Is the new user in the global Address list?
Hi guys. Have just started a new school today that has an W2K / Exchange 2K setup. When you add a new user to AD all seems fine, but when you try to setup Outlook with the new user, it can not be found. All current users are available.
Looking at the AD Exchange info no email addresses have been added, but the mailbox info looks right.
I have never used Exchange so a bit in the dark. Any one case to shed some light?
Is the new user in the global Address list?
I think that you may have added it on a server that did not have the exchange managment tools loaded on it. I can't 100% remember if it was included in exchange 2k but if you open up ADusers and computers on the exchange server you should be able to right click on the user and find something along the lines of Exchange Tasks (this may be under all tasks ->) from here you should be able to make and attach a new exchange account.
It may be quicker to simply remake the user on the exchange server as this will give you an option at the end of the user addition to create a new account in exchange for the user.
As posted, ensure you add the user on a server with the Exchange tools installed this will enable the Exchange Mailbox otherwise you will end up with only smtp services.
Allow time for these propogate through to AD (upto 15 mins) before trying to connect an exchange client to the exchange server this is handled by the recipient update services and not directly by AD.
If nothing has appeared after a coffee break then you have a different issue.
Check the event viewer on the client and exchange server for clues.
Yep added the user on the server using exchange tasks. After running the wizard and waiting the exchange generl tab has the same info as those users with email that works. The email tab however is empty.
No errors in the events logs either.
Can the user get in via OWA?
The things that I would check are:
- check the recipient update service is running
- check recipient update policy in the exchange system manager and make sure that the filter is set to include the user or the group that the user is in
- check that the policy is set to add the SMTP address automatically, also in system manager
- run a manual update by right clicking on the needed recipient policy and selecting update ( also in system manager )
Right I think I have found a problem that may be the cause but never using Exchange before I could be wrong.
I tried to create a new recipient update service but the domain controller listed was a different machine to that of the student server and I get the following message
Now it would seem that the PDC is the schools admin server, so one domain. But the name in AD is not the name of the current admin server. It would seem that they have recently had this replaced to a W2K3 box.Code:--------------------------- Exchange System Manager --------------------------- The RPC server is unavailable. Facility: Win32 ID no: c00706ba Exchange System Manager --------------------------- OK ---------------------------
Could this be the casue of the issue? If so what is the best cause of action.
@sysman - I'm not sure that I fully understand but what I get is that:
The PDC is the Exchange server, the exchange server name in system manager is a server that no longer exists as it has been replaced by a windows 2k3 server with a different name?
This could definatly be your problem as exchange is highly integrated into AD and if it is pointing to the wrong place it will cause massive issues. Might need a bit more information on the current setup to be able to suggest anything though as if it is setup as I understood from your previous post I am not sure how it is able to function.
No Exchange is installed on a domain controller call student-server. When trying to create a new recipient update service it lists the admin server as the domain controller in the final screen, which it seems has been replaced with a W2K3 box.
I only started at the school on friday so still trying to get my bearings.
There is a student-server which has exchange on, which is a domain controller. Currently email works for all staff that are currently setup on the system.
I have no access to the admin server but it would seem that is has been added to the domain as a member server rather than a DC. I am guessing that the old admin server was a DC (W2K) and has just been turned off.
Ah, might be an idea to check out the domain masters for things like schema as they may not have bothered to move them off onto another domain controller which would explain the problems updating users.
How to view and transfer FSMO roles in Windows Server 2003
Right I have taken alook and the following roles point to the old server.
Domain Naming Master
No I am not back on site until Friday. What would be my next course of action?
Your best be is probably to seize the roles onto a current domain controller.
Extra info : Seizing FSMO Roles
If the old server has only just recently been disconnected (1 week) then it may be better to plug that one in and transfer the roles properly however if it has been gone for ages then it is not worth plugging it back in.
After the roles have been successfully transfered you will want to delete the old server out of active directory so that things don't keep pointing to it randomly. If you seize the roles it is important that the old server is not plugged in and powered up afterwards while still thinking that it is a master otherwise it will cause problems.
Last edited by SYNACK; 29th April 2008 at 03:07 PM. Reason: More Info
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)