+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Windows Thread, F.A.O. All ICT Managers / Technicians in Technical; Mitch I'd be interested in helping out. We are a selective Girls School so may not have as many instances ...
    Thank Post

Re: F.A.O. All ICT Managers / Technicians

Mitch

I'd be interested in helping out.

We are a selective Girls School so may not have as many instances of Net abuse as mixed schools, but it would be interesting to see what the results would be.

We are filtered by our LEA and for the moment still have Ranger installed.

One network is running off Win Server 2000 and the larger curriculum network running Server 2003. Approx 1200 users, approx 400 client machines of which 164 are laptops.

All users use roaming profiles, we do not restrict USB, CD or floppy drives and they have access to home directories and shared areas from home.

We have an AUP in place and have NAACE and Becta ICT accreditation.

PM me if you are interested in testing it here.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Netman
    @Marcus/Mitch
    I'm willing for you to visit and show me what you can do - however, I do not use roaming profiles and Dorset might be a bit of trip for you. I helped beta test Securus, so have some experience in this area. I would be happy to post my findings here after your visit. What you must realise though is that peeps on this forum (mostly!) really know what they're talking about and if you can't/won't go into some technical details of how your service works, then you will undoubtedly be viewed with some distrust...
    PM me if you're intested in coming down...
    Many thanks

I will talk to Mark and get back to you.

I appreciate that people on this forum know what they are talking about, i can see that from the responces i have recieved.
    However throughout the development of this i have been in communication with companies, Law Enforcement Agency,s ect and i have to adhere with Disclosure Agreements. Russdev i have spoken to and he understands this. Im sure he could confirm that.

This technique was not at first applied to the education sector, it is something i have worked on, and found to be benificial within this area, specifically to protect minors, bit also Schools, LEA's, Headmasters etc.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,153 Posts
    Blog Entries

@netman:
    To my knowledge Mitch has spoken with me, Russell and DB ... he has given me some more information which I can understand why he doesn't want to shout out the exact details of things in a public forum.

Being honest though, part of the service is collecting the information which a number of us could, with enough time and man power, collect anyway ... but the other bit seems to be the follow up work with staff and students to educate them (and put the fear of us into them too).

I wish I could say I had time to scan through everything the students access once in a while just to check ... and to try and collate a list of offending sites that our filters are not blocking.

That would almost be worth having this lot in on its own.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

But how much does it cost? 8O

Thank Post

@Webman

Very Good Point !!

We are currently looking at this.

i will post some ideas i have later

Mitch

Thank Post

@alad-d

Many thanks yes we are very interested and have pm you.

Mitch

Thank Post

Thanks Mitch

I can't see the pm yet but my email is adu@suttcold.bham.sch.uk

Speak soon

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I'd be interested Mitch.

Bog standard mixed high school, roaming profiles, Win2K3 domain with Win2K file servers and almost entirely XP clients. We also have a Citrix thin client system on Win2K app servers. Filtering done by LEA for net and email. Email [Squirrel on Slackware LEA build] not yet fully operational for all the students as yet tho'. We are intending to have a securus trial at some point.
    Only problem might be location - Newtown, Mid Wales.

Let me know if you're interested.

Thank Post

I love securus, it gives you almost god like powers, especially being able to add words or phrases such as "Are you sure you wish to delete", amazing the amount of "missing" work that has stopped going missing!!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Haha! an ingenious ploy there Stewart.

Thank Post

Hi Mitch.
    We're currently using both the LEA filter and a linux box running Dans Guardian, built in house. DG produces stats and various linux utils add to this ( eg. SARG- squid access report generator). There is also a company called securus who'll do snapshots of 'violations' at a silly cost. How can your product improve upon this? If so, any chance of a demo?
    What I'd also like is to know what search strings are going through our permited search engines- we don't have the time to research the code.

Thank Post

Firstly I'd like to express my gratitude and appreciation for the time and courtesy extended during my visit to alan-d's premises.

Just as an update, I visited today, explained the process and package options we have thought to offer, and showed a report outlining the various criteria and recieved from alan some valuable thoughts as to what could be included and offerred in future.

For any information we have a website at www.internetauditsolutions.com which is in the process of being constructed as we speak, and any further advancements will be posted here as they happen

Mitch

Thank Post

REPORT ON INTERNET AUDIT SOLUTIONS – PILOT

As promised here is a report on the Software used by Internet Audit Solutions (Simon Mitchell)

School Background.

This school is an all girl selective grammar school with approximately 1000 students. In general computer and internet misuse is far below the average for say a mixed comprehensive of a similar size. With that in mind we do not block floppy drives, CD/DVD drives or disallow the use of USB drives. We are filtered by our LEA and have no other filtering methods other than Ranger which has a few title blocks in it.

All staff and students use Roaming profiles on a 2003 network, all clients run XP less 30 PCs still on Win 98. In Aug 2003 RM was removed and a new network built from the ground up, hence the results available from this trial are only available from that date.

Data Extraction.

Simon visited the school on 03 Mar, where he explained in some detail how the system works and how it could be used to reduce Internet misuse within schools. At this point I must point out that a Mutual Non Disclosure Agreement was signed, so I am unable to give exact details as to what files were used at present. Also a Data processing agreement was signed at this point.

Simon was able to run his software from a client PC (logged in as an administrator). The process simply picks files from the user directories and copies them to a CD or USB drive for him to take away and analyse. The whole process for 1000 students and 100 staff took approximately 30 minutes.

That was it – no further action was required by me or any of my staff.

Results.

14 March the results landed on my desk. Bearing in mind that there was only 2.5 years of data and the nature of our student base it was still quite surprising to see a large file of reported misuse land on the desk. A CD Version of the report is also supplied.

Internet Audit Solutions had filtered away all the sites and searches carried out which did not meet the search criteria for individuals, however they do provide a list of every web site visited via the school network and the number of hits for each site.

The report is broken down as follows:
    Host Frequency
    Explicit Search Terms – ie key words usually found in any filter software.
    Drug References
    SMS Activity Report
    Personal Web Sites
    Ringtones
    Executable files
    Chat Rooms
    Child Protection

There are many more categories available depending on what is found during the analysis. In our case that was basically it as far as Internet misuse is concerned.

As the report is detailed we are able to identify the user, time, date and the exact URL used by individuals. This was made extremely easy as all other routine access had been filtered out leaving only those incidents that we should know about should we wish to take further action.

Internet Audit Solutions were also able to identify .htm and .html files accessed via Floppy drives, CD/DVD drives, USB drives and home directories. We found this particularly useful, as there are some sites that were already blocked by our LEA filtering service, but students were bringing in by other means enabling us to block those as well without denying access to the drives themselves.

The data collection and analysis forms only part of the package. Internet Audit Solutions also provide the option of holding presentations to students and/or parents on the findings and it is this element that is designed to force over the message that anything looked at over the school network is monitored and recorded. By educating users as to what is acceptable usage and making them aware that misuse is recorded it is intended to discourage misuse of network resources within school. This element was not carried out at this school, but I feel would be an essential part of the package.

Conclusion.

The whole procedure is quick and painless to the school. The reports are extremely detailed and with the aid of a presentation would prove to be a very effective deterrent to any network user intent on misusing the resources.

For a small school like this a further visit would not be required, at least not for 2 or 3 years and the proposed cost would be a fraction of purchasing an off the shelf filtering service. (I’ve not published any prices as these have yet to be finalised).

For those schools that have their own filtering service and especially the larger schools, would find this service, if used in full, extremely useful when compared to the man-hours saved tracking down misuse and administering any filtering software in place. This is achieved purely by educating the users as to exactly what is recorded and the ability to provide evidence of misuse.

This school came out of the process with a relatively clean bill of health; however we are a small school, an all girls school and selective. We also only had 2.5 years of data to recover from. This puts the school at the end of the spectrum as far as misuse is recorded so it was interesting to see how much information was gleamed under that criterion. The information that could be retrieved from a large mixed comprehensive would be phenomenal and money well spent.

Internet Audit Solutions are investigating the possibilities to refine their data collection techniques so a personal visit would not be required, this may also include a package for staff to give presentations themselves. That is for the future. For now I would highly recommend Internet Audit Solutions methods as an additional aid to combating Internet and Network misuse.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions – but please do not ask what files are used to retrieve data as that information is currently covered by the Mutual Non Disclosure Agreement as is the software used. (Not that I know that part anyway!)

The above is attached in word format if you prefer.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

that great lan what would be nice now is to compare this report with a report from a non-selective mixed state school and see how stuff compares...

russ

Thank Post

Last Friday I was aked by our head of ICT to keep an eye on all the it suites (using netsupport), take screen grabs, put names to offenders, disable accounts etc so that they could be then be printed out and sent home to parents/guardians. it was a "crackdown", and as I had nothing better to do (ahem) I played along with it. I'm still getting the fallout from it now 6 days later, answering parents' queries as to why little so an so has had his account disabled, and don't you know he has to get his coursework in on Monday etc. there'll be another "crackdown" in a few weeks to ram the message home. anything that can save me from going through this again I would welcome, though I don't hold the purse strings here.
    beeswax

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast