+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Promethean resources upkeep in Technical; My IT Director wants me to come up with a way to constantly keep all of our teachers updated. Meaning, ...
    Thank Post

Promethean resources upkeep

My IT Director wants me to come up with a way to constantly keep all of our teachers updated. Meaning, she has additional content she develops in a folder structure called district content; and keep general content updated, and not overwrite any of their personal my content.

So I would prefer a way where I have a server where all updated content including her stuff is kept and when that is changed, it would change a checksum so that at the next logon all the clients would see a difference in checksum value and copy over the files from the server without destroying their personal content. Am I going about this wrong.. any ideas to help me along the way?

I told her we could remap where it pulls the my content from to a mapped drive but she didnt like that idea as we have 3 wireless laptop areas where she does training and she wants those kept up to date also; and it would be too slow over wireless.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bestbett View Post
    So I would prefer a way where I have a server where all updated content including her stuff is kept and when that is changed, it would change a checksum so that at the next logon all the clients would see a difference in checksum value and copy over the files from the server without destroying their personal content.
    Would rsync (available on Unix and Windows) do the trick? It's a file synchronisation tool, you could have it run periodically and/or on startup to sync with a particular file area.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Just use windows sync tool?

Or even better just have a share that all the staff have access to? We have a 'staffcommon' where staff can share files, aswell as our learning gateway

Thank Post
    Why not have the majority of the workstations get the shared resources from a network drive - but the threee laptops can be updated at regular intervals using a batch file or something?

Butuz

Thank Post
    You can still map the drive on the laptops. Only problem is they won’t be able to access this outside of school.
    But you can set the laptops up to synchronise when they're in school, If you have several people doing this however I can foresee issues if two or more people make changes to the same file while not in school it'll be fun to see which one windows chooses to keep :P

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread