+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, MAJOR Promissor issues! in Technical; Originally Posted by googlemad Strange if they worked on Friday but not today - I'm sure the installation prompts you ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by googlemad View Post
    Strange if they worked on Friday but not today - I'm sure the installation prompts you for the UNC path!
    Yes it does. Trouble was that the test accounts was placed into the Root directory of Exams.

Thank Post
    ARGH!!!

It all started so well today, we got in the room and every machine was loaded up to the Promissor login prompt.

Tests began, everything looked perfect. Then the problems...

Images and questions not appearing unless clicking Previous and then Next (It had the skeleton layout for the question there but nothing else)

Then a new error which started popping up on random user machines mid test:

"Error 50011 : Could not save session state"

Which kicked the user back to the login screen, and then after attempting login they either got lucky and got back into where they left off or they got the famous "Error 5209 : Cannnot load SitePersistence.dll".

These problem machines then showed the 'Low disk space' message on the client machines.

What is up??? Like I mentioned the tests started fine then just randomly stopped working. Luckily after much trial and error we got them all through the test but it is important this does not happen again as 3 times is taking the mick!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by googlemad View Post
    ARGH!!!

It all started so well today, we got in the room and every machine was loaded up to the Promissor login prompt.

Tests began, everything looked perfect. Then the problems...

Images and questions not appearing unless clicking Previous and then Next (It had the skeleton layout for the question there but nothing else)

Then a new error which started popping up on random user machines mid test:

"Error 50011 : Could not save session state"

Which kicked the user back to the login screen, and then after attempting login they either got lucky and got back into where they left off or they got the famous "Error 5209 : Cannnot load SitePersistence.dll".

These problem machines then showed the 'Low disk space' message on the client machines.

What is up??? Like I mentioned the tests started fine then just randomly stopped working. Luckily after much trial and error we got them all through the test but it is important this does not happen again as 3 times is taking the mick!
    This is definately a permissions issue we had similar on initial install. The low disk space message is normally recieved due to the set up of permissions on the ESM Server Share (and all the folders within). We set up a user Exam and gave them full permissions over all folders. We also set a path rule for C:\Program Files\Promissor. On CC3 for a change it seems to work.

Thank Post
    That would be a interesting thing to look into, I've just realized that the exams that run fine in the Deep Freeze classrooms run under a 'pcuser' account and we set the 'edexcel' account and permissions later. But I'm fairly sure I checked that yesterday and it seemed to have full permissions (Will double check though!).

One candidate sat a test fine, finished before another one so we thought 'Great, we can use the working machine for the problem candidate'. Only to find the working machine had stopped working

I wonder if the fact the C:\ drive profile is a 'User' rather than a 'Administrator' is causing problems.

Thank Post
    Our exams user is just a standard user but they have full control over all the relevant folders. We created the path rule, because I think that during the exam the software writes some variables into C:\Program Files\Promissor on the local machine. We were encountering similar messages at first unless we logged on as an admin user.

Thank Post
    So would it be worth me trying to create a 'workstation only' Edexcel account as a Administrator on the clients (Through the XP Users applet) and seeing if we had any joy?

That way the network profiles policy wouldn't kick in and we could then see if there were any problems with the testing running under 'Edexcel' as a full administrator acocunt. (Elsewhere with the Deep Freeze machines they are set up with a 'pcuser' administrator account).

Thank Post
    I would say that would be worth a try. If it works without hitch then you will know that it is a network policy, if it doesnt you will know it will be a problem with the shared folder set up on the ESM Server.

If it works successfully you can always use this to get through the current batch of exams and dable a bit more when they are finished.

Thank Post
    I'll try that tomorrow then, thanks

Just out of interest is there a email address for Promissor support? I like to use email rather than phone as then I'm not on hold for hours and can keep a record of everything quite easily.

Thank Post
    I use this address sometimes onscreentesting@edexcel.org.uk, they sometimes get a bit funny thought, so I claim that support have been useless, which they generall yare to be fair!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stokesfc View Post
    I use this address sometimes onscreentesting@edexcel.org.uk, they sometimes get a bit funny thought, so I claim that support have been useless, which they generall yare to be fair!
    Thanks for that - It ain't a server load issue that is for sure as we currently have a jam packed exam running in the Deep Freeze classroom without a single glitch!

Thank Post

How we sorted our issues!

Hi all,

Been checking this forum regularly - for various issues and decided now would be a good time to post for the first time!!

Had a lot of issues getting the promissor 'administrator' software to work and kept getting the "Error 5209 : Cannnot load SitePersistence.dll" error, and lots of issues with permissions.

We wanted this setup:
    • For students to be able to log on as themselves
    • Run the ESM on a stand alone machine for the exams officer to be able to log into.

After much tweaking and messing, we finally got it to work:

On the machine with ESM installed

1.) Install as normal following the instructions.
    2.) Give 'Students' read/execute permissions on the shared 'ESM_Test_Centre' folder
    3.) Make 'Students' LOCAL administrators. As they are in a locked down GPO, they don't have any access to this machine, but have the relevent permissions needed to save files etc.

For the exams officer logging on:

1.) Make this user a LOCAL administrator of the machine.
    2.) Give FULL Control in regedit of that user to 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Computer Adaptive Technologies'

On the client machines with Administrator software installed

1.) Install as normal. We install to C:\Program Files\Promissor
    2.) Give 'students' FULL CONTROL over this folder

We have found that students are now able to log in as themselves, and complete the ALAN tests successfully. We have tested this setup to find any security loopholes, and as yet, it seems secure - students don't have anymore access to anything than what they previously had.

If anyone can see any glaringly obvious security issues with this, then please let me know! I'm always happy to get advice from others!

Hope this helps!

Thank Post
    Good timing bringing my thread back from the dead!

How do we set up Terminal Services on the ESM Server (currently Windows 2000) so if by chance multiple sessions get opened the Promissor 'server' utility cannot be started more than once?

We had a problem yesterday where it was fighting against itself 2 or 3 times!

Thank Post
    I see there's an update coming out on Sunday (!) - no doubt it will &^%& it all up again!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpuffMonkey View Post
    I see there's an update coming out on Sunday (!) - no doubt it will &^%& it all up again!
    There is an update

Enterprise SiteManager and Administrator upgrade
    This is to confirm that the next Onscreen Testing software upgrade will be available to download as of 1st February 2009 .
    From this date, you will be prompted to perform the upgrade. Although it is advisable for centres to always be on the latest version of software, this upgrade is not mandatory and does not need to be installed.
    Attached are instructions on how to perform the upgrade. If you would like further assistance please contact our technical helpdesk on:

Think I'll leave it for now got some test on the 5th

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12