+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Anyone on CC3 2003 R2? in Technical; I've been looking to do the R2 upgrade (basically for the quality file screening) for our server 2003. However, we're ...

Thank Post

Anyone on CC3 2003 R2?

I've been looking to do the R2 upgrade (basically for the quality file screening) for our server 2003.

However, we're on CC3 (please, no suggestions to get off it) and we've been told that RM dont support a CC3 upgrade. They will provide new servers with 2003R2, but they dont support upgrades and seem to want little to do with it.

I wondered if anyone else who has CC3 have done the R2 upgrade??

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts
    I support one CC3 network which runs on Windows Server 2003 SP2. I don't run R2 (not at this site anyway).

So if I've understood correctly, RM will supply a new server with 2003 R2 installed? If that's the case then you should be able to install it.

All R2 is, is additional tools for Windows Server 2003 (as I am sure you know). When RM install Windows, they also would install Windows Server 2003, install SP2 (if required), then install R2.

I would recommend you perform a full system backup, including the System State (very important) before you upgrade anything. Installing R2 involves updating the schema first, so it's important you have a backup of everything.

Thank Post
    This of course is all in theory and unfortunately because RM do all kinds of weird and wonderful things to a perfectly working Active Directory, I'm not prepared to stick my neck out and say everything will work fine.

You may also want to check your RM Terms and Conditions if you have a support contract. It may make it invalid if you perform what they would consider an unauthorised upgrade.

Thank Post
    I think all our DCs are running 2003 SP2 (comes with SR6) but not even our newest server came with SR2. I'd double check that they actually supply it, maybe the person you spoke to was thinking of SP2 instead.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    So if I've understood correctly, RM will supply a new server with 2003 R2 installed? If that's the case then you should be able to install it.

All R2 is, is additional tools for Windows Server 2003 (as I am sure you know). When RM install Windows, they also would install Windows Server 2003, install SP2 (if required), then install R2.
    When I asked about R2 for CC3, they said they didnt class it as an upgrade and they dont support it for CC3. They do however, provide it as standard for CC4 (but its not an upgrade!).

If you require a RM server rebuild, they can also provide it with R2.... just no upgrade path. After a meeting with the CC4 development team I was told RM have not tested or validated R2 CC3 upgrades and (to cover arses) they are not supported.

This is not SP2 related.

All I want is file screening!!
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 23rd April 2008 at 09:06 AM.

Thank Post
    I can see RM telling you this for two reasons:

1. They probably haven't tested R2 with CC3 and as a result (like myself) are not going to stick their neck out and say it'll work.

2. They can sell you a nice shiny server with CC4 installed, which would come with R2 as standard. Any Server 2003 license you buy now is R2.

I think the issue (in my opinion) is the process to get an R2 server working with CC3 or CC4. Installing Server 2003, applying SP2 for security, applying R2 (updating the schema) and then installing CC3 or CC4. It probably has to be done in that order.

Could you not (in theory) create an RM member server (which would still include components of CC3 or CC4) and apply R2 to this for testing purposes?

If all this sounds too much hassle, then I probably would look at a CC4 server in the 12 months, that is if you wish to remain with RM! It's causing you a major hassle for what is normally a standard upgrade. CC4 supports XP and Vista clients, so you don't necessarily need to use Vista at the moment

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Could you not (in theory) create an RM member server (which would still include components of CC3 or CC4) and apply R2 to this for testing purposes?

If all this sounds too much hassle, then I probably would look at a CC4 server in the 12 months, that is if you wish to remain with RM! It's causing you a major hassle for what is normally a standard upgrade. CC4 supports XP and Vista clients, so you don't necessarily need to use Vista at the moment
    I've got an old server (1ghz, single cpu) back, it needs demoting from a DC before I do anything tho (complains that the forest needs doing first).

I was also thinking of setting up forest and a second server in VM.. but this will be quite abit more work.

We are looking into CC4, but we have 12 DC and 3 members... its expensive for CC4, but TOO expensive to rebuild the servers for this.

Altho I use Vista on my machine, the CC3 network wont be going near it. Pile o poo.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread