachers to try out new technology, ideas and learn how to use some of the kit properly... Sort of a time bubble where they leave their stress and priorities at the door and just learn.

Yeah, ok... the tech isn't there yet but can you imagine!! ?!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,640 Times in 2,044 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I think very view organisations won't have implemented 10Gbps until the end of 5 years. Practically every server you can buy now comes with single or dual 1Gbps Ethernet, but the cost of 10Gbps is so much at the moment, you'd be better off buying additional servers to load balance through a 1Gbps switch.

Take the HP 3400cl-24G. This is a 20 port gigabit switch costing around £1800.

The 10Gbps fibre modules vary: J8173A (£1800), J8175A (£1300), J8176A (£4800). These prices are what the modules cost each, so you'd need at least 2, plus the fibre itself.

You can pick up the HP 1800-24G - a 24 port gigabit switch for £240. The gigabit fibre modules also vary: J4858C (£160), J4859C (£400), J4860C (£2200).
    You're thinking from a schoo/SMB point there. Those prices for a large enterprise would likely get a quick nod as part of a project to ensure network speed for the next X years.

And as for 1 computer per child. Sure, it may be a decade, but the number of machines in schools is ever increasing. The government goal of using VLEs is forcing this. Without 1 pc per child, VLEs in school become kinda pointless. And out of school, even more so.

Cost wise, it isn't that extreme to see it happening. The advent of the cheap UMPC removes some of the issues, such as storage space and cost. I can't remember if it was the Dell or HP model which charges it's battery in 90 minutes. Sure, we need bulk battery charges to be brought out for these PC's but there is no reason why this won't happen very soon.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast