+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Proxy -> SSL tunnel in Technical; I'm in Ireland where our school's Internet connection is managed by a government run organisation, the NCTE . Webpages are ...

Thank Post

Proxy -> SSL tunnel

I'm in Ireland where our school's Internet connection is managed by a government run organisation, the NCTE. Webpages are filtered very well, too well sometimes. Currently, I'm trying to set up an SSL tunnel that teachers can use when a site is blocked.

By using the service at Silence is Defeat.org, and their handy guide, I've got a working connection. This runs on our 2003 server, as a socks proxy on port 7777, but I'd like it to require authentication.

I Googled a bit for proxy servers that would tunnel through SSL but didn't find any. I then tried setting up Freeproxy, which gave me authentication and supports forwarding to another proxy, but didn't allow me to specify that it was a socks proxy I was forwarding to.

I'm hoping for a nice all-in-one solution as the proxy forwarding still leaves the port Putty provides open.

Thank Post
    Will they not provide an unfiltered access proxy (or rather a less filtered proxy access) for the staff ?

I realise this may not help, but when we found that our LA was stopping our filtering proxy (Inty Exoserver) from working right, we just paid for an extra broadband connection 8mb/832kb from another company, which does for the filtering and allows a few users to get access to some blocked sites.

Thank Post
    I imagine there is no unfiltered proxy because then NCTE would then have to begin managing passwords for every teacher in the country! We can call up and get the filter turned off or set to be a little more liberal but we want it there for the kids.

We also considered getting a separate line in but tunneling should be cheaper and easier. It's working, I just need a password on it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread