+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Modifying GPO software installation source retrospectively in Technical; I've implemented DFS for GPO software installation and folder redirection. Is there any way to change the existing software installation ...
    Thank Post

Modifying GPO software installation source retrospectively

I've implemented DFS for GPO software installation and folder redirection. Is there any way to change the existing software installation packages, without removing them and adding them back in? Something like ADSI editor to modify the source location of the MSI perhaps? Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You can edit it in ADSI edit but it is not really a good idea as some of the path stuff is stored on the clients also. This justs ends up in a big mess and a lot of wasted time putting it all back again.

Your best bet it to remove the existing software in GP but to choose the setting to leave it on the client machines but not install it on any new machines when prompted. Then when you re-add the software at the new path it will install it but it, in most cases will be an upgrade install (over the top) which is hugely quicker than a full install.

With this method the software also remains accessible the whole time even if it takes a while for GP to dump the new installation on. I should mention though that Windows 2000 does not play nice with this method, so if you have ank 2k clients you will need to fully uninstall and then reinstall the software via GP.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 18th April 2008 at 12:21 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the info, sounds about right. cheers

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    This is one of the *really bad things* about using GPOs to deploy software - you can't move it later!

One thing I haven't tried (because I only just thought of it!) is to add the "new" location as an upgrade. This will force a reinstall on anything where it's already installed which would be a nightmare for some big packages but would be OK for smaller ones.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    I've never tried it in practice, but in theory, so long as you keep the same UNC path (after moving the files) then you shouldn't have to do anything with the GPOs.
    Of course, if you were moving the applications from one server to another (which would have a different name), then you'd be stuffed I agree.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I've never tried it in practice, but in theory, so long as you keep the same UNC path (after moving the files) then you shouldn't have to do anything with the GPOs.
    Of course, if you were moving the applications from one server to another (which would have a different name), then you'd be stuffed I agree.
    Yes so long as the UNC paths stay the same it all works out but is still better to use DFS which is best practice. That way you can move the share and even distribute the load around servers all via the same deployment method. The OP is implementing DFS which is a good call and gives far better future proofing. Unfortunately it means that replicating the UNC is pretty much out of the question short of renaming the domain to the last server and calling the domain integrated DFS root the same thing that the original deployment was called. Even then you would need to add a new share to each program folder to keep UNC.

So its doable but probably more hassle than a simple redeploy. :-)

Thank Post
    Massively old post i know... but i came across it while looking to do the same thing.

I have found How to change the MSI file location in the Software Deployment GPO (Mutilple UNC paths for same package) which tells you how to do it in ADSI edit

Skr

8. 2 Thanks to SkreeM1980:

koryo (4th June 2014), meastaugh1 (4th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SkreeM1980 View Post
    Massively old post i know... but i came across it while looking to do the same thing.

I have found How to change the MSI file location in the Software Deployment GPO (Mutilple UNC paths for same package) which tells you how to do it in ADSI edit

Skr
    Nice find, I think the thing to watch out for is the install location may be cached on the client so if it needs to do a repair or per user config it can still fail out as it will try referencing the old location and prompting constantly for the new location.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread