+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Windows Thread, F.A.O. All ICT Managers / Technicians in Technical; How can you guarantee that it will produce a report of every URL accesses "on the network" since "the server"'s ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: F.A.O. All ICT Managers / Technicians

How can you guarantee that it will produce a report of every URL accesses "on the network" since "the server"'s lifetime began? What if the school doesn't have a logging proxy at all and student profile's are wiped - then surely there won't be any logs to analyse?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

also we often reimage machines every so often so wont pick that

also if we reset a user profiles this deletes all users setiings incuding history etc and then recreates user..

russ

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,336 Times in 816 Posts
    Blog Entries

Sadly this seems like a person doing what ISA + Webspy does.
    And once you buy webspy you dont need to bother paying anymore.
    And it can be done at anytime

Thank Post

@ZeroHour

No not like the products you mentioned.

@All

This is the kind of feedback i want, Lots of questions have been asked, I will look at them tonight as im @ work now. and will reply to you all.

Quickly though my software is just not IE based, compatible with the other main Surfing applications.

Will post later

Mitch

Thank Post

@ Russ

Ghosting does not affect my results on a network

@Webman
    @Russ

I see where you are both coming from, I dont go nowhere near logging proxy so it dont matter if a school dont use them.
    If the students profiles are wiped i can still do it (bit harder but possible)

@ajbritton

The Black Hole (i think ill start working on that one next year)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

but what about if we reset user profile as basicly assuimg you are looking at user profile then if we reset there profile then it would wipe any data..

Russ

Thank Post

Anyone available at the weekend so i can show a report, and go through the concept with them, then report back on here

im in Leeds

Mitch

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch
    Anyone available at the weekend so i can show a report, and go through the concept with them, then report back on here

im in Leeds

Mitch
    Go through the concept with us here and now if it really exists. I'm beginning to seriously doubt it though.

So far you have given us nothing about how the product works. Either it is very clever, in which case revealing a little about how it works will not really do any harm as it will still be marketable, or it is extremely simple, in which case you would obviously not want to talk about it on a forum of experts who, between them, have probably more knowledge of computer networks than yourself and are not likely to be impressed.

It's not my intention to offend, but 'put up or shut up'.

Thank Post

@Russ

Yes your right but i can also look for data sector by sector parsind it even if it has been wiped.

@ajbritton
    I can see exactly what you are saying, a number of people are also involved with me so i will have to talk with them first.

I am more than happy to give you a full concept but i will have to talk to the other parties, and see their views.

send us a pm if poss with your contact details

Mitch

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch

im in Leeds

Mitch
    mitch how about doing a screencast for us record outut of screen give us all a demo to look at..

or other option do a one to one demo with me using gotomeeting and skype and then I will record it my end and upload it here for people to look at

russ

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hi Mitch ... do you have any response to my queries? It sounds interesting ... I would like to know a bit more.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I'd be interested to see what parts of the system this service gets its data from ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Hi

Just have had a word with Mitch on phone basically I've got bit on idea of where he is coming from and some of features do send unique he was basically bit worried that turn into flame war type thing...

He is willing to travel to any place to come and demo it he just wants feedback..

I explained biggest problem is for feed to happen people need to see it

Im sure if you provide number who ill ring you and talk to you will try answer questions...

I understand his position of not want to give process away... but certainly guy sounds legit and basically just to improve safety of youngsters in schools...

Certainly it is unique as it is whole package service...

saw who about few of you offer a telenumber and get him down to come and demo it and will go from there...

Russ

Thank Post

Thank you Russ

GrumbleDook

Yes i do will post them later as im at work now

Regards

Mitch

Thank Post

Hi Mitch,
    I've got to admit I'm a little confused about what your product/service does/how it does it.

I think there is nothing wrong with a company selling a service to schools that uses a logfile analyser to track usage, then for a report to be sent to that school informing them of the abuses. If this is what the product does, then you should clearly state that it is a logfile analyser.

Mitigating risk is very important to schools, if they can pay an outside agency/company to look after internet misusage, it will be a useful service.

As an ex-Network Manager I understand that collecting the data is the easy part, policing the network is the hard part. I would have gladly paid a company to deal with any misuse issues.

For the product to be marketable and successful it has to be clear, to customers, what it is and what it does. Mitigating risk, that is transfering the risk to another entity is a marketable property, as is the service element.

I am concerned, though that it may be too heavy handed. Many a time I was asked to investigate misuse of our system, and it wasn't always the child whose user account was used to commit the act that was responcible. The child was often unaware that someone had used their account. In this case if a letter was sent to the childs parents, who phone the school, who meet with the head and your company, and later get to the bottom of the mystery, it will be both the school (headteacher) and your company left with egg on faces. It would only take one incident of this kind of thing for loss of confidence in the service and possibly cancellation of contacts.

Network Management is a grey art, its not black and white. Misuse can not always be detected and handled so easily, as there are many variables in play.

I'm also concerned that you state your product prevents access to sites on the internet, yet the product only detects misuse after the fact. This is confusing if not a little misleading. If you give a network manager a 10,000 page report with over 1000 urls to block, I don't think they would be to pleased. If your software/product automatically added these urls to my internet filter, it would be of more use, but that would require a lot of effort on your part as there are hundreds or internet content filtering applications out there. As for retrieving data sector by sector, I think your clutching at straws. Although it is technical possible to retrieve some data (assuming its not been over written), it takes a long time (even automatically) and does not provide very reliable results. In short its not commercially viable to do this in a school environment.

Your product also appears to be able to do everything; it must have some limitations, it must only work on certain platforms and under certain circumstances. This again isn't a fault of the product, but is a natural part of any product, its specifications. If you clearly state how the product works, people can understand how it will work for them. If the product scans for cookies or analyses logfiles, the network manager knows that he/she must keep these to enable the product to work.

You obviously have a useful product and an interesting service to offer schools. I think you need to consider how your going to inform your potential customers what it does, as if your try to conseal its workings you will only face scepticism. It should do exactly what it says on the tin. As you've seen from the previous posts, network managers like to know how something works and what it does before they'll let it anywhere near their network.

It might be worth you paying a marketing company to help you with product development & launching. They'll help you describe the product and (or) service, so that customers can quickly understand why its of benefit to them and how it achieves this.

Athough you have developed this service, you might not be the best person to sell it. May companies use ex-teachers to sell educational products, as they best understand how to communicate with schools.

Hope this feedback is of use.
    -Kevin McAleer
    Managing Director
    Advice Factory Ltd

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast