+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Sibelius 5 in Technical; Does anyone here run Sibelius 5 within their school. I'm trying to figure out if the software can be run ...
    Thank Post

Sibelius 5

Does anyone here run Sibelius 5 within their school. I'm trying to figure out if the software can be run on a Rangered network in two classrooms with two different hardware profiles.

One with EMU-404 Sound Cards, the other with the MIDI Devices imbedded into the "keyboards" themselves.

A member of staff seems to think that we are wrong, and its how the "students profiles are setup as well as ranger itself" as the students have to constantly setup Sibelius settings (latency, default device etc etc) in one of the rooms.

We had the same problem with Cubase Studio, however I found the resolve to that, by logging a student in on 1 of each machine, and than copying the setup "application data". Now whenever a student loads cubase, it copies the 6MB worth of application data into the users folder and than loads Cubase.

It seems the same cannot be done for Sibelius

Thank Post
    You can use an environmental variable in the profile path if you like, although it's a pain to setup at first.

For my future machine builds I will set a computer (not user) environmental variable of something like ProfVer, then I can refer to this in the profile path in AD. \\server\profiles\%profver% this then gets expanded on those machines that have it set (while it still works on those that don't as it actually does look in a "%profver%" folder on the server.

Thank Post
    We’re running Sibelius 4 on a ranger network without problems. As far as I can tell, as long as the program has the IP address of the Sibelius licence server, it will run. It works quite happily with teachers laptops on a different domain.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanVin View Post
    We’re running Sibelius 4 on a ranger network without problems. As far as I can tell, as long as the program has the IP address of the Sibelius licence server, it will run. It works quite happily with teachers laptops on a different domain.
    What about two different hardware profiles in two Music Tech rooms. Student selects Sound Card A in Room A, and Sound Card B in Room B. Needs to be configured every time. Including default instruments, latency and the such.

We got around this issue with Cubase (Cubase saves its config in application data) We just copied it onto a server, remove the start icon and replaced with a COPY > USERFOLDER > START batch file. Works perfectly for different hardware profiles

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    We have two makes of Creative and TBH with Sibelius 5 its best setting it up each time and TBH its a piece of cake to do, I taught year 7 to do it easily. The best advice i've had RE Sib V5 is to leave the Kontakt player turned off and not selected until you open the program and open a score be it new or existing and the performance is much better.

Thank Post
    Originally Posted by SeanVin

Quote Originally Posted by ahuxham View Post
    What about two different hardware profiles in two Music Tech rooms. Student selects Sound Card A in Room A, and Sound Card B in Room B. Needs to be configured every time. Including default instruments, latency and the such.
    We only run Sibelius in one room, however we have two different types of sound card. As far as I'm aware we do not have a problem, at least it hasn't been reported. It may be that the music staff just ensure pupils use the same PC each time or are configuring the program when required. I think it is only the GCSE and A level groups that use Sibelius so it should be easy to manage.

Thank Post
    I have had a chat with the music staff, and they do have the same problem. It is a particular pain when they put students work onto their laptops, as they have to reset all the sounds and are never sure they have the ones the pupils intended. Seems like a major flaw in a piece of software that is heavily promoted in the education market.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    IMHO, Sibelius 5 is very much flawed and I get a feeling that they quietly think this, my personal opinion is that we will see a Sibelius 6 sooner than we expect and that it will have a completly re-engineered sound engine in it or have gone back to the V4 system which worked perfectly well all the time.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanVin View Post
    We only run Sibelius in one room, however we have two different types of sound card. As far as I'm aware we do not have a problem, at least it hasn't been reported. It may be that the music staff just ensure pupils use the same PC each time or are configuring the program when required. I think it is only the GCSE and A level groups that use Sibelius so it should be easy to manage.
    I wish that were the case, but staff often seem reluctant to set things up for the student as its not a solution, just a repititive fix.

We do have 25 machines, all assigned a roaming profile account. MTECH1>25 etc. It works and it doesnt (some settings actually remain, where as Sibelius has many a registry setting)however the students can't save into their own user folders and plagurism takes a hold, and we really cant afford roaming profiles for all students. As the Music Tech rooms are routed through everything from 100MB Switches, Fibre Convertors, Fibre Switches and all that jazz. I think its a 6 switch jump from MTECH to Serveroom.

Its a manageable situation.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread