+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Hel pneeded with setting up wireless network in on part of school. in Technical; I need to set up an area in school to make it wireless. To test it for the next month ...
    Thank Post

Hel pneeded with setting up wireless network in on part of school.

I need to set up an area in school to make it wireless. To test it for the next month or so i have a couple of Dlink 2100 AP. I know they are the not the best but i need to use these for testing before we consider purchasing better equipment. I have set the AP up with the correct security and settings etc. I want to use the Mac Filter option as well. I have a list of all the MAC address of the certain staff laptops that will be using the AP in this area so can drop those in the filter list.

Problem is this, I need to log on each laptop to put the password in so that when the staff users turns on the laptop it will automatically log on to the network. I don't really want to have each laptop back to do this.

Is there anyway the password or similar settings can be put in GPO or can you help me with other methods?

I am new to Wireless combined with GPO...:

Thank Post
    We run a DWL-2100AP in the office...heh. Got a mildly changed firmware sat on it, with power knocked up beyond spec..works lovely.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,696 Times in 2,286 Posts
    Blog Entries
    These might help:
    The Cable Guy - July 2003
    Wireless Deployment Technology and Component Overview

You can only use this method if you set up the more secure enterprise mode of authentication, most cheaper APs that I have delt with do support this and once you get it set up it is quite easy to expand.

Thank Post
    The most high tech way is to use something like a RADIUS server as suggested above. I have a relatively small-scale wireless network (8 aps, 50 computers) so I never bothered. I use WPA-PSK and share the key automatically using my home-made method.

If you use Server 2003 you can simply define the settings in group policy. Obviously, the computers will have to plug into the wired network at some point or they won't be able to recieve them!
    Google for wireless group policy or see here

The very low-tech method is to use the wireless network setup wizard on the control panel. This will give you a USB pen drive with a little program. Anyone can take the usb pen drive and it will set it up in 2 clicks.

I use the pen-drive idea but I've managed to automate it and include it in my windows build process.

It really depends on your context. What are you trying to achieve?

PS. DWL-2100Aps are OK. We've been using them here for 4 years - although they do break after almsot exactly 4 years! We had hardly any trouble with them.

5. Thanks to eean from:

SYNACK (10th May 2008)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,696 Times in 2,286 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eean View Post
    The very low-tech method is to use the wireless network setup wizard on the control panel. This will give you a USB pen drive with a little program. Anyone can take the usb pen drive and it will set it up in 2 clicks.

I use the pen-drive idea but I've managed to automate it and include it in my windows build process.
    Thanks, thats a really good idea. I never thought of that way of doing it, it will be useful at one of my smaller sites.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread