+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, HP Printers in Technical; I seem to have a bad effect on printers, they don't like to be shared when I install them. An ...

Thank Post

HP Printers

I seem to have a bad effect on printers, they don't like to be shared when I install them.

An example: I installed an HP 2600n on Comp1, I then shared this printer. On comp2 I add the printer and then send a test page to it. The test page appears on Comp1's printer spool list and then sits there. It can't be deleted etc.
    However if I restart the printer spooler on Comp1 it prints.

This seems to happen with the majority of HP printers I install and I don't know why.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 1,458 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I take it computer one is a dedicated Print Server, if not why are you doing it this way why not use the network in the printer.

Are you running 32 bit Windows?

Thank Post
    It's not a dedicated printer server though I did try and install it on a dedicated printer server with the same result.

The main issue is, is that I have the same problem with HP 1020s via a USB connection.

Thank Post
    There has been recent topics about this printer. People were getting it fixed by using a normal TCP/IP port (not the HP one) and disabling Bidirectional in the properties.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    There has been recent topics about this printer. People were getting it fixed by using a normal TCP/IP port (not the HP one) and disabling Bidirectional in the properties.
    That's probably a good idea actually. We have a networked one which flashes a message on every computer in the suite when its low on ink and is a royal pain. Disabling bidirectional would prevent that I guess!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
    I seem to have a bad effect on printers, they don't like to be shared when I install them.

An example: I installed an HP 2600n on Comp1, I then shared this printer. On comp2 I add the printer and then send a test page to it. The test page appears on Comp1's printer spool list and then sits there. It can't be deleted etc.
    However if I restart the printer spooler on Comp1 it prints.

This seems to happen with the majority of HP printers I install and I don't know why.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    I've been having exactly the same problem, I can't connect it via network as there is only one network point in that office and it's being used for the computer. I will try disabling the bi-directional setting and let you know.

Thank Post
    Have same issue with this POS printer, tried std tcp port and disabling bi-directional support and it doesn't work, or rather it does work on the print server but each machine connected to the share can't print.

HP solution = install the printer manually on every pc.

Not the solution I was looking for.

Thank Post
    I had exactly the same problem here
    In the end I installed the software on each laptop that would be using that printer

Thank Post
    Just a suggestion but you may want to try uninstalling the HP driver software bulkware and then manually reinstall the driver on the machine that's acting as the print server (in my case usually a Win2k3 server).

To do this you need 7zip and usually I grab the full install package.

Just use 7zip to extract all the guff and then do a manual install via the Add Printer wizard in Win2k3 (not the HP installer). Add a standard TCP/IP port manually and then choose Have Disk... before browsing to your extracted driver.. find the inf and let it run.

This seems to get all the important stuff while leaving all of HP's bloat behind and actually allows the printer to run properly.

This may not solve your problem completely but it's worth a shot if you're faced with manually installing all the software otherwise.

EDIT: Oh and in terms of actually connecting from other workstations... just deploy as normal via a login script or by browsing to the printserver using explorer.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,674 Times in 2,269 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Also update the firmware on the printer as this along with the standard TCP/IP port fixed ours up perfectly.

Thank Post
    Disabling Bi-Directional seems to have worked with the 2600n. Going to test that with the HP 1020s I've had similar problems with once I get chance.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pooley View Post
    Have same issue with this POS printer, tried std tcp port and disabling bi-directional support and it doesn't work, or rather it does work on the print server but each machine connected to the share can't print.

I also have this printer well the 1022n (which is same as the 1020).

Have nothing but trouble with it, had no problems before I need to update to the latest drivers for a few Vista clients, and it crashed the server, caused print spoolers on both server and clients to bum out.

It indeed is a POS printer, tried both the universal drivers, and just plain Laserjet ones.

I have no solution to the problem!!!!

Thank Post
    Share the printer as normal, either networked or a dedicated computer printer, on any other computer install as a local printer and create a new "local port", point it to the printer either by the share name or it's ip address, you will of course have to install the correct driver. Now anyone who logs on to the computer can use the printer. Always disable the bi-directional. This is how we manage all our printers and we have many, many.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pooley View Post

I couldn't believe that when they told me that too!
    Quote Originally Posted by contink View Post
    uninstalling the HP driver software bulkware and then manually reinstall the driver on the machine that's acting as the print server.

Add a standard TCP/IP port manually and then choose Have Disk... before browsing to your extracted driver.. find the inf and let it run.
    This is just what I am about to try and hope it solves the problem

Thank Post
    Popping back onto this thread. I seem to be having an increasing problem similar to my initial post. Particularly with HP 1020s and HP1005s, it's starting to drive me mad as I'm having to reinstall these printers every couple of days to get it to work. The REALLY annoying thing is, is that it's happening with printers that aren't even shared!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread