+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Netmeeting Remote Desktop Sharing in Technical; Hey everyone. I've got a system here at the high school that allows the office staff to remote connect into ...
    Thank Post

Netmeeting Remote Desktop Sharing

Hey everyone. I've got a system here at the high school that allows the office staff to remote connect into a Windows XP Professional based machine that has a video card in it with a TV tuner that then splits into 5 different coax lines and goes throughout the school to 5 different TV's and displays powerpoint. The previous tech went with Netmeeting so that a lock screen wouldn't appear everytime the office staff went to connect because of course if she used RDC, she could see the screen, but the TV's would all appear as lock screens. So netmeeting remote desktop sharing was the way to go. However, I just configured a new box for netmeeting. For one, remote desktop sharing is a pain, I sometimes get it working, and sometimes dont. The server computer has desktop sharing turned on and running, but the client when calling in, can successfully call, but no desktop shows up. [EDIT: Desktop now shows up after restart] But on top of that, when the office lady connects, it shows up really really grainy. Like, netmeeting remote desktop quality looks like how explorer.exe looks when its crashed and you can essentially paint with your windows and they overlap each other. It's terrible. You can't see a thing, you have to wave your mouse above each part you want to see like a scratch and save card.

So my question is, if there's no easy way to make netmeeting work, would you recommend a secure free VNC solution? Or has anyone else had this issue and have a favorite software package [preferably free, but also secure] that they like?

Thanks!
    Last edited by link470; 30th April 2008 at 10:03 PM.

Thank Post
    Just wondering if anyone has experienced this issue. I've managed to get a connection to the desktop automatically on dial up of the server now through netmeeting, however the quality is still horrible. I've included some screenshots here of what it looks like when you try to remote connect. Can't figure out why.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by link470; 30th April 2008 at 10:03 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would suggest using a VNC application. These can be run as a service on the broadcast computer and will probably give you less hassels than trying to get netmeeting going. From what I have seen MS has discontinued any development into netmeeting and all of that kind of functionallity is pushed int Microsoft Office Live Communications Server. This means that as time goes on it is going to be harder and harder to keep the netmeeting solution going (assuming usual upgrades).

I would recommend UltraVNC.

Oh and as to the above screenshots I would say that it is not refreshing the screen properly before it captures and sends it, its been forever since I played with netmeeting so I can't think of any solutions off hand.

Thank Post
    Netmeeting has been well replaced by web conferencing, which is much more powerful and flexible. There are two types of web conferencing solutions: hosted (e.g., WebEx, gotomeeting or gomeetnow) and on-premise (e.g., Lync software package or RHUB appliances).

Thank Post
    Another for UltraVNC, can even create a file on the desktop so no settings or passwords have to be entered.

Use it on the three wallboards we have in our call centres.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I know its close to Halloween but can we save digging up the zombies till a little closer, this one has been in the ground at least four years and is quite ripe

7. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Alis_Klar (24th October 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread