+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Microsoft Surface in Technical; There hasn't been a thread on this for a while so I thought another one is due. The technology has ...

Thank Post

Microsoft Surface

There hasn't been a thread on this for a while so I thought another one is due. The technology has now been released to a select number of partners. It will be retailing between $5000-$10,000 per unit. MS expects this to drop a lot between now and 2010. This would open the door for schools to start using this as a learning tool. I personally think they would look absolutely fantastic in a LRC and reception areas.

What are your opinions on these devices from what you have seen so far?

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/index.html

Bounced Users
    Thank Post
    looks fancy

but im sure its one of those techs i will never use

Thank Post
    i follow developments to do with microsoft surface but purely from the point of teaching it within lessons on user and device interfaces and future systems for the office and home.

wouldnt mind playing with it though

Thank Post
    I would love one at home but not at that price. Like i said, MS expects it to be priced for home use by 2010. It also wouldn't be worth buying unless developers start writing packages for it that could be useful for a home user.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by m1ddy View Post
    I would love one at home but not at that price. Like i said, MS expects it to be priced for home use by 2010. It also wouldn't be worth buying unless developers start writing packages for it that could be useful for a home user.
    and packages for school use as well - a vast amount of software would need to be rewritten not just for multiple touch but also to be viewed from multiple vantage points.

with budgets and curriculum demands i dont see any school beyond perhaps wealthy primary schools implementing it for years to come.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There may be other alternatives around by the time that MS brings the cost down:
    Open Source Multitouch Surface

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shutdownplease View Post
    and packages for school use as well - a vast amount of software would need to be rewritten not just for multiple touch but also to be viewed from multiple vantage points.

with budgets and curriculum demands i dont see any school beyond perhaps wealthy primary schools implementing it for years to come.
    Think will find number software released for it aimed at education market I know one project that maybe starting sure others that don't know about.

Russ

Thank Post
    As m1ddy says, I can see them being used in reception areas (public libraries and tourist information kiosks too), where currently one might have big plasma screens but I'm not sure I see much if any classroom context for them. Even if you did manage to convince me of some educational merit, I don't think it would justify the cost. $5k would buy you an interactive board, and surely those would be more suitable, if only 'cos they're easier for the whole class to see!

Thank Post
    Seen as 3 of our monitors have been 'inscribed' with some pleasantries from students within the last 4 months - I'd love to see how well a 5k surface would last.

Thank Post

Thumbs up fantastic!

pleased to see that M$ have not only succeeded in poorly implementing a few features of the iPod touch, but they have manged to cram it into an object the size of a small car.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by manxdan View Post
    pleased to see that M$ have not only succeeded in poorly implementing a few features of the iPod touch, but they have manged to cram it into an object the size of a small car.
    You may want to check your history
    Microsoft Surface hands-on - Engadget
    Long before iPhone was unveiled by His Steveness at MacWorld 2007, Bill Gates demoed this very same "Surface" table in his CES 2006 keynote address (I was there in attendance, in Las Vegas) - almost one full year BEFORE the iPhone was unveiled or announced to the world. Does this make Apple the one that stole the concept from Microsoft? Not really, because this kind of stuff has been envisioned and researched upon for decades now.
    Besides they are meant for two totally different purposes, comparing them is meaningless.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread