+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, server fragmentation in Technical; I was just wondering how much does file fragmentation impact server performance. I tried using the built in defragger but ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Smile server fragmentation

I was just wondering how much does file fragmentation impact server performance. I tried using the built in defragger but it didnt make a huge amount of difference. my NM has always insisted that its not a problem but I'm not sure I can believe...

server x data drive
    volume fragmentation
    total: 22%
    file frag: 44%
    free space: 3%
    total files: 407,159
    total frag files: 12,217
    total exess frag: 377,023

folder frag
    total folders: 35,541
    frag foders: 10
    excess folder frags: 1,132

but what to do about it?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    On a machine that full you will have problems; it's a bad idea to drop below 10% free space (and I suspect you'll have errors in the log warning you!) Freeing up some space will make things better; I don't know if defragging will speed things up then but it will be able to actually tidy up (you need some empty space to move things in to so you can stop them being defragmented)

I've *never* seen any measurements of speed improvements caused by defragging - I've seen people say it's faster but they never seem to measure anything so I don't trust them :-)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    free space is 35gb/160gb so thats not so bad. its got user areas on, thats why there's so many files.
    I know on the proper version of diskeeper you get a graph that shows speed improvement from defragging.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by browolf View Post
    free space is 35gb/160gb so thats not so bad. its got user areas on, thats why there's so many files.
    I know on the proper version of diskeeper you get a graph that shows speed improvement from defragging.
    you say you have 3% free space above, but if you had 35GB free on a 160GB drive thats 35/160*100=22% free space?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by somabc View Post
    you say you have 3% free space above, but if you had 35GB free on a 160GB drive thats 35/160*100=22% free space?
    no no the data I listed was from the defrag report. ie

total fragmentation: 22%
    file fragmentation: 44%
    free space fragmentation: 3%

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    It's recommend you run Scan Disk prior to running Defrag, as this will remove any errors that currently exist, or at least try to repair them (as required).

Defragging is only noticeable when you move/copy/delete huge amounts of data (regularly). I'm talking Gigabytes of data, which is something a graphic designer or video editor would probably be working with. With servers (generally speaking) it's hundreds or thousands of small files, so in practice running Defrag will show no visible speed increases.

However if you still wish to proceed, then it's something I would definitely recommend you schedule in the early hours of the morning as it will create a lot of disk activity and create slow down on your network.

There's no need to use third party tools, as Windows 2000/XP/2003 and probably Vista all have the tools required 'out the box'.

Thank Post

Smile defrag

The degree of performance improvement after a defrag would depend on the degree of fragmentation before the defrag. On the whole, I'd think there would be a detectable performance increase after defragmenting a heavily fragmented drive, especially for sequential read/write operations. Atleast, that's what I've noticed generally, but I have not conducted any scientific tests either.

From an anecodotal perspective, just last week, i defragmented my sis's year old XP pro laptop (that had never been defragged) and the increase in responsiveness was clearly detectable. Launching Opera used to take 10-15 seconds, but it's now down to 3-4 seconds (rough estimates). And I did not even do a 'proper' defrag, since I used the Windows utility; the PF and MFT are still in 3 or 4 pieces and overall file fragmentation is still 3x% on a 80GB drive.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    i've found auslogic's free defrag which seems to do a good job :-)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread