+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, "Print Limit Pro" or "Print Managent Plus" in Technical; I had to dump Print Limit Pro off our server eventually. There were some very odd things happening with it; ...
    Thank Post
    I had to dump Print Limit Pro off our server eventually. There were some very odd things happening with it; PDF documents wouldn't print past Page 3, if you tried to print a Publisher document with clipart in, it'd accuse you of trying to print half a million copies and crash. In the end I stopped the kids from accessing the colour printers at all and installed the Papercut Print Logger on the server. At least I can keep an eye on who's printing what and it's a tiny app.

Just my 2p worth

-Michael

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Another +1 for PapercutNG. Got my copy through last week. Haven't time to seriously play with it yet but I had a quick install and glance round and it seems fairly intuitive and easy to use. Also the licenses are a lot cheaper than PMP. We paid 400 for the 1000user license.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Another +1 for PapercutNG. Got my copy through last week. Haven't time to seriously play with it yet but I had a quick install and glance round and it seems fairly intuitive and easy to use. Also the licenses are a lot cheaper than PMP. We paid 400 for the 1000user license.
    WE use Print Limit Pro, which I believe is the same (but with UK support?) been really good, but recently the client has been crashing and staff then cannot print as their work is left paused!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by burgemaster View Post
    WE use Print Limit Pro, which I believe is the same (but with UK support?) been really good, but recently the client has been crashing and staff then cannot print as their work is left paused!
    Hi,

You're correct that Print Limit Pro is an OEM rebrand of PaperCut. Print-Limit is however running almost a year behind in releases :-( We're pushing them to try and keep up to date. I'm not aware that they offer UK support, however I'd recommend getting in touch and testing them out... the client should not crashing! If you have any trouble getting action out of them, let me know and I can follow up from my end.

Regarding PaperCut support, I'm one of the developers at PaperCut in our Melbourne office and would be happy to offer any EduGeeks direct developer level support except on days were England defeat Australia in the Cricket :-) Just PM me. I'm also online early morning UK time (afternoon our time). Also there are two good PaperCut resellers in the UK that are technically focused - ITS and Select Tech.

Cheers,

Chris
    chris <a papercut dot com
    Developer @ PaperCut

Thank Post
    I may have to look at some Print Management software for our system. at the moment we have...none, and the version of PMP we have (that used to run, but not properly) is very, very old!

Papercut seems to be the preferred choice. How easy is it to set up etc?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Very easy. I suggest you try the 40 day trial.

PaperCut NG - Download

There's copious documentation at the above link too regarding implementation.

Thank Post
    wow...got it set up in less than 15 mins.

Very impressed with PaperCut NG. Got the 40 day trial, but can see us purchasing it very soon, as it seems fantastic. It's what we have needed here for years!

Just trying to figure out how to get different costings for coloured pages etc. I can set the program to charge 15p per page, and then subtract 10p per grayscale page, however, I sent a black and white document to the printer, and it still charged 15p.

any ideas?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumaedition View Post
    Just trying to figure out how to get different costings for coloured pages etc. I can set the program to charge 15p per page, and then subtract 10p per grayscale page, however, I sent a black and white document to the printer, and it still charged 15p.

any ideas?
    PaperCut has two types of colour detection. Page-level and document-level (also called standard detection). Document-level is the default as it works with most printers. It works by applying the grayscale discount when the user selects the Grayscale or Black & White option in the printer preferences screen. The info in the link above should help. The key is to ensure PaperCut is detecting the job as "grayscale" as listed in its print log. If you continue to have issues, shoot an email through to support /a papercut . com.

Cheers,

Chris
    Developer @ PaperCut

9. Thanks to papercut from:

Pumaedition (10th June 2009)

Thank Post
    It didnt work for us, but I am guessing that is because we atre using PCL6 drivers, for our printers.

It's nice to see it as an option though....I may try it out later, by installing a PS driver and re-testing it.

Cheers!

EDIT: Just tested a PS driver out on one of our printers...Papercut knew that one page was colur, one page wasnt, and charged accordingly.

beautiful!
    Last edited by Pumaedition; 10th June 2009 at 08:39 AM.

Thank Post

the opposite

i have found the opposite with pcl drivers, print manager plus occasionally will say someone has printed thousands of pages when they have not ( on an epson printer ), i am told this is due to none- pcl drivers being used. i use PMP here, we also have Equitrac express installed to control photocopiers, but i am told that also suffers same problem with none pcl drivers ( equitrac recommend pcl-5 )
    but if you have none pcl printers on the network you will occasionally get a mad page count showing up, i don't think anyone will solve it anytime soon. We have had this problem for years.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12