+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, roaming profiles, deleting local copies on logoff in Technical; Quick question for those in the know: We're currently using roaming profiles, and files are left on the local machine ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

roaming profiles, deleting local copies on logoff

Quick question for those in the know:

We're currently using roaming profiles, and files are left on the local machine when users log off (default behaviour). We've seen occasional problems with server files not being used and local ones overriding, causing untold woes and confusion. If i deleted the local profile on log off (using delprof or similar), will it alleviate the issue?

I can see log ons taking MUCH longer for a full copy on every log on, and the local cache is a nice fail-over should something go wrong. Just looking for any horror stories or tips should i have a try at implementing this.

Or is this simply a stronger case for using mandatory profiles?

Ta

Thank Post
    We always clear local profiles but we don't use roaming profiles as they're a pita. Deleating at logoff can be a problem if you don't use the UHCT Download details: User Profile Hive Cleanup Service but we tend to delete them at station startup to avoid issues.

I would use a default profile held in netlogon for your application settings then folder redirection of the start menu and desktop and then ditch the roaming profiles.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Quick question for those in the know:

We're currently using roaming profiles, and files are left on the local machine when users log off (default behaviour). We've seen occasional problems with server files not being used and local ones overriding, causing untold woes and confusion. If i deleted the local profile on log off (using delprof or similar), will it alleviate the issue?

I can see log ons taking MUCH longer for a full copy on every log on, and the local cache is a nice fail-over should something go wrong. Just looking for any horror stories or tips should i have a try at implementing this.

Or is this simply a stronger case for using mandatory profiles?

Ta
    use mandatory profiles.

Thank Post
    Or mandatory profiles i just find that the default profile in netlogon helps load balance a bit. That is unless you use DFS for your profiles.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,156 Times in 1,595 Posts
    Delprof gets rid of the roaming profiles from the machine which is good. Unfortunately, over time, the roaming profiles grow... and therefore take longer and longer to load across the network... usually it's the recycle bin and cookies that are to blame

I assume that you have redirected as much as possible (especially the home drive)

Ultimately, a mandatory profile will keep things small, but you lose flexibility such as the ability to add to Favorites. With Primary age kids, that's fine. Staff will find this frustrating.

Deleting server copies of profiles on a regular basis so that they are recreated is an option, but then those carefully saved Favorites are lost too...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Ultimately, a mandatory profile will keep things small, but you lose flexibility such as the ability to add to Favorites. With Primary age kids, that's fine. Staff will find this frustrating.

Deleting server copies of profiles on a regular basis so that they are recreated is an option, but then those carefully saved Favorites are lost too...
    It's possible to redirect favourites - it's an option in Vista/2008 GPOs but it's also possible to do this in XP/2003.

If you plan to redirect favourites - suggest placing them inside the home drive itself - so they get backed up.

Az

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 748 Posts
    we use roaming profiles and have had little problems with sizes as we delete student user profiles on logoff so keeping the profile count on workstations down and regular cleaning of server profiles keeps logon times down to approx 25-35 secs depending on spec of workstation.

Thank Post
    We have a couple of lines in our VB login script that moves the favorites to the my documents folder, it works very well and prevents them being deleted.

Code:
    WSHShell.RegWrite "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\Favorites", "U:\Favorites", "REG_EXPAND_SZ"
    WSHShell.RegWrite "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\Favorites", "U:\Favorites", "REG_SZ"

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread