+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Windows Thread, Enable/Disable Proxy Settings (Easy Way) in Technical; Originally Posted by bmdixon I've written a small exe file which does this. it uses the same principal (modifying the ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 978 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bmdixon View Post
    I've written a small exe file which does this.
    it uses the same principal (modifying the registry) but it is done without using .reg files. It will run in the system tray and changing to any number of different proxies using a simple text file.
    It works on Vista too (as far as i can tell) and also notifies ie of a change so it should work with open browsers too.

(Although this has been tested on several machines there may still be bugs so use at your own risk, but please tell me so i can fix them! )

iProxy.exe
    The program.

settings.ini
    The proxies you wish to use in the form:
    <server>:<port>;<friendly name>
    eg. eduproxy.bgfl.org:80;BGFL Proxy

You can simply run iProxy.exe and it will read the proxies entered into settings.ini.
    If you run iProxy.exe \\<yourservername>\netlogon\settings.ini (or wherever you place a settings file for everyone to use) it will attempt to read the settings from a central location and save them locally (as settings.ini). This allows you to update the settings easily if you need to change them. If it can't find the specified file it will attempt to read them from the local file. If it can't find them there either it will show an error message and quit.
    downloaded the iProxy.exe in the zip file but was curious what if you wanted to set proxy over rides , like if you had a vle or local things you needed to get to ( ie if I was going to use this on my computer and wanted to be able to use the browser to remote into printers or whatever )

Thank Post
    It doesn't do anything with the overides so if they are set on your machine they should stay. I might add that feature into the next version though.

Thank Post
    I created a program using autoit.

It runs on startup looks for a 10. ip address or 192. and sets it accordingly without the need to restart IE.

Works a treat and prompts if neither Ips are detected.

Let me know if ya want the code

Thank Post
    I've written a small exe file which does this.
    it uses the same principal (modifying the registry) but it is done without using .reg files. It will run in the system tray and changing to any number of different proxies using a simple text file.
    It works on Vista too (as far as i can tell) and also notifies ie of a change so it should work with open browsers too.
    Is there a way to add proxy exclusions to this as well?

Thank Post
    I have added the exclusions to this now.
    So now the settings file must be in the form:
    <proxy>:<port>;<exclusions>;name
    eg. eduproxy.bgfl.org:80;*.bgfl.org;Work

(Although this has been tested on several machines there may still be bugs so use at your own risk, but please tell me so i can fix them! )
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bmdixon; 4th June 2008 at 09:07 AM.

Thank Post
    Duplicate posts

Thank Post
    I've been using ProxyPal for quite awhile. It's quite handy because it basically just does the unticking of the box in IE for you. So it remembers what ever proxy settings you have. And its a neat little toolbar button in IE

ProxyPal download and review - toggle IE proxy settings from SnapFiles

Thank Post
    bmdixon:
    iProxy is a nice little app, only one problem I have found is that if it is set as a scheduled task to run at system start, it works fine on Windows XP, but fails on Vista. It says that the settings.ini file needs to be in the same folder as the executable file. The settings.ini file is in the same folder as the iproxy.exe.
    I have tried a few ways to get iproxy to run automatically at system start on Vista. I used a link to iproxy in the startup folder, which worked, but I wanted to create a file that would copy it into this folder, plus doing other stuff. I have been unable to get this to work at present, so thought I would try a scheduled task, but this is failing.
    My old script works fine on XP, but I have been unable to get this working on Vista, so I took a look at iproxy & it works well on Vista, but I just need a way to get it to run at startup.
    Hope this makes sense to someone.

Thank Post
    I created a folder on the c drive called iproxy and copied the files there, then created a shortcut in the statup folder. Seems to work fine.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kestrel1 View Post
    bmdixon:
    iProxy is a nice little app, only one problem I have found is that if it is set as a scheduled task to run at system start, it works fine on Windows XP, but fails on Vista. It says that the settings.ini file needs to be in the same folder as the executable file. The settings.ini file is in the same folder as the iproxy.exe.
    I have tried a few ways to get iproxy to run automatically at system start on Vista. I used a link to iproxy in the startup folder, which worked, but I wanted to create a file that would copy it into this folder, plus doing other stuff. I have been unable to get this to work at present, so thought I would try a scheduled task, but this is failing.
    My old script works fine on XP, but I have been unable to get this working on Vista, so I took a look at iproxy & it works well on Vista, but I just need a way to get it to run at startup.
    Hope this makes sense to someone.
    I'll take a look at this, i'm running Vista at home so can do some testing to find what the problem is. It could be something to do with permissions and UAC.
    Glad to see people using it , if you have any suggestions for improvements or find any bugs please do let me know.

Thank Post
    DSapseid: Yes you can do that easily enough if doing it manually, but the UAC blocks you if you try to do it from a batch file, which is what I am trying to do.
    I basically want to create an executable file, which I did for my previous script, that automatically installs everything in the correct place & gets the program running at start up.
    I have been using a batch file to copy the files to a folder called iproxy on drive c:\, but when it comes to getting the lnk file into the startup folder it fails because of permissions on that folder. I found a program called sudo.exe (as you would use sudo in Linux) that will elevate permissions, but for some reason it had a problem with copy. Sudo can be found here: Sudo.exe
    I then tried schtasks.exe to schedule a task to run, but you need admin rights, so I used Sudo. This worked a treat, but as explained earlier the scheduled task failed.
    I created the task manually, just to make sure I had everything right, but this also failed.
    I can run iproxy with the path to the settings.ini file from a command line in Vista, but it fails if used in a scheduled task.
    I used a settings file that was in a different folder to the exe to test this out, so it was using the ini file that was stated in the command. I ran it like this:
    c:\iproxy\iproxy.exe c:\internet\settings.ini
    The settings file had different proxies set to the one in the iproxy folder & they have been used correctly.
    There may be something else that I have missed, If I think of it I will post it.
    Thanks
    Last edited by kestrel1; 20th June 2008 at 06:39 PM.

Thank Post
    Glad to see people using it , if you have any suggestions for improvements or find any bugs please do let me know.
    I use it and its great, the only thing is that it unticks the box that says "bypass proxy server for local addresses'" is it possible that you could try and add this to it.

Thanks Dan

@kestrel1 - ah sorry must have missed your point there

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DSapseid View Post
    I use it and its great, the only thing is that it unticks the box that says "bypass proxy server for local addresses'" is it possible that you could try and add this to it.

Thanks Dan

@kestrel1 - ah sorry must have missed your point there
    "To instruct Internet Explorer to bypass the proxy server for local addresses set this value to <local>. To instruct Internet Explorer not to bypass the proxy server for local addresses set the ProxyOverride value to 127.0.0.1."
    So if you add <local> to the settings file in the override section it should bypass the proxy. There isn't a registry entry for that setting so this is the only way i think...

14. Thanks to bmdixon from:

DarrenShan (4th June 2010)

Thank Post
    "To instruct Internet Explorer to bypass the proxy server for local addresses set this value to <local>. To instruct Internet Explorer not to bypass the proxy server for local addresses set the ProxyOverride value to 127.0.0.1."
    So if you add <local> to the settings file in the override section it should bypass the proxy. There isn't a registry entry for that setting so this is the only way i think...
    I tried this, but it doesn't tick the bypass proxy box.
    There is a registry entry that can be set for this, as follows:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Internet Settings]
    "ProxyOverride"="<local>"
    This is an extract from a .reg file that I use.
    You can add any addresses that you want after <local> if you use ; to separate them i.e. "ProxyOverride"="<local>;192.168.0.1;192.168.0 .2"
    This is set as a string value & does tick the bypass box.
    Hope that helps.
    Last edited by kestrel1; 23rd June 2008 at 11:34 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kestrel1 View Post
    I tried this, but it doesn't tick the bypass proxy box.
    There is a registry entry that can be set for this, as follows:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Internet Settings]
    "ProxyOverride"="<local>"
    This is an extract from a .reg file that I use.
    You can add any addresses that you want after <local> if you use ; to separate them i.e. "ProxyOverride"="<local>;192.168.0.1;192.168.0 .2"
    This is set as a string value & does tick the bypass box.
    Hope that helps.
    Yes, that's what iProxy does. It sets the proxyoverride setting to whatever you put in the settings file, so it should do the same as manually setting it. Not sure why it isn't checking the box but it should work...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast