+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Mandatory profiles & GPO installed apps in Technical; This may already have been answered but I'm about to install 80+ laptops onto a pure wireless network. Along the ...
    Thank Post

Mandatory profiles & GPO installed apps

This may already have been answered but I'm about to install 80+ laptops onto a pure wireless network. Along the way I'm realising that Mandatory profiles are the way forward but I'm concerned that these may not work too well if I'm installing software using GPO to deploy everything.

Bearing in mind that the initial install for things like Office2k3, etc... will be handled over the wired network are there any issues or potential hiccups I could hit if I go this route?

Thank Post
    Once you have deployed an application you must fire up regedit and load the hive from the man profile after renaming it to .dat. You can then add the registry entries needed for the app to work with that profile, once done unload the hive and rename it back to .man put back inside the profile and the app should then work.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jsnetman View Post
    Once you have deployed an application you must fire up regedit and load the hive from the man profile after renaming it to .dat. You can then add the registry entries needed for the app to work with that profile, once done unload the hive and rename it back to .man put back inside the profile and the app should then work.
    Hmm.. Would it not make a little more sense to perhaps do a deployment manually on a single machine following all the steps here
    and then installing as the "make changes" part.

That way you've handled all the profile changes?.. Perhaps I'm showing a complete blank on installation approaches now..

I'm now wondering what potential "damage" can be done if either:
    - a mandatory profile has all the data for an install but hasn't deployed the package yet
    OR
    - a mandatory profile doesn't have the new data for a package install but has deployed the package.

Thoughts?

Thank Post
    I find it easier just to add the registry entries into the hive than to copy a new profile up. All I do is logon with an admin account run the software and see what changes it makes to my registry. Then export the reg keys and import them into the man profile hive. But I suppose it's six and two threes really. This way I keep my profile size down to 1.2 mb, I have tried it the other way and sometimes the profiles go over 2mb, so I am in favour of the hive way.

5. Thanks to jsnetman from:

contink (7th May 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jsnetman View Post
    I find it easier just to add the registry entries into the hive than to copy a new profile up. All I do is logon with an admin account run the software and see what changes it makes to my registry. Then export the reg keys and import them into the man profile hive. But I suppose it's six and two threes really. This way I keep my profile size down to 1.2 mb, I have tried it the other way and sometimes the profiles go over 2mb, so I am in favour of the hive way.
    Ah.. of course... sorry for some reason "hive" just wasn't clicking in my head... With you now..

Any suggestions for best ways to monitor the registry hive for changes then? (figure I might as well ask)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread